Thai Man Arrested Over Alleged Rape of Ukrainian Woman on Koh Samui

webfact

2 hours ago, Sig said:

I'm definitely with you on the death penalty, but the facts need to be established, and not by hearsay, thus the need for a trial.

Not hearsay, but solid testimony from credible witnesses, video footage and DNA evidence, that kind of thing. In some US states many people who are sentenced to death cost the state 60 million dollars, as they have an extensive appeal process. That kind of thing simply needs to be eliminated from the system for it to be effective. 

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A very bold statement...  when many daughters are out at all hours bringing home the bacon..

Yes there is young girl maybe between 8 and 10 years old who has been selling flowers at all hours of the night for a long time at Patong beach around O Top and beach bars.

6 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

chemical castration would best serve rape cases and rapists and eradicate re-occurrences without any loss of lfe. Taking a life should result in you losing yours. Rape......? Despicable as it is I dont think it warrants death. It's pretty close though. 

Castration does not stop a habitual sex offender.

I never believed that such thing as rape is possible in tranquil and friendly Thailand. All looks so nice and calm. 

Until I spoke with neighbor [colonel of RTP] about the scale of cases here.

Mostly they end up with monetary resolution. Too difficult to investigate and too easy to accuse. IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

These days you would be classed as a sexual predator.

Might be true, but laughable nevertheless. It was good to be a [real] man in the seventies. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If it is proven without a doubt that this man did really rape this woman, I have no issue at all with an immediate death sentence, and I would advocate no need for a trial

"If it is proven without a doubt ... I would advocate no need for a trial.

It could only be proven in a trial, that's what they're for!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why waste the state's money on a trial and risk him getting off?

Jesus Christ...   Why waste money on a trial and risk him being found not guilty?   The OAG/Prosecutor's opinion isn't enough to determine a verdict!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NemoH said:

Well it is definitely rape... he already admitted to the act - sex - and now we need to prove the "without consent" part

"Well it is definitely rape... he already admitted to the act - sex..."

Wow, so much ignorance...you really think that sex is rape?

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, NativeBob said:

why 27 yo khun Thai would fancy 32 yo farang woman while there are so many cute and sexy thai ladies?

Out of curiousity? I don't think so.

Near Thongson beach another hidden small beach behind the rock call Naturism Beach . She was there  naked and rape case happened 

Edited by spongebob T

16 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

chemical castration would best serve rape cases and rapists and eradicate re-occurrences without any loss of lfe. Taking a life should result in you losing yours. Rape......? Despicable as it is I dont think it warrants death. It's pretty close though. 

The chemical castration version being reffered to is not 100% effective

Chemical castration has been found to be effective in reducing sex drive and the seminal fluid in a male. But this does not prevent sexual violence or aggressive behavior. Even reducing the testosterone level to zero does not eliminate chances of reoffending.

now, if we are talking about soaking the 3 piece set in battery acid for 24 hours..   ok  that might work !

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NativeBob said:

why 27 yo khun Thai would fancy 32 yo farang woman while there are so many cute and sexy thai ladies?

Bob, that's a seriously sick attitude that you are harbouring. It reeks of sexism and misogyny.....a total lack of compassion, kindness and empathy.

Bob, that's a seriously sick attitude that you are harbouring. It reeks of sexism and misogyny.....a total lack of compassion, kindness and empathy.

Bob, that's a seriously sick attitude that you are harbouring. It reeks of sexism and misogyny. You display a total lack of compassion, kindness and empathy and make light of a serious violent crime.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not hearsay, but solid testimony from credible witnesses, video footage and DNA evidence, that kind of thing. In some US states many people who are sentenced to death cost the state 60 million dollars, as they have an extensive appeal process. That kind of thing simply needs to be eliminated from the system for it to be effective. 

Yes, but how does one know if the testimony is solid and the witnesses credible and any video or photo evidence is presented/interpreted properly without cross examination. This is why a trial is necessary. At first, you said, "without a trial". Now you are making a different or revised proposition re the appeal process. That's a completely different ball of wax. Not at all what you originally said. No trial at all would be tantamount to living under a Totalitarian, Authoritarian, or Dictatorial regime... no thanks. Not allowing appeals, when so many court cases are seen to be totally out of hand, is also not so different from such regimes. Justice may be expensive, but I don't think it's necessarily simply because of the fact of trials and appeals. There's a LOT more to it. I'd be willing to bet that there are hundreds of regulations that could be done away with that are part of that problem. In the end, if you personally or anyone you care about has been screwed with by the "powers that be" and out of control "law enforcement", I believe that you'd be incredibly happy that the system is how it is in the US. Of course, it needs reform, but the fundamental tenets of trial and appeal are as sound as can be.

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Yes, but how does one know if the testimony is solid and the witnesses credible and any video or photo evidence is presented/interpreted properly without cross examination. This is why a trial is necessary. At first, you said, "without a trial". Now you are making a different or revised proposition re the appeal process. That's a completely different ball of wax. Not at all what you originally said. No trial at all would be tantamount to living under a Totalitarian, Authoritarian, or Dictatorial regime... no thanks. Not allowing appeals, when so many court cases are seen to be totally out of hand, is also not so different from such regimes. Justice may be expensive, but I don't think it's necessarily simply because of the fact of trials and appeals. There's a LOT more to it. I'd be willing to bet that there are hundreds of regulations that could be done away with that are part of that problem. In the end, if you personally or anyone you care about has been screwed with by the "powers that be" and out of control "law enforcement", I believe that you'd be incredibly happy that the system is how it is in the US. Of course, it needs reform, but the fundamental tenets of trial and appeal are as sound as can be.

You can make that argument, but some of us believe that the judicial system in the US is very broken, and in drastic need of reform. Especially when the appeals process means 20 to 30 years on death row. When that happens you know something's wrong with the system. 

On 7/15/2024 at 1:38 PM, Cereal said:

The article mentions eye witness accounts. Who would stand by and witness a rape without intervening? 

These days they will be videoing the assault, for "Likes"

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2024 at 11:40 PM, spidermike007 said:

There are certain crimes that once committed, in my opinion are a self-revocation of the right to consume oxygen. Rape is one of them, it is such a heinous violation.

If it is proven without a doubt that this man did really rape this woman, I have no issue at all with an immediate death sentence, and I would advocate no need for a trial, if there are credible witnesses, video, or DNA evidence. Why waste the state's money on a trial and risk him getting off? Again. 

Sounds like she got on his motorcycle. I doubt he knocked her out and had her slung over the back 

On 7/15/2024 at 12:18 AM, ronster said:

Something doesn't seem right about this as it's not a secluded beach area there and there are usually people walking around most times. Have to wonder if she knew him before or did he just walk up to a random woman on the beach and tried to rape them . Plus he was arrested from eye witness accounts , so people just sat watching while it went on instead of doing something ? 

Because it most likely isn't the rape that most commenting on it think it is. It wasn't jumping out of the bush rape. These ppl are similar ages. He was probably chatting her up and she reciprocated. One thing led to another, they both started drinking and got drunk. After it was over, the guy just thought he "got laid bro!" and was bragging to his friends about it. And she sobered up and thought she "got raped"

• Confused 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:59 AM, Reddavy said:

Because thai women will not go with him. It’s called little dick syndrome 🤷🏼

Grow up. This is such a stupid notion. Lower class Thai men have their female equivalents almost all the time. 

The suspect looks like one of those tourist area wheeler dealers who works in the industry. Fraternizing and fornicating with tourists is part of the lifestyle whether it is Thailand or anywhere. Add some naive women and alcohol and sometimes this happens. 

But hey, lets roll out the guillotine :wink: 

Edited by Harsh Jones

On 7/15/2024 at 1:53 PM, NativeBob said:

Sorry, didn't want to offend.

But it seems to me very strange that it was exactly as reported. I'm afraid something is missing.

However I'd better withhold my opinion. 

No problem with me, I understand what you are saying about the cute asian girls but given the crime its a bit of a sensitive issue. 

On 7/15/2024 at 2:01 PM, rubyjuan said:

He is accused of raping her on “the picturesque Island of Koh Samui”.  What in the $&@/ is that?

Typical insensitive Thai reporting!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You can make that argument, but some of us believe that the judicial system in the US is very broken, and in drastic need of reform. Especially when the appeals process means 20 to 30 years on death row. When that happens you know something's wrong with the system. 

Yes, as I mentioned, "Of course, it needs reform..."
This is still very far from your original argument for no trial at all.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:18 PM, ronster said:

Something doesn't seem right about this as it's not a secluded beach area there and there are usually people walking around most times. Have to wonder if she knew him before or did he just walk up to a random woman on the beach and tried to rape them . Plus he was arrested from eye witness accounts , so people just sat watching while it went on instead of doing something ? 

That was my first thought as I was reading this story too. Curious.