Just Stop Oil Protesters Jailed for M25 Blockade Plot, 5 & 4 year sentences Handed Down

Social Media

While I'm pleased that they are going to prison, I question the wisdom of taking up bedspace for 4-5 years when there are so many truly violent criminals that are probably given lighter sentences (or even being released early) for lack of prison resources.  Not to mention the cost, at what?  Maybe 50,000 GBP per annum for each?

I think a year or so would be plenty of time-out for them to think about the consequences of their actions.

(Out of curiosity, do British inmates work on the inside or otherwise pay to defray the cost of housing them?  Curious because I don't know the UK system)

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

British prisons are as good as full at the moment (https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crg5vp0296eo).  Even though I'm happy for these morons to go to jail, I don't think this is the best sentence when I'd rather see violent, or potentially violent, people sent down.  Maybe a community sentence, e.g. cleaning litter off of the motorways or anything else that keeps the British road network running more smoothly.

Or maybe a one-way ticket to Rwanda?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Only 6 protesters charged !! ... what about the other 200 or so ?  .. you know . the ones who sat their watching the Police chat among themselves ... 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Only 6 protesters charged !! ... what about the other 200 or so ?  .. you know . the ones who sat their watching the Police chat among themselves ... 

But, a message has been sent, those who wish to carry on with their <deleted>, will know full well the possible consequences......🤔

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Cressida is going to be shocked when there is no tofu or avocado on the menu.

hopefully in a cold dark place..   with only a China made solar panel or a wind turbine for that 1 watt LED bulb in their cell 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

UK prisons are full to the brim and they plan to release hardened criminals. Locking up climate protesters is idiocy. So what if people on the M25 got delayed. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

An utterly inexcusable sentence designed to send a political message from an utter disgrace of a judge. 

Having previously let a policeman convicted of rapes go free, and having given  a pedophile who drugged and abused children a suspended sentence, Christopher Hehir shows how unfit he is to be a member of the judiciary when he sentences 4 people to 21 years for non violent crimes. 

The punishment does not fit the crime;the judge and the law are not for for purpose. 

A hard sentence yes, but for blocking the M25, and deliberately setting out to cause gridlock.

There is a major regional hospital adjacent to that bit of the M25. Such gridlock would have caused many missed appointments, trapped ambulances in gridlocked traffic and potentially led to deaths of their (the ambulances) occupants.

They can have been no "not realising" the potential results of what they did, it was deliberate and premeditated.

Fair sentence, not a political message. They were the ones who planned and acted to cause chaos, entirely headless of the possible results, to send their political message.

The court is sending a message that society does not tolerate that behaviour.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

UK prisons are full to the brim and they plan to release hardened criminals. Locking up climate protesters is idiocy. So what if people on the M25 got delayed. 

i also support just stop oil and the death of most of the human race.

lets goooooooooooooooooooooo. 

• Confused 1