Thai woman wins 9 million baht from UK bet

They'll regret revealing the win, honestly, as it's tax exempt winnings in the UK, they'd be better off investing in a property there or putting it in the S&P with the new Foreign Income taxes especially as you've just announced it to the world, should have at least had said it was his winnings and had him only come for 179 days this year

17 hours ago, eggzthaioz said:

It's not about being negative, it's about the reality of living in Thailand. 

All the relatives and friends will be circling like vultures.

Thais find in it extremely difficult to say no when they're asked by family or friends for a loan. They know they probably won't get it back as well.

Hope a brother or family member isn't building the house as that would be another story.

Cheers

Tom

Unfortunately this is the truth of the matter. 
Best advice is to marry an only child orphan with no children. 

9 hours ago, TedG said:

The sum of 200K is not what is used to be. 

It would be life changing for about 80 percent of the Thai population

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, flexomike said:

It would be life changing for about 80 percent of the Thai population

i don't agree because, for most Thai people, this lump sum will not last a lifetime.

thais do struggle with handling or budgeting money. i'm fairly sure that some of them

would end up in debt within a few years time ...

8 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i don't agree because, for most Thai people, this lump sum will not last a lifetime.

thais do struggle with handling or budgeting money. i'm fairly sure that some of them

No matter what happens it still would be a life changing experience

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Wondering if the new Thai Tax laws may affect these UK winnings when transferred here. In any case, extra money is always a positive. Congrats :thumbsup:

Shouldn't be because, as with the lottery in the UK, tax is garnered at source (on the ticket). The Thai system will likely not see it like that though. 🙂

Not read rest of replies since it will just be negative tripe like the first comment. Sorry, just don't get it. Clearly a nice lady who has worked her A off and been with him with years.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

It is unbelievable how you generalise ALL Thai people. Are you judging them by your own standards, or are you living amongst such a crowd. Majority of Thai people will not go behind foreigners nor even get into casual conversations with them. It is in the bar atmosphere that most Thais are so ga-ga over drunk, elderly foreigners.

In any society there is the good and the bad - it is up to you to choose where you fit in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, motdaeng said:

i don't agree because, for most thai people, this lump sum will not last a lifetime.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

It is unbelievable how you generalise ALL Thai people ...

i wrote most thai ... and not all thai ...  funny, changing my worlds and blame me ... never mind!

Edited by motdaeng

On 7/13/2024 at 10:09 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 40 year old Thai woman living in the UK transformed her life by winning a substantial £200,000 (approximately 9 million baht) from a £1 bet on the Nifty Fifty game through Betfred. This windfall has allowed her to leave her demanding 14-hour workdays behind and plan a return to Thailand to live her dream life.

Araya Curry, who previously worked as a cleaner in a healthcare facility during the day and as a waitress in the evening, is now preparing to say goodbye to her minimum wage jobs in the UK.

The substantial prize, equivalent to over 9.3 million baht, came from a modest investment of just 47 baht. This newfound wealth will enable her and her family to enjoy a comfortable life and has accelerated their plans to purchase land and build a home in Thailand.

Construction on their six-bedroom house has already begun, a project which had been part of a 10-year plan for Araya and her husband, 45 year old Andy.

“I have been working 14 hours a day for a long time, so this wonderful win has completely changed my life and Andy’s. It’s not just for me but for our children as well. We had a 10-year plan to buy land in Thailand and live there, and now the construction of our six-bedroom house has started.”

Andy, a former firefighter who met Araya 20 years ago while on vacation, expressed his disbelief at their good fortune.

“I still can’t believe you can win £200,000 from just a £1 bet. We want to sincerely thank Fred Done, the CEO of Betfred. Our new dream home in Thailand, valued at £43,000, is currently under construction.”

Fred Done, the CEO of Betfred, has been invited to visit the Curry family’s dream home in Thailand once it is completed as a gesture of gratitude, reported Sanook.

“In our 57-year history, there has never been a more deserving winner than Araya. She and her husband work incredibly hard and deserve all the good fortune in the world.”

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Sanook

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Great story, now I would like to see a Westerner have a win like that on the Thai lottery.

9 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i wrote most thai ... and not all thai ...  funny, changing my worlds and blame me ... never mind!

Oooops sorry. My bad.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Don't forget that the Inland Revenue is going to want a cut of that.  Depending on their gross income, they'd better plan a house minus 39-48%.

Surely if the couple are living in Thailand they could just cancel their UK bank account and keep the Thai one so the Inland revenue can't get near it. But something tells me it won't be as easy as that.

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are correct, I think.

I have a friend, a Thai female friend, who once told me that the thing she fears most is her family and neighbors asking for loans.

She needs all her income to pursue her plans for her and her son.

She counts every Baht, and saves what she can, planning for a brighter future for her and for her son.

She is super fearful of friends and family asking for loans.

Although I have lived here for quite a while, I did not realize that there is this problem.

In Taiwan, yes, there is a huge problem with loans that are made from friends, and from the Chinese Hui System.  I did not realize that this also exists in Thailand.

So, if someone wins the lottery, and wins fairly big...then...I can imagine what is bound to happen here.

There is a very simple word. NO!

• Agree 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:47 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

You are correct, I think.

I have a friend, a Thai female friend, who once told me that the thing she fears most is her family and neighbors asking for loans.

She needs all her income to pursue her plans for her and her son.

She counts every Baht, and saves what she can, planning for a brighter future for her and for her son.

She is super fearful of friends and family asking for loans.

Although I have lived here for quite a while, I did not realize that there is this problem.

In Taiwan, yes, there is a huge problem with loans that are made from friends, and from the Chinese Hui System.  I did not realize that this also exists in Thailand.

So, if someone wins the lottery, and wins fairly big...then...I can imagine what is bound to happen here.

Sometimes in life people simply have to learn to say no, this is not happening. Sorry but everybody's asking for money, because for some reason they think I have money, and I'm not lending. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sometimes in life people simply have to learn to say no, this is not happening. Sorry but everybody's asking for money, because for some reason they think I have money, and I'm not lending. 

Even if you were to raise your interest rates through the roof, lending money would still be unwise.

As in Taiwan, I suspect that many casual lending is rarely repaid, in full.

What we need is to bring back the Pound of Flesh rule, ....maybe....

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, neeray said:

It's right in the headline of the article, in bold print like this. But here, I'll make it easy for you. It was a 1 pound bet.

Got that bit genius, but what was the one pound bet on.

• Sad 1

I have not read all replies so excuse me if I repeat somebody's response. 

I'm not sure how old the children are but seems a bit selfish to bring kids brought up in the west to the boonies it may well be the parents idea of heaven but I doubt if many on this forum would do it .

I should assume many oldies have a 2nd family here now and kids are doing great but they were born here don't know anything different  

Turning clock back would they bring there first family here 🤔 

On 7/13/2024 at 12:15 PM, CharlieKo said:

Sorry but 200K GBP is hardly a life changing amount. Not even for Thailand. But I wish them luck. 

Not a life changing Amount for Some People who got It All but for normal hard working people It's life changing giving them a big Breather .

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Surely if the couple are living in Thailand they could just cancel their UK bank account and keep the Thai one so the Inland revenue can't get near it. But something tells me it won't be as easy as that.

As about half a dozen people have already pointed out, there is no tax on gambling/lottery winnings in the UK so they don't need to move the money to avoid UK taxes.

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

As about half a dozen people have already pointed out, there is no tax on gambling/lottery winnings in the UK so they don't need to move the money to avoid UK taxes.

Yes , but I didn't know that when I wrote my post, but read my last sentence.

Thai gov will take their 3 million baht off the top and her greedy relatives and friends will beg, manipulate and borrow the rest

she is a sitting duck w/o financial mgt skills and will be back to square one…I give her 3 years and then she can  bone up on her pattaya salad skills 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1