The Dark Side of Mindfulness: Understanding the Potential Harm of Meditation

Social Media

image.png.bd05990a1ac211ceddfa35e988ad6797.png

Mindfulness is often heralded as a perfect solution for stress and mental health issues. This Buddhist-based meditation practice, which emphasizes awareness of the present moment's thoughts, feelings, and sensations, is frequently portrayed as a free and accessible remedy for various psychological challenges. However, while it can indeed benefit some, the reality is that mindfulness can also be harmful, exacerbating existing mental health problems or even triggering new ones.

The roots of mindfulness trace back over 1,500 years to India, where early Buddhist texts such as the Dharmatrāta Meditation Scripture documented not only the practices themselves but also the potential adverse effects. These ancient writings described symptoms of depression and anxiety following meditation, along with cognitive anomalies linked to episodes of psychosis, dissociation, and depersonalization—a condition where individuals feel the world around them is "unreal."

Recent scientific research has started to shed light on these adverse effects, which are not as rare as previously thought. A 2022 study involving 953 regular meditators in the United States found that over 10% experienced significant negative impacts from meditation that lasted for at least a month. A comprehensive review of over 40 years of research, published in 2020, identified anxiety and depression as the most common adverse effects, followed by psychotic or delusional symptoms, dissociation or depersonalization, and intense fear or terror.

Importantly, these negative outcomes can occur in individuals without prior mental health issues and with only moderate exposure to meditation. The long-lasting nature of these symptoms underscores the need for caution and greater awareness of the potential risks associated with mindfulness.

The western world has long been aware of these dangers. In 1976, Arnold Lazarus, a prominent figure in cognitive-behavioral science, warned that indiscriminate use of meditation could lead to "serious psychiatric problems such as depression, agitation, and even schizophrenic decompensation." Despite this, the rapid commercialization and widespread promotion of mindfulness have largely ignored these warnings.

Mindfulness has undeniably found its place in the wellness industry, becoming a significant economic force. In the United States alone, the meditation market is valued at $2.2 billion. Despite this, mindfulness coaches, videos, apps, and books rarely caution users about the potential adverse effects. Ronald Purser, a professor of management and ordained Buddhist teacher, criticizes this trend in his 2023 book "McMindfulness," describing it as a form of "capitalist spirituality."

Even leading figures in the mindfulness movement acknowledge the shortcomings in the research supporting its benefits. Jon Kabat-Zinn, a key advocate, admitted in a 2017 interview with The Guardian that "90% of the research [into the positive impacts] is subpar." Yet, in his foreword to the 2015 UK Mindfulness All-Party Parliamentary Report, he suggested that mindfulness could transform individuals, communities, societies, nations, and even the human species—a sentiment that borders on religious zeal.

This fervor for mindfulness extends beyond its practitioners. Many atheists and agnostics who practice mindfulness believe it has the power to foster global peace and compassion. However, media coverage of mindfulness has been largely positive, with little attention given to its potential downsides. For instance, in 2015, my book "The Buddha Pill," co-authored with clinical psychologist Catherine Wikholm, included a chapter on the adverse effects of meditation. This work was widely disseminated, including through a New Scientist article and a BBC Radio 4 documentary.

In contrast, the most expensive study in the history of meditation science, funded by the Wellcome Trust with over $8 million, received scant media attention in 2022. This study, conducted from 2016 to 2018, involved more than 8,000 children aged 11-14 across 84 UK schools. The results showed that mindfulness did not improve the mental wellbeing of children compared to a control group and may have even harmed those at risk of mental health problems.

The ethical implications of promoting mindfulness without adequate warnings are profound. Given the varied and common nature of adverse effects, it is questionable to market mindfulness apps, teach meditation classes, or use mindfulness in clinical practice without informing participants of these risks. Unfortunately, many mindfulness instructors are either unaware of these potential harms or dismiss them. Those who experience adverse effects are often told to continue meditating, with the assurance that the issues will eventually resolve.

Research on how to practice meditation safely is still in its infancy, and there is no clear advice for those who wish to meditate. The challenge is compounded by a lack of psychological theories to understand the unusual states of consciousness that meditation can induce. Nonetheless, resources are available for those seeking information about adverse effects, including websites by meditators who have experienced serious issues and academic handbooks dedicated to this topic. In the US, a clinical service led by a mindfulness researcher offers support to individuals with acute and long-term problems resulting from meditation.

As mindfulness continues to be used as a wellbeing or therapeutic tool, it is crucial that the public is informed about its potential for harm. Without this awareness, the practice that promises peace and mental clarity could, for some, become a source of distress and psychological turmoil.

Credit: The Conversation 2024-07-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

You would think that by now people are smart enough to understand what works for one person does not mean it works for another. Common sense apparently isn’t so common anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

So for stressed individuals one should better seek solutions in alcohol and illegal drugs which have been shown to be harmless by comparison

My personal observation, Mindfulness as a concept already attracts people who struggle with mental health issues, and are easy victims for the dirty business behind many mindfulness centers. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

My personal observation, Mindfulness as a concept already attracts people who struggle with mental health issues, and are easy victims for the dirty business behind many mindfulness centers. 

I don't go to any organizations but have done meditation on and off for 30 years, it is extremely good for decreasing stress, now in retirement I have no stress but continue meditating because I find it enjoyable, yes certainly mind altering but in a positive way. My cousin who is a functioning bi-polar does mindfulness training and he says it has helped him tremendously partly because he now goes deeper on his own looking within for what is it that is depressed, alone the search hauls him out of his black days.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't go to any organizations but have done meditation on and off for 30 years, it is extremely good for decreasing stress, now in retirement I have no stress but continue meditating because I find it enjoyable, yes certainly mind altering but in a positive way. My cousin who is a functioning bi-polar does mindfulness training and he says it has helped him tremendously partly because he now goes deeper on his own looking within for what is it that is depressed, alone the search hauls him out of his black days.

No doubt it helps people, but as everthing else, there is limits, and some bad retreats as well guides. 

Some people are vulnerable for toxic environment and often drawn to the negative aspects of it.

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No doubt it helps people, but as everthing else, there is limits, and some bad retreats as well guides. 

Some people are vulnerable for toxic environment and often drawn to the negative aspects of it.

I can see no harm in simple mindfulness but perhaps when one goes deeper into Buddhist teachings...'there is no self' or 'the world is empty' without proper tuition as to what is meant it could cause confusion. The real practitioners into emptiness really is something that a novice should stay away from but a novice would never get that far, most meditaters never achieve more than 20 minutes, I can do 15 minutes, sometimes 20, that is harmless. One should never meditate as a 'duty' (although that is often recommended), it should be joyful, peaceful.

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I can see no harm in simple mindfulness but perhaps when one goes deeper into Buddhist teachings...'there is no self' or 'the world is empty' without proper tuition as to what is meant it could cause confusion. The real practitioners into emptiness really is something that a novice should stay away from but a novice would never get that far, most meditaters never achieve more than 20 minutes, I can do 15 minutes, sometimes 20, that is harmless. One should never meditate as a 'duty' (although that is often recommended), it should be joyful, peaceful.

No doubt been done under right circumstances and for the right purpose, it is both joyful, peaceful and also combined with breathing elevating

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No doubt been done under right circumstances and for the right purpose, it is both joyful, peaceful and also combined with breathing elevating

Breathing exercises are a trick to stop the mind wandering, I can do without them now, in fact my breathing can be so shallow if I am doing a long deep meditation that I become giddy and have to stop, or rather I am pulled out of it, the body doesn't want to die.

Some years ago I read an article on the subject of people taking part in silent retreats at a monastery on one of the Irish islands.

The article included discussion on the matter of mental illness and the requirement the monastery had for would be lay participants to undergo a psychiatric assessment before being invited to join the retreat.

As the monk explained, total silence and the sole company of one’s own thoughts can overwhelm people who might be predisposed to or already suffering health issues.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

While I think that is a couple of over simplified generalizations, I have no doubt there is a substantial grain of truth in it.

At the very least people who take up meditation are self selecting, caution needs to be taken drawing conclusions on the outcome of them taking up meditation without knowing the context of the individual starting points.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Breathing exercises are a trick to stop the mind wandering, I can do without them now, in fact my breathing can be so shallow if I am doing a long deep meditation that I become giddy and have to stop, or rather I am pulled out of it, the body doesn't want to die.

I feel breathing opens up more for a inner journey, refreshing and stimulating

I forgot the article. 

https://www.sciencealert.com/meditation-and-mindfulness-have-a-dark-side-that-we-dont-talk-about

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Some years ago I read an article on the subject of people taking part in silent retreats at a monastery on one of the Irish islands.

Quite common for retreats to offer the silent week or longer as the start for a longer retreat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The article included discussion on the matter of mental illness and the requirement the monastery had for would be lay participants to undergo a psychiatric assessment before being invited to join the retreat.

As the monk explained, total silence and the sole company of one’s own thoughts can overwhelm people who might be predisposed to or already suffering health issues.

While I think that is a couple of over simplified generalizations, I have no doubt there is a substantial grain of truth in it.

At the very least people who take up meditation are self selecting, caution needs to be taken drawing conclusions on the outcome of them taking up meditation without knowing the context of the individual starting points.

Many are searching for something, and in many cases do not know themselves they are struggling mentally, and for some a retreat gives them a way back, while others continue they search finding excuses for their situation digging deeper. Still simplified, but a reality for many I have met on my way around the world 

We are all searching when we struggling, some realize what they struggle with, some others not, and some just solves their struggling, be it time, experience and healthy changes to their lifestyle. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Agree 1

There is no natural state of mindfulness or meditation. It takes time and through that time one confronts things, and when one does confront something that is disturbing it is something extreme compared to the smalker, less significant confrontations in one’s mind.

At this point, it would seem very logical and common sense that one would continue to confront that problem until they saw it as it really is and the significance of it goes away and therefore meditation or mindfulness as it’s more popularly called within the last few years should be continued until a good point is reached and they are winning.

But I would think also that it is more likely an excuse or justification, that the individuals who apparently go psychotic or get deranged is as an excuse for their behavior in transgressing in one way or another that is not acceptable to the social norm. Or they are just giving up on meditation and mindfulness and that is their excuse.

Edited by Brn2Trvl