Has anyone ever tried a mosquito zapper and is it worth buying one

I'm looking to buy a mozzie zapper but not sure if they actually work to attract and kill mosquitos.    I recently seen a couple of mosquitos in my condo and i want them dead. 

Has anyone ever bought one and if so do they work ...       

Product image โคมไฟฆ่ายุงไฟฟ้าช็อต โฟโตคาตาลีสต์ ใช้ในครัวเรือน อุปกรณ์ไล่ยุง เครื่องดักยุง usb D

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I bought something similar a few days ago because of a few flies in my bedroom. Unfortunately, the flies didn't decide to fly into that thing.

Then my gf used one of those tennis rack zappers and solved the problem.

yeah'   those tennis rackets are good and they work,  I want something to sit on the table and leave on all night and day ...  i only get the odd mozzie when the balcony door is open ...  but 1 mozzie is 1 too many :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We try to be pretty careful about keeping mosquitos out of the interior of our home, and have screens on all the windows.

But when one/some manage to sneak in somehow, I've long used the rechargeable tennis paddle type mosquito "bats" to get rid of them. They work quite well for us, and can be bought cheaply at Big Cs in particular, usually in the range of 69 to 199b per piece for the larger 9 inch-diameter kind.

Experience tells, the mozzies typically like to land eventually on soft surfaces like drapes, upholstry, fabrics and the like. So when I find we have some indoors, I simply make a habit of brushing over those kinds of surfaces with the mosquito bat while turned on, which of course "sparks" every time it encounters and zaps one of them.

I also can walk around the indoors area of the room waving the bat in a sweeping direction back and forth, which will tend to catch any that happen to be flying around me.

That usually rids the indoors of any within a day or so.

PS - Eucalyptus spray is also good from keeping them away from you, either by spraying in the room or spraying some on your exposed skin areas. No chemicals involved in doing that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why don't you get a mosquito screen on the balcony door? about 2.5k baht

I hear ya ...   but I just rent so i don't want.  Just the zapper will do.  

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess if you have such a device new the balcony then it might work.

I have no mosquitos, ever. I live in a high floor condominium, and it seems mosquitos don't fly so high. 🙂 

and Idoubt that you have chit chats 'jing joks' nothing for them to eat

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

and Idoubt that you have chit chats 'jing joks' nothing for them to eat

In my current apartment I don't have any.

But I had them in other apartments, also in high floors.

I don't mind them.

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I hear ya ...   but I just rent so i don't want.  Just the zapper will do.  

The zapper works because the fly or mosquito eventually will fly in to it, not because there is anything there that attracts it because the led lights doesnt work. 

What is good mosquito bait?

Making a combination of sugar, yeast, and water is an effective way to trap mosquitoes on and around your property. "After a few hours, the yeast starts releasing a steady stream of carbon dioxide, which mosquitoes are highly attracted to," says Timothy Wong, technical director of M&M Pest Contro
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The zapper works because the fly or mosquito eventually will fly in to it, not because there is anything there that attracts it because the led lights doesnt work. 

Actually the skeeters are attracted to the uv light

Edited by novacova
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, novacova said:

Actually the skeeters are attracted to the uv light

non of the affordable have uv light and are just led lights

However here is an article 

“When it comes to mosquitoes, bug zappers don't work,” says James Fordyce, an entomologist at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. “I don't know any insect ecologist that doesn't know that.” Bug zappers are exceptional killers of bugs — just not the ones that bite you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/09/12/bug-zappers-mosquito-repellent/

• Like 1

I think the purple, blue or green florescent lights do attract bugs including sometimes mosquitos ... I've seen it happen as others have also.  Not sure why their testing says it doesn't because it may just attract 5% of the total in the room but it does work.  

19 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If by "skitters" you mean mosquitoes then no, they're not. 

As the article below states: 

Are Mosquitoes Attracted to Light?

19 minutes ago, Hummin said:

non of the affordable have uv light and are just led lights

However here is an article 

“When it comes to mosquitoes, bug zappers don't work,” says James Fordyce, an entomologist at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. “I don't know any insect ecologist that doesn't know that.” Bug zappers are exceptional killers of bugs — just not the ones that bite you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/09/12/bug-zappers-mosquito-repellent/

UV radiation simulates/mimics carbon dioxide. Also the skeeters are attached to the light and the heat it puts out. To say or imply that the uv lights don’t have an effect is ridicules, especially with the fan units way in a corner on the other side of the room, no skeeters flying around but they do end up the uv fan can. Really now, be careful of the trash google spits out.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, novacova said:

UV radiation simulates/mimics carbon dioxide. Also the skeeters are attached to the light and the heat it puts out. To say or imply that the uv lights don’t have an effect is ridicules, especially with the fan units way in a corner on the other side of the room, no skeeters flying around but they do end up the uv fan can. Really now, be careful of the trash google spits out.

well you are the science guy on this 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I bought one and it works but stopped using it as the cat found it interesting too.

That's a self-solving problem.  <SNAP> 😁

I'll you need to do is occasionally look at the grid wires - dead sketter bodies galore.  UV light does attract them.  They do work.

• Haha 1

I had several of them. They catched mosquitos but only the few which accidentally came close enough.

Later I read about professional devices which are effevtive because they have the smell and temperature of warm-blooded animals. But they cost several hundred dollars.