DTV requirement “Professional portfolio showcasing… freelancer status”

Hello,

I’d like to apply for the DTV. One possible requirement is to submit a “Professional portfolio showcasing… freelancer status.”

I’m a freelance writer. I often write about Thai travel and culture. I post these stories on Medium. Would a list of stories written by me about Thailand posted on Medium count as “a professional portfolio showcasing… freelancer status.” (Note: I earn zero money from this; it’s just for fun) Here’s a link to that list:

https://medium.com/@jourdanarenson/list/predefined:ab061874f532:READING_LIST

Another possible requirement is to submit a “Letter of acceptance from institute organising activities” I also take Thai language courses when in Thailand. Would it be a safer option for me to submit a letter from the Thai language school?  Would it make sense to submit both?

I appreciate any help.

Seems like it is early days and nobody knows wtf is going on. The website itself functions which is quite a surprise but despite that it's amazing how much of the details are not clear at all.

The website has no real details on what specific documents are needed. I begun an application purely to see what documents it requested and it is no clearer than before.

I'm not sure even visa agents know wtf is going on. None of the websites I went to had any updates on the DTV. The Thaigers own page on it somehow manages to construct a full page story repeating the same paragraph about 10 times with no real specific information other than the basics of what has been known for weeks now.

Someone wrote in these forums a couple of days ago that it is only extendable once? I assumed it would be as many 180 day entries as you like within the 5 year period?

There is already a pinned thread on this but I really hope that someone can put a more specific guide together somewhere on the internet without all the noise, chatter and speculation.

I was actually thinking to post a similar thread to the op as I have a developer portfolio but have no idea if it is a pass or not.

10,000 baht is quite a fee to gamble just to find out.

The website seems to indicate showing a portfolio of some kind is enough but then elsewhere it says a "verifiable contract of employment" is required.

"Dcoument indicating current location" - What is it. What is accepted. Who knows?

If you do the Muay Thai or cooking route what is needed? A document saying you have paid for 6 months of classes or a few weeks? What document?

I guess it will all come out in time.

This is the last page of the application process for the digital nomad/ freelancer category.

image.thumb.png.25054a968732bbb638e98ddfc6ff470e.png

22 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Dcoument indicating current location" - What is it. What is accepted. Who knows?

This one we know for sure because it has been required for other evisas for a long time.

They want something showing your current address.  Some examples would be a drivers licence, bank statement, utility bill, rental contract, cell phone bill,  etc.....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

This one we know for sure because it has been required for other evisas for a long time.

They want something showing your current address.  Some examples would be a drivers licence, bank statement, utility bill, rental contract, cell phone bill,  etc.....

Thanks. Yeh I just saw this on the canberra embassy. So I suppose applying for it from Laos with no Laos documents would be problematic.

image.png.a4520691ea620c3f9ac4263111913fed.png

3 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Thanks. Yeh I just saw this on the canberra embassy. So I suppose applying for it from Laos with no Laos documents would be problematic.

image.png.a4520691ea620c3f9ac4263111913fed.png

That's for e-visa, while Laos doesn't do e-visa so don't ask for proof of residence. Here's what's required in Laos

https://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/page/destination-thailand-visa-dtv?menu=6694973d6c6e326e3201e553

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sikishrory said:

10,000 baht is quite a fee to gamble just to find out

Yes, I agree it is a gamble. I know from experience if they deny the visa for any reason (or no reason) at all, the fee is gone. You have to apply again and pay the fee again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JourdanA said:

Yes, I agree it is a gamble. I know from experience if they deny the visa for any reason (or no reason) at all, the fee is gone. You have to apply again and pay the fee again. 

If you find out the answer of the freelancer docs required let me know. I'm wondering the same.

Also looking at your Medium you might want to reconsider the description "Jourdan is a washed-up tech writer and failed freelancer writer who sometimes writes essays for no money." If this is the basis you are providing to immigration to live in the kingdom for 5 years haha

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, sikishrory said:

If this is the basis you are providing to immigration to live in the kingdom for 5 years haha

I'm glad you found it funny. It is supposed to be a joke. I was doing the opposite of writers who have bios listing a bunch of prizes, awards and publications. But you are correct. A Thai immigration official will not get the joke. Thanks for point that out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Seems like it is early days and nobody knows wtf is going on. The website itself functions which is quite a surprise but despite that it's amazing how much of the details are not clear at all.

The website has no real details on what specific documents are needed. I begun an application purely to see what documents it requested and it is no clearer than before.

I'm not sure even visa agents know wtf is going on. None of the websites I went to had any updates on the DTV. The Thaigers own page on it somehow manages to construct a full page story repeating the same paragraph about 10 times with no real specific information other than the basics of what has been known for weeks now.

Someone wrote in these forums a couple of days ago that it is only extendable once? I assumed it would be as many 180 day entries as you like within the 5 year period?

There is already a pinned thread on this but I really hope that someone can put a more specific guide together somewhere on the internet without all the noise, chatter and speculation.

I was actually thinking to post a similar thread to the op as I have a developer portfolio but have no idea if it is a pass or not.

10,000 baht is quite a fee to gamble just to find out.

The website seems to indicate showing a portfolio of some kind is enough but then elsewhere it says a "verifiable contract of employment" is required.

"Dcoument indicating current location" - What is it. What is accepted. Who knows?

If you do the Muay Thai or cooking route what is needed? A document saying you have paid for 6 months of classes or a few weeks? What document?

I guess it will all come out in time.

This is the last page of the application process for the digital nomad/ freelancer category.

image.thumb.png.25054a968732bbb638e98ddfc6ff470e.png

The website functions because the DTV application is just reusing the tourist visa application.  I think the only thing they added was the employment contract section.

Edited by shdmn

A close friend of mine here in the UK has just obtained a DTV. He has been an infrequent visitor to Thailand but plans to undertake a long trip in October.  He is early retired and his hobby is vlogging - doing 'walking tours' of towns, markets, scenic areas etc. mainly in the UK and France, and unpaid. He has a very professional looking website with his bio and a long list of links to his various videos and articles going back about 4-5 years. On his application he provided a link to his website as evidence of his 'freelance' status. He used a recent electricity bill as evidence of location and a Building Society statement showing savings over £11k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

A close friend of mine here in the UK has just obtained a DTV. He has been an infrequent visitor to Thailand but plans to undertake a long trip in October.  He is early retired and his hobby is vlogging - doing 'walking tours' of towns, markets, scenic areas etc. mainly in the UK and France, and unpaid. He has a very professional looking website with his bio and a long list of links to his various videos and articles going back about 4-5 years. On his application he provided a link to his website as evidence of his 'freelance' status. He used a recent electricity bill as evidence of location and a Building Society statement showing savings over £11k.

So, they didn't care his vlogging is a hobby, not making money?

Then it's really a METV for 5 years,  not bad.

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

I wouldn't be so sure about it, considering that probably not every traveller from the UK who qualifies for the METV is a vlogger.

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

No. He did not submit any financial information other than a Building Society statement. It seems his 'portfolio' was sufficient. He submitted the application last Friday and received the visa on Sunday!  So evidently they are processing over the weekend. I suspect vetting must be minimal, and in any case would the eVisa staff have the knowledge and expertise to vet employment contracts, portfolios and accounts? I would imagine they only have a couple of minutes to spend on each application.  Seems like a bit of a free for all to me...

I also have a question about multiple entries within one year?

• Say I arrive in Thailand in November.
  • I get 180 days from the DTV
  • But I go to  Malaysia in January
  • What happens when I come back to Thailand?
  • Does my 180 day visa get canceled? 

In other words how many entries/exits can I make from Thailand within those 180 days?

17 minutes ago, JourdanA said:

In other words how many entries/exits can I make from Thailand within those 180 days?

Information on the London embassy website indicates 180 days per entry.  i.e. the clock is reset each time you enter Thailand.

22 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I was also thinking of providing a link but the application form on the eVisa site requires an attachment.  I was thinking of doing a screenshot of my webpage and attaching that.

Edited by shdmn

22 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Just wondering, as Vlogger sites don't normally include their real name can we just link to your friends site and say it's us 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

I was also thinking of providing a link but the application form on the eVisa site requires an attachment.  I was thinking of doing a screenshot of my webpage and attaching that.

He uploaded a very simple cover letter stating he was a vlogger, and a link.

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Just wondering, as Vlogger sites don't normally include their real name can we just link to your friends site and say it's us 😉

His main page has his name, a biography and his photo....and then a series of links to his videos, podcasts, various articles he's written etc. He's quite prolific actually and it does look impressive.

I checked a couple of non-English consulates and embassies, in various countries,  what requirements they have for DTV.

All want proof of residence. 

For the soft power visa, all of them copy the text from the Royal Gazette, that's it. Seems like they don't know what to make of this smart idea: a 5 year visa for visiting one concert or for having one appointment with a doctor (that you can cancel anyway)???

For the dignom/freelance/remote worker, requirements vary quite a bit. 

London seems to take it very easy,  others mostly want a bit more formal documentation,  letterheads, stamps, official confirmations blabla.

Only one consulate put up requirements that are almost impossible to fulfill (I had expected that they all would do that)

Edited by Lorry

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

His main page has his name, a biography and his photo....and then a series of links to his videos, podcasts, various articles he's written etc. He's quite prolific actually and it does look impressive.

That is exactly what they asked for so not surprised that worked.  My website is more like your typical "hey sign up for my awesome reseller service, select option 1, 2, or 3, and give me your money" type thing.  It's not what you would describe as a portfolio or anything that could be call freelance contracts.

Edited by shdmn

8 minutes ago, shdmn said:

That is exactly what they asked for so not surprised that worked. 

Yes. The point I was originally trying to make is that he does this purely as a hobby for his own gratification. He has no contract, no employer, doesn't generate any income or have any accounts. He's actually an early-retired UK DWP fraud investigator!

35 minutes ago, Lorry said:

For the dignom/freelance/remote worker, requirements vary quite a bit. 

London seems to take it very easy,  others mostly want a bit more formal documentation,  letterheads, stamps, official confirmations blabla.

Only one consulate put up requirements that are almost impossible to fulfill (I had expected that they all would do that)

What consulate is putting up almost impossible requirements?  They should be almost the same.  Most just cut/paste the official requirements.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JourdanA said:

From the royal gazette DTV 

ข้อ ๓ คนต่างด้าวซึ่งมีประสงค์จะขออนุญาตเข้ามาอยู่ในราชอาณาจักร เป็นกรณีพิเศษตามประกาศนี้ ให้ยื่นคำขอตรวจลงตราประเภทนักท่องเที่ยว ประเภทพิเศษ (Destination Thailand Visa : DTV) โดยสามารถยื่นขอรับการตรวจลงตราได้จากสถานเอกอัครราชทูตหรือสถานกงสุลใหญ่ของไทยในต่างประเทศ สำหรับปีนี้ใช้ได้จำกัดจำนวนครั้ง ภายในอายุการใช้ตามการตรวจลงตรานี้

Article 3:
Foreigners who wish to apply for permission to stay in the Kingdom as a special case according to this announcement must apply for a special tourist visa (Destination Thailand Visa: DTV). The application for the visa can be made at Thai embassies or consulates abroad. The visa can be used for an unlimited number of times within the validity period of the visa.

13 hours ago, Lorry said:

Curious which consulate and what documents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Curious which consulate and what documents. 

It was one of the German ones. They want proof you are a registered worker in Germany - which is pretty much the opposite of a digital nomad. 

The "portfolio" is not mentioned on their website, probably because they don't know what that means.

BTW India seems easy

Edited by Lorry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, farang51 said:

@LivinLOS and others that got the DTV: How long before your stated travelling date did you apply?

I am going to Thailand October 2nd and I do not want to apply too early.

about 4 weeks ? 19 aug