!!

Looking for router with SIM card support

csaba81

The D’Link DWR series has been a solid performer for me, ( I have 2 units), and widely available. 

Your choice of SIM card will depend on your area, with Lazada having many options for annual SIM cards at 70-100 5G gigs per month. 

These SIMS can timeout with consistent usage so my routers are fitted with timers that restart them daily in the early AM. 

cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer555 said:

The D’Link DWR series has been a solid performer for me, ( I have 2 units), and widely available. 

Your choice of SIM card will depend on your area, with Lazada having many options for annual SIM cards at 70-100 5G gigs per month. 

These SIMS can timeout with consistent usage so my routers are fitted with timers that restart them daily in the early AM. 

cheers

I had a Dlink with an AIS SIM. 200 THB pm approximately. 15 Mbps. And the router has a reboot setting configurable to every xx hours. I found after a power outage, the SIM wouldn't reconnect, but after a reboot, it would. If the router is in a remote location, an extremely useful option to have. I also bought a Zircon UPS and plugged the router into that. Can run CCTV with that setup.

Suggest looking on Lazada. They have plenty of models. Don't go cheap. 1000+ THB. They sell Zircon too.

• Thanks 1

Fair price and great performance. It's 4G only but very fast and fine even for Zoom calls, streaming movies etc. 

I use AIS SIM.  No issues. Maybe have to reset once a week max. 

20240717_081436.jpg

20240717_081511.jpg

• Thanks 1

Back in the days of buying Internet cards (ADSL) with a validity of a few hours, I used a router (D-link) connected to my phone line.
But nowadays, I use an old phone which is constantly used as a "Personal hotspot" with an Unlimited Sim Card.
No need for a separate router.

• Thanks 1

Sim card routers are gaining in popularity, even in the UK . A friend in the UK has an Archer 600 tp-link , same as Sportrider . My question is , am I right in assuming you must have a decent clear passage to a transmission mast or would a good indicator be a good signal strength on your phone . Buying the Archer 600 is not cheap and if it does not perform well it would be a waste of money .

BTW I have often heard that True sim cards perform well .

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Back in the days of buying Internet cards (ADSL) with a validity of a few hours, I used a router (D-link) connected to my phone line.
But nowadays, I use an old phone which is constantly used as a "Personal hotspot" with an Unlimited Sim Card.
No need for a separate router.

Unless you have a wired Lan.

Edited by bradiston

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Hotspot can be done by Wireless, Bluetooth or USB.
Usb to LAN cables are widely available for a few baht.

Indeed, I use one to connect my rj45 lacking laptop via a type c. But he's using an old phone as a hotspot. I meant if he had devices on a wired LAN, eg a TV box which in my experience doesn't work (well) over WiFi. Before we get into a lengthy argument about this I'll just add YMMV.

Edited by bradiston

15 minutes ago, keithcresswell said:

I have two TP link models. Both work fine they rarely need rebooting.

Well that works for you. It didn't for me. The routers needed rebooting after a fai dap. It was the only way to get the SIM to reconnect to the AIS network.

Edited by bradiston

On 7/16/2024 at 9:17 AM, csaba81 said:

If you use such a thing and you're happy with it, would love to know make and model. 

I bought one from AIS, has both wired and WiFi.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, superal said:

Sim card routers are gaining in popularity, even in the UK . A friend in the UK has an Archer 600 tp-link , same as Sportrider . My question is , am I right in assuming you must have a decent clear passage to a transmission mast or would a good indicator be a good signal strength on your phone . Buying the Archer 600 is not cheap and if it does not perform well it would be a waste of money .

BTW I have often heard that True sim cards perform well .

Sorry I missed this question earlier. 

If you have decent coverage on your mobile phone then the wifi router will be fine. 

(Noting some operators have better coverage than others for the same location.) 

• Thanks 1