31 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Any idea if this visa is good for a 5 year driving license or if it only is good for a 2 year license?

good question.. mine expires next year I think.. 

Thanks for the information,  I've put my application in and the only thing they came back with was, the contract for a job I had to never  showed my name at the top but at the bottom ,  I have tried to attach another with more details ,  if this fails I will try a letter like yourself with some documents attached ,  did you show your full tax return or some basic tax letter?  Hopefully I will be ok but if not could I reach out to see what your letter said ? Kind regards Steven 

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

This makes less sense when you apply with offshore funds as 1) you dont have the funds in Thailand or THB and they cannot check the initial application account balances. 

I've read the entire thread, so I apologise for the question as I think I may have missed something but can't see anything where. Did you show proof of the 500,000 in an offshore account and not a Thai bank? (I appreciate we are not discussing tax, but if the 500,000 does not need to be remitted to Thailand, that could be a selling point for me with this visa.)

40 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

I've read the entire thread, so I apologise for the question as I think I may have missed something but can't see anything where. Did you show proof of the 500,000 in an offshore account and not a Thai bank? (I appreciate we are not discussing tax, but if the 500,000 does not need to be remitted to Thailand, that could be a selling point for me with this visa.)

It can be in a bank outside of Thailand. You will need to download the most recent statement with your name and address at the top. I don't think they accept screenshots.

• Like 1

You boys really love to over complicate or just not bother to read the requirements.

you don’t need to have a single penny in a Thai bank and there is no requirement never to go below 500K THB in your own currency 

10 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Another thing brought up this text translates as 

If literal 'throughout' implies you must maintain 500k thb for the duration of the visa. This makes less sense when you apply with offshore funds as 1) you dont have the funds in Thailand or THB and they cannot check the initial application account balances. 

In my case unbothered as I would have 500k in my offshore accounts always.. The bank demands 100k GBP depsosit for the relationship manager service level. 

DTV money.jpeg

In the benefits package for my LTR, there is a note in red color vs b&w that states that with any Thai visa the qualifications and requirements remain the same throughout the term of the visa.  Just quoting this and easy enough to find.  

"DTV holders, together with spouses and dependent children, will be entitled to a five-year stay with multiple entries for cumulative stays not exceeding 180 days, which can be extended for another 180 days"

Source: TAT

ST

• Like 1

Looked but did not find it on this thread - does anyone know if a DTV means you do not have to report every 90 days.

Also - does someone with a DTV have to report when moving to a new Province ? TM30/28 etc.

If those things are not required then I think that DTV is a far better option than any long term Visa or annual extension process.

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Another thing brought up this text translates as 

Foreigners must have proof of financial status or financial support for travel or have financial guarantors of not less than 500,000 baht throughout their stay in Thailand.

If literal 'throughout' implies you must maintain 500k thb for the duration of the visa

Yeah it translates as that but in reality, it'll be checked upon application and then not again. 

LTR has a similar clause but holders exit / enter the country freely every day and nothing is checked.

The only practical time they may ask for the proof of 500k is upon extensions. If this is an issue for a DTV holder they simply don't extend and just exit re enter, or by then I'm sure a myriad of agents will have a a solution for proof of funds.

Absolutely nothing to be concerned about. 

23 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

You're correct.

Credible sources report now an extension is the normal 1900 as are all extensions, applied for at the tourist visa extension counter.

Not 10000 per extension.

Makes it 4 times more expensive than the LTR.

Edited by Ben Zioner

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thanks George - was hoping to avoid doing that all the time, but looks like they will never remove that 'problem'. 

With the LTR you get close, have one holiday abroad every year. TM30, if needed, is a breeze on-line, no need to mention it.

Hi guys. I read this topic carefully, but it still unclear. What is the visa code in passport? Exactly "DTV", or "NON-DTV", or something else? Thanks in advance.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:31 PM, LivinLOS said:

Unsure if this is the first confirmed one or not ?? 

DTV issued from the London embassy already.. No contract of employment, just uploaded a letter explaining I own a company and my last years tax return for evidence.

Do I seriously have to carry a piece of paper around for the next 5 years ?? To go with my TM30 and 90 days pieces of paper ?? Is that really the system. 

On my return I intend to go visit the labour office, the DTV is marked as most are 'employment prohibited' and my local labour office had told me when I quizzed them that the LTR visa (which the BOI also claims you can work on for non Thai companies) had no exemption in law and they considered working on it for an overseas company illegal.. I am curious what they say this time, as the royal gazette announcement for the DTV specifically says ""work remotely in a special case as relating to this announcement" so who is right here ??

We now have the DTV they encourage work on, the LTR the BOI says you can work on but when challenged after the above info was obtianed call it 'an understanding with the tax office', etc etc. 

Thank you for sharing your experience!  Just wondering if 500K Baht needs to be wired to a Thai bank account before applying?  

Edited by jack343

On 7/18/2024 at 6:48 AM, LivinLOS said:

Theres downsides, especially if you dont travel.. The 2x 180 aspect.. 

For me its the working online legality aspect, I know this was unenforced but I want to be 100% compliant, I dont want to ever be in a position where someone can report me for some dissagreement, or answer why I have a full well equipped home office with files etc. 

I still think I will move to the LTR for the 0% tax aspect, I just needed a visa to come back with and thought I would give it a go. 

Agree with LTR but with Thailand.. we never know if they cut sooner or later this 0% tax benefit..

On 7/18/2024 at 1:09 AM, shdmn said:

It's 180 days with one 180 extension allowed, and says it prominently in the official documentation.

So the visa allows one to stay for 180 days, extend that for another 180 days, and then one has to leave the country and then come back (with no need for a re-entry permit) and start the whole process over - with another 180 days, extendable by another 180 days - and all of that for a total of five years? Is that interpretation correct? If so, then what's the catch?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

So the visa allows one to stay for 180 days, extend that for another 180 days, and then one has to leave the country and then come back (with no need for a re-entry permit) and start the whole process over - with another 180 days, extendable by another 180 days - and all of that for a total of five years? Is that interpretation correct? If so, then what's the catch?

Nobody has to worry about it for at least another 360 days so not important right now.  Worst case is you have to buy a cheap plane ticket every 180 days instead of every 360 days which is not a big deal.

Edited by shdmn

On 7/17/2024 at 6:31 PM, LivinLOS said:

Unsure if this is the first confirmed one or not ?? ...

You are the first I have seen posting about getting the DTV. Congratulations.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2024 at 11:55 AM, LivinLOS said:

Flat out incorrect, according to many many statements by the labour office, immigration, court cases (deported people doing exactly this), the BOI, the Elite people, the 'my mate nate' youtuber saga, may respectecd legal companies, etc. 

It is poorly enforced but if you are an agent and dealing with advising clients and claiming it is actually legal, everything you say is now suspect. 

Why do you think the royal decree on this states "work remotely in a special case as relating to this announcement" ??

There's no history of deportations of online workers here, immigration have admitted in the past that they have no interest in pursuing this. The exceptions that hit the news were people working out of organised call centres. 

Elite were actually pitching their product to digital nomads and remote workers last summer (including not needing to pay taxes), but this all fell flat when the new tax laws were announced in the Autumn. The DTV looks like it's been set up to capitalise on this same loophole. 

"My mate nate" was not a remote worker, he's always targeted Thais locally. He was in the news after he upset people with some ill-judged pranks and there was some kerfuffle regarding his work permit which he wound up sorting out. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

There's no history of deportations of online workers here, immigration have admitted in the past that they have no interest in pursuing this. The exceptions that hit the news were people working out of organised call centres. 

Elite were actually pitching their product to digital nomads and remote workers last summer (including not needing to pay taxes), but this all fell flat when the new tax laws were announced in the Autumn. The DTV looks like it's been set up to capitalise on this same loophole. 

"My mate nate" was not a remote worker, he's always targeted Thais locally. He was in the news after he upset people with some ill-judged pranks and there was some kerfuffle regarding his work permit which he wound up sorting out. 

Well said.

Outside of a handful of fringe cases, there's zero enforcement, desire for enforcement, or any consequences,  for anyone remote working in Thailand, on any visa type.

There are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people working remotely in Thailand, every day, and have been for many years, on all types of visas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought it requires 500K deposit as well? And assuming to want this visa, one stays over 180 days a year as well? That would effectively mean taxes for the visa money alone would cost around 27,500 baht?

Still better than with the 800K for retirees, that is around 75,000 baht in taxes....

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BakedPanda said:

I thought it requires 500K deposit as well? And assuming to want this visa, one stays over 180 days a year as well? That would effectively mean taxes for the visa money alone would cost around 27,500 baht?

500k (equivalent) can be outside Thailand.

• Agree 1

"DTV issued from the London embassy already.. No contract of employment, just uploaded a letter explaining I own a company and my last years tax return for evidence."

So a paper company is Good To Go? Does the 500,000 Baht have to be maintained for the entire 5 years?  Can one keep the money in a foreign bank account?  Does the money have to be "seasoned"?  When a DTV holder re-enters the country does he or she have to prove the money is still in the account?  

Oh TIT and the answers do not matter.  

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

500k (equivalent) can be outside Thailand.

Wow ok then this is very interesting to try and get before they stop it again.

Strange move too then, its harder for me to even obtain a non-o on child nowadays with money proof at embassies. 

Edited by BakedPanda