Foreigner and Thai woman get into heated argument on BTS (video)

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Many Thai netizens pointed out that the foreigner should not insult Thai people about their English language skills if he cannot speak Thai, even though he is in Thailand. Some argued that they have also witnessed foreigners standing at the train door.

Others agreed with the foreign man that many Thai passengers ignore others and always stand at the door for their convenience when getting off.

It's good that they got a bit of a balanced response and didn't just call for him to be deported.

Both parties are in the wrong.

• Like 1

The Chinese man clearly doesn't understand what he did to himself from a spiritual aspect with his rudeness. All he had to do was to say, "I'm so sorry." to the woman, but perhaps his parents didn't teach him how to say sorry. 

Edited by renaissanc
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

She instigated his anger by refusing to move when he attempted to board. His reply, although it was with a bad word, seems appropriate. Although, he was not very smart about saying she did not understand English even after she acknowledged comprehension in what he said.

Some people are just way better at shaming others and getting a rise out of them.  He should have quickly apologised and then put the focus back onto her blocking the door and how that is also rude.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The woman must have been entitled also though, right?  Blocking the path and then immediately getting her phone out to harass the guy?  Even if he was rude, that was a result of her blocking the entrance, which is itself rude...

Absolutely!

But seems the man acted 'normally' as per many posts here. So that seems to be the new normal, which the Asians are ignorant of?

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

There are no laws anywhere in the world that state you have to be polite or nice to anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but swearing in public in and of itself is not a crime.

Only if coupled with the threat of violence can it then be construed as assault/battery, which is a crime.

That guy was rude.

So what?

rude people are everywhere. 

Thais are also very rude.

I have had a hell of a lot worse shouted at/done to me by locals over the years..

I think this is just another case of farang shaming and the fact that the woman sent her recorded clip to news agencies just goes to show how petty they really are.

bob.

When I was young, a long time ago, the F word was frowned upon if used in public, now it is part of everyday conversation. when my hero Bill Burr uses it in his stand up comedy it adds to the humour, it's expressive and adds to the drama, it all depends on the tone and the forcefulness used whether it is aggressive, expressive or just plain rude. So yes making a video and posting it online was petty.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

They should just move on the train to let people on, instead of being selfish.

But in Thailand people don't say anything. You don't get confronted for your rude behavior, so people get away with this crap all the time.

It never occurs to them that someone will say something and bruise their little ego.

But in Thailand people don't say anything. You don't get confronted for your rude behavior, so people get away with this crap all the time.

Please travel around and see. On my very recent visits to Dubai & Australia, it was no better.

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Hey tough guy...

Try pulling a stunt like that on a NYC subway car and see what happens.

NYC  home of the tough guys uh

• Haha 2

I haven't seen the video but according to the article the foreigner was asian looking!

"The foreign man, who spoke in an American accent but had the look of a Chinese man"

36 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

It fascinates me.

In Thailand, there are so many unscrupulous people and this society doesn't seem to mind. Such a wide variety of immoral acts are considered "okay"

But the F word is consider so bad in Thailand, like swearing is the worst thing you can do here. lol

Just a small question, for my education purpose, as I am totally ignorant about this subject - sorry.

Do people in any country use the F word (other similar 'colorful' words) when communicating between immediate family members too - Parents, children, siblings etc. etc.?

Posting this kind of video on a public forum should be severely repressed. In fact this gentlemen can sue for libel, but as we know Thai libel laws are applied selectively.

Anyhow, we should start to rethink the omnipotence of the so stupid smart phones and dumb social media.

We are living now in a weird world, where making a money transfer requires you to grimace into your telephone for 10 minutes.. I am glad I am in the last 10% of my life, I had a bloody good time while things were normal, even with ADD and Asperger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

There are no laws anywhere in the world that state you have to be polite or nice to anyone.

Only if coupled with the threat of violence can it then be construed as assault/battery, which is a crime.

That guy was rude.

So what?

I have had a hell of a lot worse shouted at/done to me by locals over the years..

I think this is just another case of farang shaming and the fact that the woman sent her recorded clip to news agencies just goes to show how petty they really are.

bob.

Not how petty they are but how petty one woman happen to be. Making a mountain out of a molehill

• Agree 1

The guy was doing his best impression of a Richard Cranium. 

Getting frustrated at a lack of access due to people blocking the way could have been tackled better without profanity. 

I hope he had a nice drink once he got home and calmed down. 

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

He said he did ask in Thai.

Obviously nobody moved, so he pushed by the people and said, "get the <deleted> out of the way"

A woman heard the swear word and started recording to confront him like he's a naughty child, lol

Why can't they just be decent people and let others on?

And she's trying to claim some moral high ground in this equation. 😆 

It's the ever present concept of face that many westerns fail to understand before they come to Asia, it can actually have fatal consequences. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Posting this kind of video on a public forum should be severely repressed. In fact this gentlemen can sue for libel, but as we know Thai libel laws are applied selectively.

Anyhow, we should start to rethink the omnipotence of the so stupid smart phones and dumb social media.

We are living now in a weird world, where making a money transfer requires you to grimace into your telephone for 10 minutes.. I am glad I am in the last 10% of my life, I had a bloody good time while things were normal, even with ADD and Asperger.

He can't sue for libel or defamation, there is no liability for filming someone in public. If anything the guy should be arrested for disorderly conduct, or the Thai equivalent. . I don't know how you transfer money, but I use Wise to send money to Thailand and it usually comes in 12-24 hours, flat rate of $20, and they charge the actual exchange rate. I have an account at Kasikorn Bank, and their phone app lets me do international transfers back to the US, they convert it to dollars before it leaves, it shows up to my bank as a common ACH deposit with no fees on that end, and Kasikorn charges 250 baht. Thailand to the US in 12 hours. I send my income to Thailand once a month which covers me for my income requirements for my non O retirement visa, It appears once a month, and then it's back to me in 24 hours. Also, the phone is a machine and a tool, the problem is behavioral, the people who can't get their noses out of it and become addicted to it. It's like blaming the car for the accident. I use mine for phone calls, sometimes texts which include security codes that are necessary in today's world, I use it for shopping and other lists, it has photos of all my documents from drivers license to passport and bus/train/airline tickets, it's a guitar tuner, a flashlight, skype for free international phone calls, and a hundred other useful things. I'm sorry if you're having all this trouble in your old age, but old people always have a hard time keeping up with changes in the world. As to "normal", normal is not the things that once were, normal is in the now. It's as they say the new normal. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

That guy was rude.

So what?

bob.

In your case bob the shooting/abuse by Thais would've been thoroughly deserved.

• Sad 1