Mood in Washington: Fear, Sadness, and Uncertainty Amid Biden Reelection Campaign Turmoil

Social Media

image.png.0a673de5627422c5a45d7bcb06122e35.png

Federal employees in Washington are gripped by fear and sadness as President Joe Biden's reelection campaign faces unprecedented pressure for him to step aside. Group texts buzz with the latest developments, and staff members are dusting off resumes, desperately trying to complete top initiatives before it’s too late. Interviews with dozens of federal employees reveal a grim mood within the sprawling apparatus of the U.S. government, including the White House. The potential end of Biden’s presidency has left many feeling overwhelmed and dejected, worried about the lack of clarity over the future leadership of the federal government.

One White House official described a pervasive sadness over the uncertainty surrounding Biden’s candidacy. "We have to make some tough choices. ... We’re in battle,” the official said. “We need someone who can represent us. I am incredibly loyal to our president, but it’s hard when you’re putting your life on the line like many of us working every night, every day, when you don’t know who is going to be on the top of the ticket.”

The night of Biden's disastrous debate saw alarmed group texts among USDA staff light up, with administration officials sharing their panic about the president and the administration's future. Some USDA staff are openly discussing plans to leave their posts early. "One set of folks that seem to be the most concerned and bewildered would be the civil servants within USDA, who have endured so much and that really went out of their way to carry out the Biden rural agenda,” said one USDA official. "Those are the folks that really seem to be like, do they stay or do they go? Because they just cannot endure another phase of uncertainty."

Several USDA branches, including the team overseeing the country’s largest anti-hunger program, have already seen significant turnover of senior career staff this year and are currently operating with many vacancies. Much of the anxiety among federal employees, however, is not centered on Biden, but rather on his rival — and what a second Trump administration would entail. When former President Donald Trump first took office, his "drain the swamp" mentality left many federal workers feeling despondent and paranoid about their standing, fostering a widespread sense of dread throughout his administration.

Trump slashed department and agency budgets, paralyzing research and productivity, and his officials buried work that contradicted the administration’s priorities. In some cases, Trump appointed officials who were seen as hostile to the missions of the departments they oversaw, such as former Education Secretary Betsy Devos, who wanted to limit the federal government’s role in education.

"The first rendition of the Trump administration was really, really difficult, and we saw a mass exodus of employees retiring,” said a U.S. Park Service employee. “If we do have an administration shift, other employees will also reconsider their positions and move to the private sector. I don’t know what I’ll end up doing.”

When a new administration takes over, the president hand-picks a team of officials to lead departments, known as “politicals.” However, many rank-and-file staff, known as career employees, have been employed by the federal government for decades, transcending multiple administrations from both parties. The demographics of federal employees reflect the demographics of the country at large, according to data from the Office of Personnel Management.

A current Health and Human Services employee noted that there isn't a consensus among peers about whether Biden should stay or step aside, but many fear Democrats losing the White House in November. Concerns that major health policies could be gutted in a future Trump administration have overshadowed discussions about Biden's candidacy, especially as officials rush to complete their priorities before the end of the year. A former Biden administration official who recently left a financial regulator reported receiving a flood of text messages from former colleagues still in government, worried about the possibility of unemployment if Trump wins and asking for help. 

“The temperature has gotten a lot hotter over the last few weeks,” said the official. “It feels a lot more likely now than it did prior to the debate that they’re going to be out of work.”

Credit: Politico 2024-07-22

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Stop the press, Biden has dropped out and endorsed Harris. Obama and Pelosi have not endorsed her. She needs to be confirmed at the convention.

The circus begins anew. Stock up on the popcorn and drinks, and get ready for a hell of a ride.

For those that excused Biden to the bitter end ( it was just a cold, he was tired after a long trip, he's fine- it's just a bad day, nothing to see here move along folks etc. You know who you are ) :giggle:

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What a relief for all the gaslighters.   You can drop the act now. He wasn't 'sharp as a tack'.

Next mission - pretend Harris is competent. 1,2,3 Go!!!

That's a tough sell ... even to the most ignorant :coffee1:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What a relief for all the gaslighters.

You can drop the act now. He wasn't 'sharp as a tack'.

Just as well they want the horrible Harris and not some likeable and competent politician, or I might have to support them, and I don't like the Democrat party.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

That's a tough sell ... even to the most ignorant :coffee1:

We have been told many many times that American voters are "ignorant" though that was usually pointed at Trump supporters. IMO it goes both ways if at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We have been told many many times that American voters are "ignorant" though that was usually pointed at Trump supporters. IMO it goes both ways if at all.

In the timing of this decision, the Biden administration and its Democratic allies have successfully invalidated their party’s primary system. Voters across the country will now no longer have the chance to elect a Democratic nominee for president through primary elections; rather, an open convention will grant a few thousand party elites the opportunity to decide on behalf of the many. This is not an electoral process fit for the democratic republic our founding fathers established.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The circus begins anew. Stock up on the popcorn and drinks, and get ready for a hell of a ride.

And I'd suggest plywood if you have a small shop somewhere.  You'll need it to cover the windows during the mostly peaceful demonstrations if Harris isn't the candidate.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, G_Money said:

DOJ, DOD, FBI, CIA, DHS, SS just to name a few know big changes coming when Trump moves back into that big house on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Time for many to update their resumes.

You forgot to mention Women’s rights, minority rights, workers rights, the separation of powers, Democracy and the rule of law.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You forgot to mention Women’s rights, minority rights, workers rights, the separation of powers, Democracy and the rule of law.

They will all be gone. Just memories.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Well ok passed the bar exam check became a tough on crime DA check became the AG for the state of California check elected our senator check became vice president check.President Biden brought this nation back from the brink of another Great Depression president Biden rebuilt our alliances and renewed nato + added 2 top tier members president Biden has an incredible record of meaning full legalization for my country president Biden is stepping aside because he recognizes the perception of his age is improving the chance for us to be saddled with another trump disaster that’s why he’s stepping aside as I suspect you know

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Since you mention gaslighting.

Trump’s whole ‘dementia’ attacks on Biden kicked off and continued in the aftermath of Trump being rushed in the middle of the night to the Walter Reid Memorial Hospital to be administered the Montreal Cognitive Assessment Test.

Biden withdrawing has now removed the possibility of Trump hiding his own clearly collapsing brain by pointing at his opponent.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

I just hope Harris picks senator mark Kelley for the VP slot that would be a very strong ticket 

It's going to be hard for Harris to find a running mate who won't make her look as dumb as she is. Is there anyone who's stupid enough to want to be her VP this late in the electoral process? Knowing they've lost before they even get started? 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

It's going to be hard for Harris to find a running mate who won't make her look as dumb as she is. Is there anyone who's stupid enough to want to be her VP this late in the electoral process? Knowing they've lost before they even get started? 

Just keep telling yourself that. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Just keep telling yourself that. 

I think your the one who need to keep telling yourself that BS. The idea that somehow Harris has a real chance against Trump is laughable to say the least. The Dems really got themselves in a pickle choosing Biden and Harris as President and VP. Now the chickens have come home to roost. LOL.

Even those that might stand a chance against Trump won't enter the race. At this stage of the game. Because they know it won't do them any good.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

In the timing of this decision, the Biden administration and its Democratic allies have successfully invalidated their party’s primary system. Voters across the country will now no longer have the chance to elect a Democratic nominee for president through primary elections; rather, an open convention will grant a few thousand party elites the opportunity to decide on behalf of the many. This is not an electoral process fit for the democratic republic our founding fathers established.

So, you're claiming that Biden doesn't have the right to retire from the race?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I think your the one who need to keep telling yourself that BS. The idea that somehow Harris has a real chance against Trump is laughable to say the least. The Dems really got themselves in a pickle choosing Biden and Harris as President and VP. Now the chickens have come home to roost. LOL.

Even those that might stand a chance against Trump won't enter the race. At this stage of the game. Because they know it won't do them any good.  

Oh I don’t know about that lol you do realize how unpopular trump is don’t you perhaps not to his base sure if you are in that bubble sure.hes a convicted felon a civilly convicted sexual assaulter the judge says a rapist,he’s disenfranchised 50% of our population run up our debt 23% in 4 years for nothing that’s just for starters.those of us outside the bubble are aware of this.I hope Kamala picks a good strong VP my favorite is Mark Kelley he would go far in quieting the fears of many who are frightened of having a woman at the top

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tug said:

Oh I don’t know about that lol you do realize how unpopular trump is don’t you perhaps not to his base sure if you are in that bubble sure.hes a convicted felon a civilly convicted sexual assaulter the judge says a rapist,he’s disenfranchised 50% of our population run up our debt 23% in 4 years for nothing that’s just for starters.those of us outside the bubble are aware of this.I hope Kamala picks a good strong VP my favorite is Mark Kelley he would go far in quieting the fears of many who are frightened of having a woman at the top

More rubbish. The same could be said about Biden's government. With dept increasing more than a trillion dollars every quarter, That interest payments on that dept will soon be the biggest expenditure. He has aslo disenfranchised 50% of the population.

As for these trumped up charges against trump, overseen by loony left Democratic stooges. Funny how they all seem to be collapsing now. I'm sure the Supreme court will vacate these convictions also. 

A sexual assault victim who's on record as saying Rape can be exciting! As for a judge saying he's a rapist, Trump was not convicted of rape. I look forward to Trump taking these people to court to claw back the costs he has incurred, on spurious charges.    

Edited by CharlieKo

3 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

More rubbish. The same could be said about Biden's government. With dept increasing more than a trillion dollars every quarter, That interest payments on that dept will soon be the biggest expenditure. He has aslo disenfranchised 50% of the population.

As for these trumped up charges against trump, overseen by loony left Democratic stooges. Funny how they all seem to be collapsing now. I'm sure the Supreme court will vacate these convictions also. 

A sexual assault victim who's on record as saying Rape can be exciting! As for a judge saying he's a rapist, Trump was not convicted of rape. I look forward to Trump taking these people to court to claw back the costs he has incurred, on spurious charges.    

Not trumped up and not collapsing. Delayed.

54 minutes ago, candide said:

Not trumped up and not collapsing. Delayed.

You think? They will collapse. There is no incentive in pursuing Trump anymore. The dems will make themselves  look even more stupid than they already are. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

You think? They will collapse. There is no incentive in pursuing Trump anymore. The dems will make themselves  look even more stupid than they already are. 

The only way some of them (the Federal ones) may vanish is if Trump gets elected.