Thai People Support the Reclassification of Marijuana as a Narcotic Substance

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

recent poll affirms most Thai citizens are in favor of designating marijuana as a drug due to the concerns regarding its effect on youngsters

Yes, absolutely.

I am not Thai, but I also suggest that marijuana should be banned in Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

GTY_medical_marijuana_mm_160411_16x9_992.jpg

The Minister of Public Health, Somsak Thepsutin, confirmed that a recent poll affirms most Thai citizens are in favor of designating marijuana as a drug due to the concerns regarding its effect on youngsters. Approximately 100,000 participants took part in a June 11 to 25 survey. The survey was part of a public opinion process concerning the plan to include marijuana and hemp in the Category 5 Drugs list. More than 80% of those polled showed their support for the plan. The plan will soon enter the review process by the Narcotics Control Board (NCB).

Once the plan gets the green light, the Public Health Ministry will establish rules to officially enlist marijuana and hemp as Category 5 drugs. It is projected this could come into effect on the first day of next year. This would reverse a decision made by the previous government which delisted these substances as drugs. The earlier decision had been fueled by advocacy for the substances' usage in medical and agricultural contexts.

The proposed rules will particularly criminalize cannabis buds and the components of the plant with more than 0.2% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), while approving other parts like branches, leaves, roots, and seeds for medical usage as directed by physicians. Nevertheless, the Thailand Cannabis Future Network has opposed this reclassification. They voiced concerns that the change could lead to market dominance by those closely tied to the ruling party and that it would curtail recreational use.

The Interior Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, warned the Public Health Ministry to brace for investigations regarding this changed stance, especially in light of the prior decision to decriminalize the substances.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Anutin has a substantial invested interest in the industry so his comments to be expected!

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, watchcat said:

So most Thai citizens are educated chemists?

I say leave it up to the medical community to decide the issue, not politicians or uneducated/undereducated citizens.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

Anutin has a substantial invested interest in the industry so his comments to be expected!

It seems there are substantial interests in re-criminalising the industry, as in tobacco and and alcohol companies. So this government is working for the elites, not the people. You can expect this all to be exposed if they do re-criminalise marijuana. The fight isn't over yet.  

• Agree 1

Sorry but I honestly query the statement of "100,000 participants took part in a June 11 to 25" which would have been to ask 7,000+ people every day. There must be a political script behind all this smoke screen (pun intended)! 

• Agree 1

The cannabis trade have only brought this upon themselves, bunch of idiots. Instead of keeping it low key and respectful like cannabis dispensaries in USA, they went full partytime let's all get wasted .

I personally couldn't be happier its going to back to way it was. out of sight

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

I'm a bit late on this one. It just occurred to me after a beer and a bong. Why don't they survey Thais about alcohol sales bans on Buddhist holidays. Fairly sure the overwhelming majority would say get rid of them. Next weekend Sat 20 and Sun 21 no alcohol sales.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I say leave it up to the medical community to decide the issue, not politicians or uneducated/undereducated citizens.

Why should the "medical community" be trusted? Recent history would suggest otherwise. As for this argument you will get one side saying ban it and another saying don't. It needs full independent assessment from all angles. Medical, social and economic.

• Agree 1