apartments with an oven ?

khlongtoey

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Seriously?

(This I cannot say for sure.  However, when I purchased the Electrolux 56 Liter oven, two girls that I know did not have a clue what it was used for.  They were afraid to turn the heat up to 250 degrees C, with nothing in it, and feared the oven might get too hot.  So, yes, it might be true that most people here do not have experience with electric ovens, other than microwave ovens.  But, they do know how to cook chicken on the grill, by the side of the road....And in this they are EXPERTS.!!!)

Most Thai food you dont need an oven, we have one and my wife uses it a lot, actually we are on our second one, she bakes most of our bread and anything else I would like

55 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Most Thai food you dont need an oven, we have one and my wife uses it a lot, actually we are on our second one, she bakes most of our bread and anything else I would like

Sounds like you have a .... Good Wife, or a Very Good Wife....

image.png.a4afe2ded6079fca3f8448d4da0dfea9.png

Maybe you should remember, even more often, to bring her flowers, each day, when you return to your castle.

• Agree 1

On 7/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, NowNow said:

Why do you post so much nonsense? 😊 Veering wildly from stating that you might buy a smaller 12 litre oven to now stating that you will buy a 70 litre oven. What is the purpose of all of your gibberish? There's definitely a load of Garbage Out...

I wish to thank you for goading me into purchasing an oven today.

You will recall that I had thought of buying the Nesco, at about BT3660.

This, I read, was some sort of deep discount, but I wonder.

Seems to me that this is the usual/regular price.

I decided not to buy it because this is available ONLY online, from shops such as PB, and other similar stores.

Therefore, I had no option but to go to a shop, so that I could examine the "workmanship" before I committed to buy.

So, this afternoon, I did visit a shop.

And, I did buy a 70-liter oven, and Electrolux.

It looks like this:

image.png.00a7f50ed0ed1bbc86b52bbc3efc5cdc.png

Again, this is said to be some sort of SALE price, but I wonder.

I think this is just he regular price...however....

Over 3 years ago, I bought the Electrolux 56-liter oven.

And, I paid about Bt.7500.00.....

So, I would say that the 70-Liter oven, the one being offered at this time, seems a bit better than what I bought last time, and it is larger, as well.

And, the 56-Liter oven did not seem to have enough wattage.

The oven would only reach about 230-degrees C, and not the 250 that the dial promised.

image.png.001bde90608f95cd0bb5f9eaa1ea699a.png

As I mentioned elsewhere, I had problems with this oven, in addition to the temperature problem.  After 2 weeks, the heating filaments stopped working, and the oven required a return to the local service company for repair.

Then, because I was too stupid to take measures in order to avoid spattering during high-heat roasting, the entire oven became covered in grease (inside), and then the grease took on that rancid smell...and so I never seemed to be IN THE MOOD for roasting, after that.

Also, I know that  some here will say that I, the poster of this comment, am just engaging in BSing, and that I have not REALLY purchased this machine.

So, maybe I will attach images of the machine and the shipping carton, just to put any of these rumors to rest...before they get started.

Also, I will tell you, I found some Babe on YT, I will call her the Chicken Lady, who has produced 2 nice videos about roasting chicken and how to keep the roasting chicken and resultant grease from spattering all around the inside of the oven...and making it stink for about EVER....with no way to properly clean it and use it again.  In fact, I would say that this can cause the oven to smell as if it were a Toxic Waste Dump of rancid chicken.  I don't even like to go in my kitchen during the Hot Season, for just his reason.

I need to get the 56-liter machine cleaned...

And then I need to follow the Chicken Lady's advice.

And then I can have a TOTAL of 126 Liters of Baking/Roasting Room in my kitchen.

I will really enjoy that, because having an oven makes one's life worth living.

So then, please let me post the Chicken Lady's YT secrets first.

And then I will try to upload the images that I promised Y'all...

image.png.c96ccf31c5047b8080d4608a2df08c26.png

This babe is from BOSTON, but I cannot place her accent.

All I know is that the way she talks, I mean her pronunciation, is very soothing.

I just subscribed to her channel, because I hope that 

She can give me some pointers...

On how to properly cook chicken in my ovens...plural.

She seems REALLY INTO chicken, by the way...A
And, so am I...

BIG TIME.

Here is an image of the oven sitting in my kitchen...

Also, please do not try to see if I am naked in my kitchen, because I am not.

I mean I might be naked at the time I captured this image, but I already checked...

And I think that you cannot see anything....

So, don't try to use any special software to enhance the image, for example...

image.thumb.jpeg.9ecbcf7b130740f10fe980d3c9379cb5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fba4df5cf44c1787dcfe10ad77a8b97f.jpeg

I will try to post a review of this oven, after I finish roasting .....

Maybe later.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Our last two Condo's had built in Ovens...  (they were 2 and 3 bedroom larger units - more suited to a family).

Before that, we used what Gamma has described (and show) which do the job equally well. 

Although a built in oven is cosmetically much better and doesn't get in the way of surfaces - on which we then fill with a load of other stuff (microwaves, air-fryer etc !!)... 

Our current oven and hob is 'touch sensitive' (i.e. non-tactile buttons, but just place your button on a the power, and heat + or heat - areas / spots)...   recently this was an issue because the maid turned on the oven while cleaning, we we were overseas and she had no idea how to turn it off...  Fortunately, I'd had a 'master switch' similar to that which are required in the UK (I'd brought it in from the UK) - it has a large red switch and red light to indicate when on or not - this was a simple enough instruction to give her (the maid) to turn off the oven...

... These modern touch sensitive jobby's are lethal - thus, when / if choosing definitely go for something with a tactile off / master switch if possible. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 12:22 PM, JimTripper said:

I have one. It's called a microwave.

I'm  glad you mentioned that Jim, I have been getting the impression that once people have moved on to an airfryer or whatever they never think of moving back.

I have been living out of a suitcase for far too long and I miss being able to knock out a pan of scouse or vegetable soup a few times a week. But what to get is a puzzle. I've got a married mate whose wife does amazing things with an airfryer and a single mate who would be lost without his halogen oven, but I will probably just go for a micro. Decisions, decisions.

None of these things cost too much so getting two of them wouldn't hurt. And of course I need a suitable gaff to house them, plus me, plus it's looking like the other half.

Anyway

1 hour ago, saintdomingo said:

I'm  glad you mentioned that Jim, I have been getting the impression that once people have moved on to an airfryer or whatever they never think of moving back.

I have been living out of a suitcase for far too long and I miss being able to knock out a pan of scouse or vegetable soup a few times a week. But what to get is a puzzle. I've got a married mate whose wife does amazing things with an airfryer and a single mate who would be lost without his halogen oven, but I will probably just go for a micro. Decisions, decisions.

None of these things cost too much so getting two of them wouldn't hurt. And of course I need a suitable gaff to house them, plus me, plus it's looking like the other half.

Anyway

If you can't afford one just ask the 7-11 to heat your meals. They have a microwave there. It's free.

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

If you can't afford one just ask the 7-11 to heat your meals. They have a microwave there. It's free.

Cheap enough I bought one from Lazada the other week 1700 baht

30 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Nah, I only cook on full size gas ranges. Have fun playing with your "convection oven".

60l is about as big as they go, 2kbht on Lazada.

I've always used gas hob and electric oven.

IMG_20240804_094056.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/29/2024 at 1:00 AM, khlongtoey said:

ya makes sense, however I would like a stove with a hood and a full sized fridge and counter top space, and maybe a garbage disposal and proper sink also

Are you even in TH.   So you want something with a full western kitchen.

What is your budget ?

On 7/30/2024 at 10:48 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Seriously?

(This I cannot say for sure.  However, when I purchased the Electrolux 56 Liter oven, two girls that I know did not have a clue what it was used for.  They were afraid to turn the heat up to 250 degrees C, with nothing in it, and feared the oven might get too hot.  So, yes, it might be true that most people here do not have experience with electric ovens, other than microwave ovens.  But, they do know how to cook chicken on the grill, by the side of the road....And in this they are EXPERTS.!!!)

I think your Electrolux 56L oven may be a knock off.   As that is the one I have, and really like it.  If the same model.  Notice that ours is discontinued, and a newer, small, more toaster over model is available.  Might be the one you had/have.

Suggest it might be a knock off, as we got ours from Electrolux distributor, and max temp is only 230°C.  With 3 heating elements both top & bottom.  Powerful fans also.

image.png.96bfc7cd60dbf0fe5ddc0cf865834b53.png

Edited by KhunLA

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think your Electrolux 56L oven may be a knock off.   As that is the one I have, and really like it.  If the same model.  Notice that ours is discontinued, and a newer, small, more toaster over model is available.  Might be the one you had/have.

Suggest it might be a knock off, as we got ours from Electrolux distributor, and max temp is only 230°C.  With 3 heating elements both top & bottom.  Powerful fans also.

image.png.96bfc7cd60dbf0fe5ddc0cf865834b53.png

Let me clarify, and then....what do you think?

a.  I now have 2 ovens. Both are Electrolux.

b. I purchased the 56 liter oven about 3 years ago, from PB.

c. I purchased the 70 liter oven less than a week ago, from PB.

d. Here is a photo oimage.thumb.jpeg.6bbf172d7e282e5ce3bb024f3ebfe37a.jpegf the front panel knobs and markings on the 56 liter oven....

e. I previously uploaded a photo of the Electrolux 70 liter oven.

f. Here are two images, one each of the Electrolux 70-liter and 56-liter oven.  I am quite sure that these were both supplied by the Electrolux distribution channel...BUT...if you think otherwise, then be sure to let me know by updating a reply here....

As I said, the 56-Liter oven does NOT maintain a temperature anywhere near 250 degrees C.  And, I have read similar complaints from others who have purchased the 56-Liter oven.

image.png.48148859a35a43cae15797f94b7e6a98.png

image.png.e08adf61763867433a9b2b5bc020fdb1.png

NOTE:  Are you SURE that you do not have this oven, and not the 56-Liter oven, as do I? (Remember, I have BOTH the older 56-liter oven AND the newer 70-Liter oven....

image.png.015ccd0b3eae564faa2e23656f8147a7.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

As if I am going to come on here and say I can't afford a micro or whatever. Get hold of yourself Jim😀.

I've been leading a nomadic lifestyle for too long, eating out in Pattaya was cheap but not so much in bkk. But health problems have kicked in complicating things. Enough of that. Thanks for your helpful posts.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Hey, Man...

I think you need to correct your links here, or the description of the links.

You have stated that this link, the 56L oven you link, is the NEWER one.

This is actually false.  This link shows the 56L OLDER model oven. And, yes, this is the one that I have in my kitchen.  And, you can see that I just captured and posted an image in my above comment.

It seems to me that the oven that you imaged is actually the NEWER oven. And, this oven is STILL on sale at PB.

I could be mistaken.

But, it's really super-hard to see how that might even be possible...

In this case.

NOTE:  In order to avoid any future confusion concerning the image of the 56L oven which I captured in my kitchen, then you can easily refer to the ELECTROLUX  MODEL NUMBER, which is also visible in the image.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, saintdomingo said:

As if I am going to come on here and say I can't afford a micro or whatever. Get hold of yourself Jim😀.

I've been leading a nomadic lifestyle for too long, eating out in Pattaya was cheap but not so much in bkk. But health problems have kicked in complicating things. Enough of that. Thanks for your helpful posts.

If you have a nomadic lifestyle you may not want to buy appliances constantly. So my 7-11 comment was relevant. A lot of places don't have the appliances I need especially airbb's. I can't take them with me when I move and I don't like furnishing other people's rentals.

Edited by JimTripper

41 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hey, Man...

I think you need to correct your links here, or the description of the links.

You have stated that this link, the 56L oven you link, is the NEWER one.

This is actually false.  This link shows the 56L OLDER model oven. And, yes, this is the one that I have in my kitchen.  And, you can see that I just captured and posted an image in my above comment.

It seems to me that the oven that you imaged is actually the NEWER oven. And, this oven is STILL on sale at PB.

I could be mistaken.

But, it's really super-hard to see how that might even be possible...

In this case.

NOTE:  In order to avoid any future confusion concerning the image of the 56L oven which I captured in my kitchen, then you can easily refer to the ELECTROLUX  MODEL NUMBER, which is also visible in the image.

Anyone selling the labeled (black) 56L linked, the one we own, is selling old stock, according to Electrolux.  

OP not interested in countertop units anyway.   I like them, since no bending over involved, though does eat up some counter space, along with all the other crap / appliances.  Never enough counter surface area, and we have a lot 🙄 

Taken up by; water kettle, grinder, coffee machine, toaster, induction 'hob', oven, microwave, slow cooker, air fryer.   Along with built in gas hobs & sink/drying area :cheesy:

The stand mixer & food processor are on the 'island' counter area.  They take up 1/3 of that.   I can relate to the OP wanting a full western kitchen.

Thinking now, also a cabinet full other appliances; another air fryer, toaster over, waffle (w/interchangeable grill plates) maker, toastie maker, hand mixer, blender, ice cream maker ... WTF

I need to buy a converted van and live out of a backpack.  Park at the beach & smoke doobies all day :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA

37 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If you have a nomadic lifestyle you may not want to buy appliances constantly. So my 7-11 comment was relevant. A lot of places don't have the appliances I need especially airbb's. I can't take them with me when I move and I don't like furnishing other people's rentals.

There is thrift and there is plain cheapskate. 

A fan oven can cost as little as 600 baht. That is 50 baht per month over a one year contract. 1.6 baht per day. Greatly expanding your meal options. Some people are so cheap that they hurt themselves...

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone selling the labeled (black) 56L linked, the one we own, is selling old stock, according to Electrolux.  

OP not interested in countertop units anyway.   I like them, since no bending over involved, though does eat up some counter space, along with all the other crap / appliances.  Never enough counter surface area, and we have a lot 🙄 

Taken up by; water kettle, grinder, coffee machine, toaster, induction 'hob', oven, microwave, slow cooker, air fryer.   Along with built in gas hobs & sink/drying area :cheesy:

The stand mixer & food processor are on the 'island' counter area.  They take up 1/3 of that.   I can relate to the OP wanting a full western kitchen.

Thinking now, also a cabinet full other appliances; another air fryer, toaster over, waffle (w/interchangeable grill plates) maker, toastie maker, hand mixer, blender, ice cream maker ... WTF

I need to buy a converted van and live out of a backpack.  Park at the beach & smoke doobies all day :cheesy:

Old Stock is better than NO STOCK, in some cases.

Both of my ovens, no matter my purchase date. are old stock.

But then, what else did you expect?

This is Thailand, Sir!

Does the Electrolux Company site show anything newer than the 70-Liter oven which I purchased 2 weeks ago?

Maybe, but then, they must be hiding it until all this OLD STOCK has been cleared from their inventory.

And, no matter whether old stock or new stock, I now consider these products to be disposable items.

Just chuck it in the trash heap, and do NOT try to service this garbage, when it goes On the Fritz!

If I were to purchase a stand-alone floor oven, then I would not buy in Thailand.

I would have it shipped over from Japan, I think...

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Old Stock is better than NO STOCK, in some cases.

Both of my ovens, no matter my purchase date. are old stock.

But then, what else did you expect?

This is Thailand, Sir!

Does the Electrolux Company site show anything newer than the 70-Liter oven which I purchased 2 weeks ago?

Maybe, but then, they must be hiding it until all this OLD STOCK has been cleared from their inventory.

And, no matter whether old stock or new stock, I now consider these products to be disposable items.

Just chuck it in the trash heap, and do NOT try to service this garbage, when it goes On the Fritz!

If I were to purchase a stand-alone floor oven, then I would not buy in Thailand.

I would have it shipped over from Japan, I think...

Thursday was four days ago.... 

5 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Thursday was four days ago.... 

Thanks; I needed that.

Also, my question was rhetorical. The Electrolux site shows only the ovens that I have already mentioned.  There are no "newer" ovens on the site. So, the 70L oven, etc., is NOT old stock, just as I stated.

Thank you for reminding me that it has only been four long days since I purchased the 70L oven.

Sure seems longer...

Seems like about a year has gone by since I bought the oven at PB.

Please also recall that there has been quite a bit of advice to the OP stating that the OP should, at least, consider going with a counter-top oven, instead of forging on to find a kitchen with an oven exactly as he would wish or dream about.

If you find a kitchen with a built-in oven, then how would you even know if it works well before signing the rental contract? You might NOT.

Also, do you really want to use such an oven, which might be dirty or even hazardous, not knowing who might have used it before you moved in?

For example:  I recall while living elsewhere, I would dry my old tennis shoes and jogging shoes, jock-straps, and sweaty underwear in the oven at the place I was renting.

And, I really doubt that the landlord had the oven fumigated after I moved out.

Therefore, I think that the counter-top oven is a reasonable solution.  Note that Electrolux terms these ovens....STAND-ALONE ovens, to differentiate them from BUILT-IN ovens.

Suggestion:  If you DO find a rental with a built-in oven that you like, then please do clean the oven thoroughly before cooking your meals with it.

47 minutes ago, NowNow said:

There is thrift and there is plain cheapskate. 

A fan oven can cost as little as 600 baht. That is 50 baht per month over a one year contract. 1.6 baht per day. Greatly expanding your meal options. Some people are so cheap that they hurt themselves...

When I say nomadic I mean one month stays, not years. I typically won't buy appliances in one month stays unless it's essential (like a floor fan or a hot water kettle). I do have a nice french press that I carry with me.

It get's old quick. I may need to do another 6-month contract soon. A year is too long to be tied down though. I did stay at once place that did not have a microwave or oven (see post above) which was a bummer. Got some meals heated at the 7-11. I figured every place has a microwave, right? Who lives without a microwave? Wrong. 🤣 They were not cheap either (20k baht a month), just not well furnished.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Who lives without a microwave?

Certainly not I.

I have 3 working microwaves (Electrolux), which I purchased this year (2), and last year (1)

I also have a Panasonic microwave oven that I purchased 10 years ago. I only used it for about a month, and then it stopped working.  I had the guy replace a capacitor. It worked for about 4 months, and then stopped working.  I decided not to repair it, but just keep it an maybe cannibalize it for parts or something.  The magnetron has only been used for about 0.5 years, in fact.

I have another larger Electrolux microwave oven that I bought almost 3 years ago...  After 2 years, and with light use, it stopped working due to a problem with the PC-board.  I decided not to fix it, and bought a new microwave for about Bt.1750.  I will just keep it as a  souvenir, for the time being.  Or, maybe I will fix it some time in the distant future.

For sure: I now view products purchased here with great skepticism.  And, I always buy the cheapest garbage I can find.  The garbage seems to last as long as the premium stuff.  (Well, why should it not?  It's all imported from China at costs that are way too low.  YOU PAY FOR GARBAGE, BECAUSE YOU ARE ONLY WILLING TO PAY FOR GARBAGE, and so the Chinese exporters provide the GARBAGE that you paid for.  IF you want premium quality from CHINA, then you will need to PAY for it.  This is what importers around the world are completely unwilling to do.  They import GARBAGE so that they can sell this garbage to their....GARBAGE CUSTOMERS.    What did these customers EXPECT, ....ANYWAY?!!!)

Edited by GammaGlobulin