Why they don't have smoking area?

Yes, I am also a non smoker, as I quit 5 years ago. As it is now it´s sad. At Suvarnabhumi there are no longer any smoking areas inside. The only way for smokers is to go through immigration and reach the designated smoking areas outside the terminals.

On 7/9/2024 at 3:09 PM, Gottfrid said:

Yes, I am also a non smoker, as I quit 5 years ago. As it is now it´s sad. At Suvarnabhumi there are no longer any smoking areas inside. The only way for smokers is to go through immigration and reach the designated smoking areas outside the terminals.

The designated smoking area’s outside the doors are long gone, but I still see them congregating and risking the fine.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 11:42 AM, richard_smith237 said:

- This seems to have been a knee-jerk sweeping regulation made by an official (or group of) without any consideration for the comfort of those the regulation impacts. 

ad it happened world wide... very few airports have smoking rooms these days.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's amazing how effective that was at solving a problem.

Is it really that simple? 

Not a loaded question, because I haven't smoked since high school, before nicotine patches were a thing.  I took it up one winter, and gave it up next spring when the snow melted and I was sucking wind on my bicycle runs through the mountains...

Are nicotine patches available in Thailand, especially in the airports?  And any observations about Zyn Nicotine pouches?  Again, just curious...

Edit:  I'd add that years ago, I started carrying caffeine tablets for those times when a coffee was hard to arrange.  Also, because that plus aspirin eased my frequent migraines.  Haven't had more than one migraine a year in decades, but I still carry the caffeine.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

As an ex-smoker, I used to rely upon those smoking rooms at airports.
But one 29-hour trip that I took years ago saw me in three airports that didn't allow them or any smoking inside.

So I put on a patch.

It's amazing how effective that was at solving a problem.

In fact, so effective that it gave me the incentive to stop smoking. That was 25 years ago, and I haven't smoked a cigarette since.

58 minutes ago, impulse said:

1. Is it really that simple? 

2. Are nicotine patches available in Thailand, especially in the airports?  And any observations about Zyn Nicotine pouches?  Again, just curious...

Yes, it was really that simple. Simple and easy, that is, to temporarily solve a specific problem.

Staying quit isn't as easy. That requires a firm decision not to smoke the next cigarette. The patches alone won't do that for you. They just remove one facet (nicotine) of the problem. The harder part is dealing with the 'habit' of smoking. For many, that takes years to get over. Fortunately for some, only a few months.

NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) products can be legally purchased in Thailand without a prescription and are available in various forms, including patches, gums, lozenges, and inhalers.

I've been a Mod in a Facebook Smoking support group for the past 20 years. If you want to stop smoking, but don't know your options, feel free to contact me, or visit us in 'Stop Smoking Support AS3'  (This group migrated to Facebook from the old Usenet group 'Alt Support Stop Smoking' hence the name now.) There are plenty of old timers who can provide insight into some of the many successful methods used for quitting, and plenty of new people looking for a 'quit buddy' to make things go more smoothly when knuckles turn white...

6 hours ago, UWEB said:

Better to ban smoking everywhere. Can remember the times all Bars and Restaurants are full of smoke and they have given a damm on non smokers. No it's time for revenge.

As a smoker who hasn't smoked a cigarette in over 25 years (Like an AA member who hasn't had a drink,)  I don't think it's fair to 'ban' smoking, nor would it be very effective. Think about the bans on drugs or alcohol. BUT... keeping it outdoors away from non-smokers is imperative. Provide covered smoking areas away from the crowds. Japan has been doing this for years. No smoking on the streets in downtown Kyoto, but there are covered smoking areas every few blocks down side streets away from the public.

Certainly, keep it out of restaurants completely. Nothing ruins the taste and smell of good food like cigarette smoke.

My usual lunch restaurant allows smoking in two areas. When it's crowded with smokers, I will not order better foods as the smoke ruins the taste, so opt for something simple and cheap. The owner loses money each time this happens. His choice to allow smoking.

Yes, why not? As you can get loaded on alcohol, causing lots of problems in airplane.

And why are there still fastfood sellers? Also very unhealthy. 

The air is polluted with many dust particles, nothing done about that.

No, it is the smoking, even in separate spaces. Global, there is a war against smoking.

But still we throw 9000000 TONS of plastic EVERY year in the oceans, destroying our planet.

Ha, yesterday I heard we have to put many CO2 catchers in the country to suck out CO2 from the air!

Not 1 or 2, but by the thousands. So on paper, we reduce CO2.

Im still a fan of reducing mankind, that will save a lot.

It doesnt bother me and I have quitted smoking since 22 years ago.

Dull bubbly bull.....bothers me to hear.......why are you smoking or not and if you already have on hands my Passport to ask me what΄s my name and where am I from?

• Confused 1

On 7/9/2024 at 5:42 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Targeting smokers is targeting the low-hanging fruit - as long as their actions do not impact others, then they should be permitted their freedoms.

Glad it's acceptable to you.

16 hours ago, RayWright said:

Fly Air Iran or Air Algeria, they still have a smoking section in the cabin. Simples.

Well, if they are okay with oppressing women, might as well allow them to oppress other people... Simple

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Yes, why not? As you can get loaded on alcohol, causing lots of problems in airplane.

And why are there still fastfood sellers? Also very unhealthy. 

The air is polluted with many dust particles, nothing done about that.

No, it is the smoking, even in separate spaces. Global, there is a war against smoking.

But still we throw 9000000 TONS of plastic EVERY year in the oceans, destroying our planet.

Ha, yesterday I heard we have to put many CO2 catchers in the country to suck out CO2 from the air!

Not 1 or 2, but by the thousands. So on paper, we reduce CO2.

Im still a fan of reducing mankind, that will save a lot.

Wow.

You must be a champion at expressing logical fallacies....

17 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

all the hip folks are vaping anyway.......get with it man!

Now vaping has joined the joint and bong as a way to ingest/inhale cannabis. Despite being illegal in Thailand, vaping is steadily gaining ground.

Vaping seemed to be the answer to the problem of cigarettes... until the researchers noticed a strange effect happening to the lungs of people who vaped... called "Popcorn Lung."

-  E-cigarette or Vaping Product Use-Associated Lung Injury (EVALI): This is a serious lung condition that has led to over 2,800 hospitalizations and 68 deaths as of February 2020. Symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, chest pain, fever, and gastrointestinal issues.

• Popcorn lung (bronchiolitis obliterans): Vaping can cause inflammation and scarring in the lungs' tiny air sacs, leading to wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath. This is linked to a chemical called diacetyl used in many e-cigarette flavors.

Still considered better than smoking cigarettes with their higher nicotine content, short-term use of vape pens WITHOUT all the other carcinogens found in tobacco is a viable choice for people working to stop smoking.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 7/11/2024 at 1:28 AM, markeewan said:

The designated smoking area’s outside the doors are long gone, but I still see them congregating and risking the fine.

There's still one before Door 1 on departures level.

On 7/11/2024 at 7:56 AM, FolkGuitar said:

In fact, so effective that it gave me the incentive to stop smoking. That was 25 years ago, and I haven't smoked a cigarette since.

So then, the lack of the smoking area at the airport paid for your flight through savings in your nonexistent future tobacco purchases?

And your meaning is what?

That you used the nicotine patches to stop smoking?

Are they really that effective?

And, my followup question is...

Are you still using the nicotine patches when you fly?

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

1. So then, the lack of the smoking area at the airport paid for your flight through savings in your nonexistent future tobacco purchases?

2. And your meaning is what?

That you used the nicotine patches to stop smoking?

Are they really that effective?

3.And, my followup question is...

Are you still using the nicotine patches when you fly?

1. The members of my Stop Smoking Support group use a meter on our computers to keep track of several things. It serves as great positive feedback when we see the numbers increasing.  To date, I have saved or not burned up $170,251.00 USD since I stopped smoking. This figure is based on an average price of a pack of 20 sold in various countries where I've lived. smoked at a pack and a half a day which was my norm.  That would pay for a few flights.'

2. The patches are a nicotine delivery/replacement device only. For the time that I had the patches on in the airports, I had no craving to smoke as my body was getting the drug it needed. They are very effective for this purpose. Used with the proper mental frame of mind, patches are an effective quit aid. Used alone, they are not.

3. You quoted me saying "That was 25 years ago, and I haven't smoked a cigarette since."   Why would I want to put nicotine into my body now? Please explain.

Edited by FolkGuitar

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

1. The members of my Stop Smoking Support group use a meter on our computers to keep track of several things. It serves as great positive feedback when we see the numbers increasing.  To date, I have saved or not burned up $170,251.00 USD since I stopped smoking. This figure is based on an average price of a pack of 20 sold in various countries where I've lived. smoked at a pack and a half a day which was my norm.  That would pay for a few flights.'

2. The patches are a nicotine delivery/replacement device only. For the time that I had the patches on in the airports, I had no craving to smoke as my body was getting the drug it needed. They are very effective for this purpose. Used with the proper mental frame of mind, patches are an effective quit aid. Used alone, they are not.

3. You quoted me saying "That was 25 years ago, and I haven't smoked a cigarette since."   Why would I want to put nicotine into my body now? Please explain.

You do know that some parts of some of my posts are posted slightly facetiously....right?

Anyway, back to the serious part of my comment:

So, you do think that the patches are actually beneficial for quitting?

Because, I have been slightly doubtful, although I have never used one, and although I have been curious about using a patch, whether they are helpful or harmful.

My thinking is that they could be harmful.

It seems more logical to just stop smoking for about 5 days, by which time the nicotine is out of your system.

And so then....Why would one want to add more nicotine back into your system....AS YOU HAVE JUST STATED.  This is why, logically from my perspective, the patch alternative seems rather flawed.

But, I do not know the actual data after research in whatever studies have been conducted, re this aspect.

More importantly, I will check out any app for my Linux computer which might be helpful as a reinforcement to not return to the disgusting habit of smoking.

25 years without smoking is such a positive step for continued good health.

Cancer Sticks are quite low cost in Thailand, which I think is a good thing.

There is no point in robbing from the poor to pay the rich, especially when nicotine is such an addictive drug, and when most poor people wish they could easily quit.

Therefore, there is no point in adding insult to injury by charging them Bt.350 per pack, as the Robber Barrons in the US love to do.

So, I will check out some sort of app, such as you mention, just to help keep me from backsliding, or just for fun, actually.

Edited by GammaGlobulin