Thailand to reclassify cannabis as illegal by 1 January, 2025

20 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

China isn't happy that Thailand allowed cannabis to become legal and thus, threatened to stop tourism to Thailand if they don't stop it.

The Party is caring for their people's health

• Haha 1

Being a regular user myself, i do agree with many posters but... lets not forget that anything above 0.2% THC for recreational use has always been illegal. All those that jumped on the bandwaggon trying to make a financial killing knew the risks.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, steven100 said:

nonsense .... I think your exaggerating what the effect has.   I doubt the west even knows or cares what they do here. 

Tax revenue :cheesy:   I seriously doubt any or very few paid tax,  I know one thai friend who has a shop and he hasn't paid one satang in tax.   

I said banning cannabis would eliminate all its contribution to GDP, employment and tax revenue.  How is that nonsense? Are you saying the contribution to GDP, employment and tax revenue will continue after the prohibition?

The fact one shop owner, who may be a tax dodger, hasn't paid tax, doesn't mean there is no tax revenue from the entire industry.  Apart corporate or individual income tax, employees have personal income tax deducted at source and businesses with turnover over 1.8 million are obliged to register for VAT.  The above board contribution to GDP is already estimated close to the size of Thaksin's digital wallet scam which the government claims will miraculously boost GDP growth from 1.5% to 5%.  So, if you remove a nascent sector from GDP entirely what do you assume will be its contribution to future growth or do assume nil real effect because the business will remain the same size but all will go into the black economy which benefits liquidity and indirectly boosts official GDP, even if not counted in the official numbers?

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Being a regular user myself, i do agree with many posters but... lets not forget that anything above 0.2% THC for recreational use has always been illegal. All those that jumped on the bandwaggon trying to make a financial killing knew the risks.

Nonsense 😊

Two years later and you still don't understand.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, tgw said:

apparently, there are only "plans" to make it illegal again.

this is Thailand, also known as the hub of unrealized plans.

but I have questions about the legal cannabis now (I know nothing about drugs or cannabis) :

- is the legal stuff currently sold of satisfactory quality (I read about THC limits, whatever that is, I suppose it's the actual drug active ingredient) ?

- is the legal stuff cheaper than the illegal stuff was ?

There are no THC limits with regard to the plant. The limits mentioned are for extracts made from the plant.

It's crazy that two years later people still haven't quite grasped this. It's not 'rocket science' 😊

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1