DTV in Kuala Lumpur

Just to share here for those interested in getting DTV in KL (like me): Thai embassy there recently published the requirements for DTV, unfortunately it needs "An employment contract or certificate *in Malaysia*...", unlike the embassies in Phnom Penh and in Vientiane which needs "An employment contract or certificate *in their country*.

https://kualalumpur.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/destination-thailand-visa-dtv

It's unclear if another option, "Portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status" needs to have a connection with Malaysia or not, I guess we'll have to wait out and see the reports.

As a business owner, I'm interested in 'Workcation' option for DTV (not in 'Thai soft power' one... not yet).

If KL fails, then I guess we'll still have Phnom Penh and Vientiane.

P.S. This post is for those of us interested in getting DTV "sticker" visa in neighboring countries. Not for those applying for DTV e-visa in their own countries, which is an easy option too.

I own a company in Hong Kong, and as a non-resident, I was always applying Thai visas in Kuala Lumpur, it's easy, flights are cheap, and interesting city... Loks like now it will come to an end, and more so since they just announced that from October they will switch to new e-visa system, like many others.

I'll wait and see if Thai Consulate in Hong Kong will accept non-resident DTV e-visa application (they didn't for TR e-visas before), if not then I'll apply DTV in Phnom Penh or Vientiane (and hoping for Saigon to join, nice city).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for sharing this @sallecc, I was interested in applying from KL as well but looks like that option is out.

Until a few days ago, the only consulate in Malaysia that had published application details on the DTV was Kota Bahru, so this is interesting to see. One thing that caught my eye here is that the KL requires showing proof of prolonged residence in Thailand (so someone needs to have a rental in place prior to applying? reminds me of the hoohah during the STV days), which I haven't seen anyone being asked of elsewhere at this stage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

Thanks for sharing this @sallecc, I was interested in applying from KL as well but looks like that option is out.

Until a few days ago, the only consulate in Malaysia that had published application details on the DTV was Kota Bahru, so this is interesting to see. One thing that caught my eye here is that the KL requires showing proof of prolonged residence in Thailand (so someone needs to have a rental in place prior to applying? reminds me of the hoohah during the STV days), which I haven't seen anyone being asked of elsewhere at this stage.

Hi @5ilver good catch, I didn't check Kota Bahru, it's interesting that they doesn't require employer contract/certififate "in Malaysia" (unlike KL), but I'm not very interested going there eh... I only checked KL and Penang (which didn't publish their own requirements yet).

Yeah KL also needs long-term rental/booking contract as well, which is OK for me as I rent a condo in Phuket, but that catch "employment contract/certificate *in Malaysia*" puts me of... let's see, maybe some positive reports will come in, who knows.

If not, then we can do it in other places... But I will not wait long while it lasts, you never know with these guys (remember STV ;-).

• Like 1