U.S. Citizen travelling to U.S. with Thai License?

Hi,

I'm a U.S. Citizen with a Thai Drivers License and no U.S. drivers license.

The car rental companies in the U.S. offer a much lower price to Thai residents.

I've been on a retirement visa for years and own my own place in Thailand.

The price for U.S. residents is dramatically different on the websites.

The problem is, I'm not sure whether the U.S. rental companies will consider me as a Thai resident because

I only have a U.S. Passport. 

The discount websites that find deals from the different u.s. rental companies, have said to contact the local u.s. company,

but i'm met with a call center where the person literally doesn't have a clue and there's no way to talk with the local branch.

If any U.S. citizen has experience with this, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

JOhn

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I don't really know but I would think that if they will accept the Thai driver's licence as proof of identification then they would give you the discount. But I am not sure they would accept that alone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

In California, you can rent a car and drive for up to six months with a valid passport and Thai driver's license.

I assume that means you can legally drive a car (non rental) without an (in country) license. Is that true? If so that’s news to me. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, john 111 said:

The car rental companies in the U.S. offer a much lower price to Thai residents.

Can you share some examples? City/Airport, duration, total quotes.

I would think you'd have to show the passport of the country you claimed in the booking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I assume that means you can legally drive a car (non rental) without an (in country) license. Is that true? If so that’s news to me. 

Yes you can use an out of country license...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I would think you'd have to show the passport of the country you claimed in the booking.

Yes, it's confusing. The price difference is substantial with economy car rentals as an example. But there's very little clarity etc.

On 7/14/2024 at 2:14 AM, john 111 said:

Hi,

I'm a U.S. Citizen with a Thai Drivers License and no U.S. drivers license.

I've been on a retirement visa for years and own my own place in Thailand.

The price for U.S. residents is dramatically different on the websites.

The problem is, I'm not sure whether the U.S. rental companies will consider me as a Thai resident because

I only have a U.S. Passport. 

The discount websites that find deals from the different u.s. rental companies, have said to contact the local u.s. company,

but i'm met with a call center where the person literally doesn't have a clue and there's no way to talk with the local branch.

If any U.S. citizen has experience with this, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

JOhn

Month long rental in USA April 2023. Atlanta Airport  to Washington, DC. Airport. No issue using my Thai Driver's License. Same as you. US citizen (Passport) retired in Thailand 13 years, no US state Driver's License.

• Like 2

True, the TL licence is accepted. Check its expiration and condition. Contrary to the above, I use Hertz Gold online with my DL, credit and debit cards pre-registered. The Thai DL gives you full insurance coverage. With Hertz Gold you skip the desk and walk out onto the lot and make a choice!

Go to TripAdvisor to check the rental company NOW. Some low price franchises are horrendous but not the America's corporate locations.

Last piece of advice, what side of the road do you plan on driving on? A miner yelled that at me in Elko.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:37 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

In California, you can rent a car and drive for up to six months with a valid passport and Thai driver's license.

Get an International Driver's License before you leave.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Expat4life66 said:

Yes you can get the Thai rate, just book online in Thailand, don't use a VPN and if you are a preferred customer, dont use that number.  I return to the US annually for a month to visit parents, and I have a valid Thai and US license.    When picking up the car, the counter agent may ask how you got the lower rate (happened to me 1 out of 8 times), I showed my Thai ID and license with no issues. 

Booking at Hertz seems to have the best rates where I fly and the Thai website rate ALSO includes the car coverage (CDW) and liability insurance (LDW or whatever its called now).  Using the US site, rates with the two insurance add-ons are double what they are on the Thai site.  They used to offfer an even less expensive monthly rate, but I was only able to find weekly rates for my next trip.  

Another tip, book something then check back every couple weeks, the rates are demand based and change frequently.  I was able to save an additional 25% by deleting my original booking then rebooking the same vehicle type when I found a lower rate two months later.

Regards,

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

You've gotten a number of good comments.  The Thai DL has your Thai address on it.  After they started putting that on them, I dropped my US DL and quit getting an International permit.  Never had any more problems.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You've gotten a number of good comments.  The Thai DL has your Thai address on it.  After they started putting that on them, I dropped my US DL and quit getting an International permit.  Never had any more problems.  

Yes. California vehicle code states IDP is not recognized in CA. Also, it should not be needed as it is only a translation document and Thai licenses have info in English. I once found a website giving the details how officers are required to "file" driving offenses for those with foreign driver's licenses. I think there is also a federal law somewhere stating foreign licenses are recognized, but it has been years since I saw the statute online.

Edited by scoutman360
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/14/2024 at 1:19 AM, Robert Paulson said:

The length of time varies by state, but yes you can.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 5:13 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Why? Makes no sense, just extra work for no added value.

???

If I return to visit my family in WA State I'm required to have an IDP along with my foreign license. 

Bottom line - Each state is different.  Check with DMV in the state(s) you plan on visiting. 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks very much for your suggestions....

Here's what i still can not figure out....

When i go to rent the car as a "non local resident,"

(i'm renting the car in California but live here)

as is seen in the picture it says,

Original, physical drivers license that matches your passport + original physical internatial driving permit.

What does it mean that it matches my passport? My passport is from the U.S.?

By the way the rates are dramaticly lower when searching via skyscanner in Thailand...

or the other option which is... you can see below....

but for this, i don't have a local licence etc....

I've tried calling the rental company call center, but i get someone who isn't familiar and they tell me to book it as a u.s. resident....

Thanks for your help. I can not get my head around this.

Best, 

John

imalocalresident.png.3470c2fbc2a01597c2917d52fac24448.pngImnotalocalresident.thumb.png.dc4b3da2335cd9fe4be49c130d7ddf37.png