Post new visa rules: Risk of getting denied at borders?

I have read somewhere that you can do "unlimited" visa exemption entries now after the new rules started. Have there been any reports of people getting denied at the airports in Bangkok (or land borders) with an extensive visa history after the new rules started?

What are the recommendations for people with many old tourist visas and visa exemptions?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be surprised if anything had changed at the airports. What will happen at the land borders remains to be seen.

You could use a border run service to make sure you'll get back in if you're worried about your history.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I'd be surprised if anything had changed at the airports. What will happen at the land borders remains to be seen.

You could use a border run service to make sure you'll get back in if you're worried about your history.

Can the visa border run services "guarantee" that there won't be any problem due to many stamps in the past? Also, just to make sure - you get 60 days at the land borders now, right?

• Haha 1

You see this is the double edged sword part of this new unlimited 60 day entry by land stamp.

In theory it is unlimited entry on visa exempt stamps by air as wel,l but we know how that works out when people with extensive entry/stay histories show up at the airport trying to milk another free entry stamp to further their stay in Thailand.

It remains to be seen whether the land borders will jump on the bandwagon of looking at entry/stay history with a critical eye like they do at the airport or whether they turn a blind eye to the entry/stay history and just let people in.

Using a service where you pay them up front and pay nothing at the border, known as an all-in service, almost guarantees 100% that you get out and back in without issue. As a rule those services will not even let you on the minivan if you can't get out and back at the border. They will just turn you away.

Now there are border bounce companies up north that act more as taxis, meaning all they do is lug you to the border and cut you loose leaving you to make your way across and back on your own. They do not facilitate you getting out and back in, they have not pre-negotiated the price of the visa for you to get into and out of the other country and they are nothing but glorified taxis.

That is not the case with any of the border bounce companies going from Bangkok or Pattaya and as far as I know the border bounce companies in the South that bounce with Malaysia are also all in type of services, when you pay them they take you to the border get you out get you back in and bring you back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 12:14 AM, bigt3116 said:

The new rules are far too new to know what will happen further down the line. No one could have abused them already.

Precisely and exactly the comment I've made elsewhere. Will only come to light after any attempted 3rd entry under the new 60 day visa exempt entry in the same calender year

Ground handling at check in airports are going to be all over this as an immigration denial fine has now increased to a maximum $10,000

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:41 PM, lisaflisa said:

I have read somewhere that you can do "unlimited" visa exemption entries now after the new rules started. Have there been any reports of people getting denied at the airports in Bangkok (or land borders) with an extensive visa history after the new rules started?

We should know by this time next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

...Ground handling at check in airports are going to be all over this as an immigration denial fine has now increased to a maximum $10,000

I missed this. Where was it published? How much was the fine previously?

• Agree 2

On 7/26/2024 at 11:56 AM, Chivas said:

Ground handling at check in airports are going to be all over this as an immigration denial fine has now increased to a maximum $10,000

On 7/26/2024 at 7:00 PM, Maestro said:

I have always been under the impression that the maximum financial liability facing airlines in the event of one of their passengers being denied entry into Thailand took the form of the cost of a one-way ticket for a flight back to the airport of origin.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Thailand took the form of the cost of a one-way ticket for a flight back to the airport of origin.

Correct returned to airport of origin and often passenger ends up paying for the flight.

Airline can also be fined. 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I have always been under the impression that the maximum financial liability facing airlines in the event of one of their passengers being denied entry into Thailand took the form of the cost of a one-way ticket for a flight back to the airport of origin.

The issue is addressed in each airlines Conditions of Carriage, something everyone agrees to when purchasing a ticket.

This is from Thai Airways.

13.3 REFUSAL OF ENTRY

If you are denied entry into any country, you will be responsible to pay any fine or charge assessed against us by the Government concerned and for the cost of transporting you from that country. The fare collected for carriage to the point of refusal or denied entry will not be refunded by us.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_condition/contract_of_carriage.page?

On 7/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, Maestro said:

Previously was maximum of $2000

Fairly recently (nothing to do with Thailand I might add) it was increased to maximum $10,000 for a denial and of course airline responsible for immediately returning you to port of origin (that again was always the case)

Seems it was around in 2020 it changed

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/157007/how-much-would-an-airline-be-fined-if-the-immigration-officers-of-the-destinatio

Edited in.....this was why I was very close to being offloaded at Gatwick in 2007 on Emirates when on the return portion of a Bkk-GTW-Bkk ticket (so now one way) with no tourist visa

Took me to asking to see head of station for Emirates at Gatwick who agreed I could sign an indemnity instead should I be declined

Its nothing remotely recent

Edited by Chivas

On 7/25/2024 at 2:02 AM, lisaflisa said:

Can the visa border run services "guarantee" that there won't be any problem due to many stamps in the past? Also, just to make sure - you get 60 days at the land borders now, right?

That's their job. I've been in Thailand 4 years non-stop as a tourist, still do border runs, no problems.

• Thanks 1