No house insurance in Thailand - how normal?

I was wondering how many people review their home insurance every year.My home insurance (AIG Elite Home) has shown the same amounts insured for about 10 years.I have lazily never bothered to seek an uplift or indeed seriously review the amounts insured.Of the total sum insured 20% is fixture and fittings and the remaining 80% Building (excluding foundations.) Would one expect the actual insured amounts to increase over a 10 year period?

On 7/24/2024 at 3:07 AM, JeffersLos said:

Because they're not panicky indoctrinated Americans that get heart palpitations if they don't have insurance for tying their shoe laces. 

My place in US just burnt to the ground because of a grass fire. So, insurance will help out. 

On 7/24/2024 at 10:03 AM, DaLa said:

If you read the t's and c's of property insurance in Thailand then it's no wonder anyone insures.  I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the UK and a 'comprehensive' policy was more than favourable to the insured. Here not so much. Then consider that the bulk of properties here have concrete walls and a steel clad roof, makes fire insurance not a priority.

What about furnitures electrical stuff you'll end up with concrete walls and a steel clad roof - meaning you have to build a new house or move to a rental.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:40 AM, renaissanc said:

We haven't insured our house. Maybe we will one day. I don't know. I've never had a problem in any of the 3 houses we've owned and lived in over the years. For me, the problem isn't the insurance fee, it's the insurance companies. I don't trust them. If a fire occurred the insurance company would probably do all it could to avoid paying anything, and even then I might have to wait a year or two or more to get paid. I've read stories about what happens.

I see similar stories on the health insurance industry - seems to me that too many insurance companies are controlled by rich people and have an aversion to paying out for that which people are buying that insurance for.  I would think that the citizens would start pressuring their elected officials to fix these problems.  Only in paradise I guess.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

My place in US just burnt to the ground because of a grass fire. So, insurance will help out. 

Sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't lose anything too personal.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:40 AM, renaissanc said:

I don't trust them. If a fire occurred the insurance company would probably do all it could to avoid paying anything, and even then I might have to wait a year or two or more to get paid. I've read stories about what happens.

On 8/5/2024 at 8:46 AM, renaissanc said:

This is why I haven't insured my house. The insurance company will do all it can to avoid paying anything.

Well you obviously didn't read my "story". I was paid out for accidental damage to a full height corner piece glass window probably caused by my lawn mower throwing a small stone at it and cracking it. 

No issue paying once I sent them the repair quote........

On 7/24/2024 at 9:13 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it does.

You are very Wrong, Not it the true sense, like in the UK. Property, fire and Theft.

Australia where third party does not include damage to property. Third party Por Ror Bor here is just to pay injury, or death. Good luck if you rear end a luxury car, you will have to pay for that a bumper/fender could cost I Million, or hit anything else that is not a human. your living in a fools dream.

I pay about 6k a year private car insurance and it means I can drive with piece of mind, dash cam fitted an essential in Thailand.

On 8/5/2024 at 10:28 AM, Ralf001 said:

ctpi is required to registered my vehicles..... what should I be purchasing if por ror bor aint it ?

A private insurance is about 6k for a car from 'THE VIRYAH INSURANCE' company, one of the most popular in Thailand, I always re-new mine at the testing station, when I get my yearly tax sticker. This is for my wife's car (in my name though) I hope it will cover everything 🙏🏻

IMG_20240827_113616-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.35b96f89393431f781e1951a0748237d.jpg

41 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

A private insurance is about 6k for a car from 'THE VIRYAH INSURANCE' company, one of the most popular in Thailand, I always re-new mine at the testing station, when I get my yearly tax sticker. This is for my wife's car (in my name though) I hope it will cover everything 🙏🏻

Yeah I have voluntary insurance.

My question was about compulsory insurance as the post I qouted claims por ror bor is not insurance.