CNN’s John King Says Democrats Fear Trump On Track For Blowout 330 Electoral Vote Win

27 minutes ago, theblether said:

Anything of note happen in the last year of his Presidency? 

Hmm,  let me think. 

Reminds me of the old saying - there's three types of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics. 

By your logic, COVID only weakened the dollar and not other currencies? Why is that?

You are a low information voter. Trump has said many times he prefers a weak dollar. He even put a lot of pressure on the Federal Reserve to lower rates while he was in the Whitehouse. You cannot be helped and will remain a low information voter. 

Edited by NJHOUSE
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

By your logic, COVID only weakened the dollar and not other currencies? Why is that?

You are a low information voter. Trump has said many times he prefers a weak dollar. He even put a lot of pressure on the Federal Reserve to lower rates while he was in the Whitehouse. You cannot be helped and will remain a low information voter. 

🤪🤪🤪

I've never read so much drivel on this forum since JT's last post. You are hilarious. 

So,sterling didn't drop to a street rate of 36 baht, the euro didn't crash, AUD didn't collapse? 

Dear me, and you have the cheek to suggest I'm low information. 😄

3 minutes ago, theblether said:

🤪🤪🤪

I've never read so much drivel on this forum since JT's last post. You are hilarious. 

So,sterling didn't drop to a street rate of 36 baht, the euro didn't crash, AUD didn't collapse? 

Trump was frustrated back then, with the Fed, and wanted a much weaker dollar using lower rates but the Fed resisted. He gets in again and the dollar will certainly weaken significantly. It is his stated playbook. Google "Trump weak dollar" and you can educate yourself. Google "Trump strong dollar" and you can't find anything resembling reality. You are clueless.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 8:11 AM, jas007 said:

There will be an open convention and he will not endorse Kamala.

I dearly hope that your prognostication about the Salad Woman is correct.

19 minutes ago, theblether said:

🤪🤪🤪

And go ahead and check the US Dollar Index from Nov 2016 to Jan 2021 and you will see that the greenback dropped considerably against a basket of major currencies. 

Edited by NJHOUSE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

And go ahead and check the US Dollar Index from Nov 2016 to Jan 2021 and you will see that the greenback dropped considerably against a basket of major currencies. 

Any particular reason why the world's reserve currency retraced during the worst economic contraction outside of war? 

You see, I'm always interested in the knowledge of members of this forum. We used to have genuine experts on many subjects who could provide a daily education. 

These days we get "MAGA Fascists" and "low information" accusations from people who can't explain their positions. 

So go ahead and explain why the dollar retraced. 

20 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

Trump was frustrated back then, with the Fed, and wanted a much weaker dollar using lower rates but the Fed resisted. He gets in again and the dollar will certainly weaken significantly. It is his stated playbook. Google "Trump weak dollar" and you can educate yourself. Google "Trump strong dollar" and you can't find anything resembling reality. You are clueless.

Far from clueless. I suggest you research the Mexican economy for a clue as to what's happening with the dollar. 

Only an economic nincompoop desires a strong/overvalued dollar. It has zero benefit to the USA, but I suppose American sex tourists in Thailand would be happy about it. 

So I'll take it you're happy? 

23 minutes ago, theblether said:

Far from clueless. I suggest you research the Mexican economy for a clue as to what's happening with the dollar. 

Only an economic nincompoop desires a strong/overvalued dollar. It has zero benefit to the USA, but I suppose American sex tourists in Thailand would be happy about it. 

So now you come out as a proponent of a weak dollar, just like Trump. So your argument is now completely nonsensical. You basically flip flopped. As for wanting a strong dollar, it's kind of an expat thing. Labeling Americans with pensions or social security benefits as sex tourists? There you have it folks... if you want a strong dollar, well then, you are a sex tourist! I'm done with you.

Edited by NJHOUSE
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, theblether said:

A strong dollar benefits the average person.   A weak dollar equals inflation, which has been devastating over Joe Bidne's term.  

13 minutes ago, TedG said:

A strong dollar benefits the average person.   A weak dollar equals inflation, which has been devastating over Joe Bidne's term.  

An artificially strong dollar can crater exports and crush the balance of payments. There's a sweet spot and there's no doubt that Biden missed it by a mile due to stupidity. 

1 minute ago, theblether said:

An artificially strong dollar can crater exports and crush the balance of payments. There's a sweet spot and there's no doubt that Biden missed it by a mile due to stupidity. 

The current US Congress will never work towards a strong dollar.   They have zero budget discipline.   

Just now, TedG said:

The current US Congress will never work towards a strong dollar.   They have zero budget discipline.   

I agree with that. They have set sail for an economic black hole and no one knows what's on the other side. 

Liz Truss and Trump agreed that the only way out of the overwhelming national debts in the UK and USA was to grow the economies, Truss was kneecapped by the financial markets, Trump was kneecapped by covid. 

• Agree 1

Strong dollar?  The problem is, these things do not exist in a vacuum.  The value is a function of a number of variables, and those variables also matter. So a weak dollar might seem like a benefit, but remember how that happened.  Interest rates were lowered. And that, in turn, allowed the government to run up a larger and larger deficit.  Not necessarily a good thing, right? Inflation.  

Trump thinks he can run a country like a business.  Borrow all the money you can and don’t worry about the consequences.  Lower taxes, etc.  It’s all great until it isn’t.

12 hours ago, theblether said:

I look at it and don't see strong or weak dollar.  I see high mortgage rates killing the housing markets and crushing the American dream, high cost auto loans killing new car sales and the high cost of commercial loans killing off startups and expansion, along with those jobs.

Edit: I've never sat around the kitchen table and discussed the strength of the dollar.

Edited by impulse