60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

1 hour ago, Stekmer said:

Given it only started 3 days ago, I wonder if the practice varies from the official announcments.

I received an update from the Austrlian Govt SmartTraveller service today that states that the 60 days visa exemption for Australian passport holders (plus 92 other countries) started on 15/7/24 and that it applies for 2 entries only in a calendar year.

The same (60 days exemption - max 2 per calendar year) is also stated on the Royal Thai Embassy website.

Time will tell I gess.

Thai Embassy in Canberra has for a long time stated that visa exempts can only be used twice a year, so this is just a carry over of that same statement. Obviously incorrect as visa exempt by air has always been unlimited.

As always, Thai Consulate in Sydney has no such limitation mentioned.

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/content/summary-of-countries-visa-exemption-2024

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

A few years ago they wanted to stop people making repeated trips on tourist or transit visas, whom they claimed were probably working illegally.  Now they can't get enough of them and will even let them work without WP.  

Maybe they want to make it easy to go over 180 days and they have figured out how to implement the tax on income from outside the country..... unlikely but it's a possibility

1 hour ago, george said:

Sorry to state, it wouldn't be the first time an entry clearance officer at a land border got his facts wrong.

Unless the Government repeals the current Ministerial regulation only permitting two land borders entries per calendar year, then I wouldn't count on this information as gospel.

Meanwhile, the left hand isn't communicating with the right hand again.
Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme

UK ordinary passport holders can travel to Thailand without visa for no longer than 60 days (maximum 2 times/year).

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/exemp-visa

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Still cheaper on a non imm O retirement 1900 baht

yea, if u leave 800,000 in the bank, but not if u use an agent

BUT as everything, i bet they dont allow UNLIMITED 3 month stays in Thailand

still its great for expats in Cambodia and Laos wanting to cross monthly for shoping

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cowellandrew said:

Does anyone know if the Thai Burmese crossing at Kanchanaburi been reopened for foreigners?

NO:
ONLY by boat to Kwathoung 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

excellent news.

always good to have an option to fall back on in case for whatever reason you don't quite meet the requirements for your usual visa.

open them floodgates baby, let's have some fun!

bob.

I thought you were looking for a freighter to take yourself back to Blighty? Turned out to expensive I guess?

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS: (I edited this to better show the entry / stay (overstay) history 😛 )

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you a breaking News bulletin..

The new 60 day entry stamp program that started 3 days ago is not limited to two entries by land in a calendar year, it is unlimited entry by land.

Just had somebody that did two free stamp land entries this year bounce out and back and get a new 60-day entry with no questions at al.   The officer said unlimited.

Here are the  two 30 day land entry stamps and the new 60 day stamp they just got this morning.. as you can see they even had a 3-day overstay this morning when they left.

Remember you heard it first from Tod Daniels.

EDIT:

Okay here's the stamp "trail" and it's a screwy one with an overstay at every step of the process 😮
The person entered their FIRST ENTRY BY LAND on March 16th was stamped in 30 days until April 14th.
They went to the immigration office on the 17th of April paid a 3 day overstay (no stamp image) and got a 30 day extension good until 14 of May
They went to the border on May 17th paid a 3 day overstay (no stamp image) and got a 30 day stamp until Jun 15th (note the stamp has 2/67 meaning second land entry this year)
They went to the immigration office on the 18th of June paid a 3 day overstay AND got a 30 day extension good until 15th of July
They went to the border July 18 paid a 3 day overstay AND got a NEW THIRD LAND ENTRY STAMP for 60 days

1st entry -overstay- extension.jpg

2nd entry -overstay- extension.jpg

3 entry by land w overstay.jpg

Which border?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hilarious I finally got my cash moved into the bank and a real marriage visa.

That said I'm not going to be one of those bitter farang mad that others have easy access to staying here. I'm happy that people can stay without dumping huge money into agents pockets or "elite visas". I hope this is the status quo for a long time grats to those that this helps making their lifes easier to live.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

it was like that for a longggggggg time.

I remember when I first arrived you had guys that had been living here for 20/30 years on T visa exemptions and border bounces. It was only in the mid 2010's that they started tightening the screws with this whole good guys in, bad guys out nonsense.

long may the free-for-all continue imo.

bob.

My first year in 2001 I did 11x 30-day border runs back-to-back. I wouldn't have the energy... or the confidence to put my life in the hands of those crazy van drivers now! LOL 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Yes exactly I just got an email off the agency saying I can renew the retirement visa two months in advance and price drop of 5000 baht, no thanks I won’t be renewing it.

if you like the hassle of losing a day to get these, sure.  But worth my savings of time to not have to do that.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, khunpin said:

Too bad! 

Keep the people from England, the u.s., India and China away from Thailand! 

And what land of 😇's do you come from........?   🤔

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sabai-dee-man said:

My first year in 2001 I did 11x 30-day border runs back-to-back. I wouldn't have the energy... or the confidence to put my life in the hands of those crazy van drivers now! LOL 

....I think i'd drive myself mate, if I ever had to do another one.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am supposed to do my 12-month marriage extension in August.

I don't feel like it.

After being so long on a "marriage" visa, can I really just hop to Laos and return back and then get a 60 day tourist visa which I can then extend to another 60 days as being married to Thai?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sharp said:

This will end in tears wait until the unsavory start setting up here on temporary visas

800 thousand in the bank and you are savoury?

Not a very sharp comment 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1