Heathrow and Gatwick Airports Targeted by Just Stop Oil eco-idiots

Social Media

image.png.d8dc217453978d4afc90f38d1f049429.png

Heathrow Airport faced disruption this morning as Just Stop Oil activists targeted its Terminal 5, following an earlier failed attempt at Gatwick Airport. The eco-protesters covered departure boards in orange paint and sprayed windows and floors before sitting down in front of the boards. Security quickly intervened, removing the protesters from the premises. 

The Just Stop Oil protesters covered parts of Heathrow in bright orange paint

Heathrow Airport confirmed the swift resolution of the incident, stating that the airport continues to operate as normal, with passengers traveling as planned. The Metropolitan Police reported the arrest of two protesters and maintained a presence at the terminal to handle any further issues.

Yesterday, Just Stop Oil activists attempted to block the departure gates at Gatwick's South Terminal around 8 am. However, holidaymakers simply stepped over the protesters, rendering the blockade ineffective. Sussex Police arrested eight people on suspicion of interfering with public infrastructure, assuring that the airport was functioning normally without any disruption caused by the protest. Gatwick Airport reiterated that operations remained unaffected, with arrested protesters being removed.

It comes after they yesterday tried to block departure gates at Gatwick - but holidaymakers merely walked past them

In a related protest, Extinction Rebellion activists blocked Old Queen Street in Westminster, targeting the Policy Exchange office with pools of black liquid. This event is part of a broader campaign aimed at disrupting airports and the holiday industry, moving away from road blockades.

2024-stop-oil-target-gatwick-920609033.jpg?strip=all&w=960

The recent actions follow a series of arrests of Just Stop Oil members across multiple countries, including Germany, Norway, Finland, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland. These arrests were part of a crackdown on the group's campaign, which had billed July 23 as an “international uprising” under the banner “Oil Kills.” Authorities detained seven protesters at Heathrow under the Public Order Act, on suspicion of conspiring to interfere with a site of key national infrastructure, before they could reach a runway. Similar arrests were made in other countries, with police finding cutting gear and glue on the activists.

dk-23-07-oil-plot-v2_GRAPHIC.png

The arrests were seen as a preemptive measure to prevent a summer of chaos, following the earlier imprisonment of Extinction Rebellion mastermind Roger Hallam and four others for up to five years, after their campaign to block motorways in 2022 was exposed. 

Just Stop Oil named two of the arrested Heathrow protesters as Sally Davidson, a 36-year-old hairdresser from Portland, Dorset, and Adam Beard, a 55-year-old gardener from Stroud, Gloucestershire. The group’s coordinated efforts and the quick responses from authorities highlight the ongoing tensions between environmental activists and those aiming to maintain public order and infrastructure integrity.

Credit: The Sun | The Standard  2024-07-31

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Sad 4

49 minutes ago, Social Media said:

Extinction Rebellion mastermind Roger Hallam

:cheesy:I wasn't aware the criteria for "mastermind" had been dumbed down so significantly,  I think he's currently serving 5 years with all the other "high achievers" . These lot are welcome to join him.   Personally I hope they get bummed whilst in prison   might put some sense into them

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

When will governments in Europe jail such eco terrorists with long term sentences ? Their acts are going much to far.

100% agree...

While I am completely behind the need for continued petroleum production, firmly believe that our need for such products (petroleum) is essential to not only our standard of living, but our well being... and, that we should be concentrating on carbon-recapture instead..... 

... I also believe everyone has the right to peaceful and non-inhibitive protest...  But, these are not peaceful protests, they are acts of vandalism and should be treated as such with heavy fines and jail sentences (where appropriate).

• Agree 2

Britain will need oil and oil-based products for many years ahead, until and unless fast progress is made in  increasing atomic energy capacity.

For now it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly to produce oil from domestic sources than to import.

What on earth are the stop oil people trying to achieve ? It seems to me they have no idea about the realities of the current situation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

Britain will need oil and oil-based products for many years ahead, until and unless fast progress is made in  increasing atomic energy capacity.

For now it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly to produce oil from domestic sources than to import.

What on earth are the stop oil people trying to achieve ? It seems to me they have no idea about the realities of the current situation.

Not to mention the extra carbon footprint of importing all the oil in the first place... 

An utterly ridiculous situation the UK has placed itself him - attempting to go carbon neutral, importing oil from overseas at a higher cost and higher carbon footprint than domestic production - all in the name of and woke vote-buying....   

... meanwhile China's Coal production and consumption has tripled in the last decade and they are laughing at the world as we end up buying all their products making them more powerful and wealthier as we cripple our own economies. 

52 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Nothing wrong with peaceful protests. Nothing wrong with police dragging protesters out of the way.

Since learning that Exxon knew 30 years ago they they would cause climate change I have no sympathy with oil companies being targeted.

Yes, Pike, bicycle running OK, not living in LOS, or you are, arrived by canoe..............:coffee1:

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

"What on earth are the stop oil people trying to achieve ? It seems to me they have no idea about the realities of the current situation."

Stop producing oil by 2030.

It is remarkable, and a complete failure of basic security that these creatures were allowed/were able to get into the airport and as far as the departure boards of Terminal 5 carrying those adapted fire extinguishers.

Some fine photo's of the police standing around doing nothing!

Still, credit where credit is due - they managed to arrest Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) under the Terrorism Act at the Channel Tunnel for, ermm, being an unpleasant individual (which he is)?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"What on earth are the stop oil people trying to achieve ? It seems to me they have no idea about the realities of the current situation."

Stop producing oil by 2030.

Even by 2030 - without oil we will revert to the dark ages.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Still, credit where credit is due - they managed to arrest Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) under the Terrorism Act at the Channel Tunnel for, ermm, being an unpleasant individual (which he is)?

An unpleasant individual perhaps, equally so, perhaps quite necessary....   as 'equally unpleasant' as people having to kill others in the name of freedom, yet quite necessary although not on the same level....  Tommy Robinson is perhaps  necessary for spreading an unpopular but not inaccurate message (depending on ones perspective of course).

I don't find the the 'Just Stop Oil' message necessary in an manner or form...  Arguing for carbon capture and more sustainable recycling would be a far better stance IMO.

Taking an individual facet of a larger argument - while we buy milk from a supermarket in plastic bottles when it was once delivered to the home by EV in reusable glass bottles highlights a bigger issues.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Even by 2030 - without oil we will revert to the dark ages.

I don't think the target is realistic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, soalbundy said:

But you do like electric light and busses and trains and electricity to run your computer and mobile. It has been shown that while making great strides in renewable they aren't enough to power our civilization. Oil as an energy source will be needed until we get cold fusion working, the Chinese are ahead of us in this respect. Anyway they aren't targeting oil companies they are attempting to disrupt the lives of ordinary citizens (that will make everybody sympathetic to their cause).Trying to destroy old masterpieces is a sign of savagery. 

I guess you would have denied pesky women the vote in the early 20th century?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, Pike, bicycle running OK, not living in LOS, or you are, arrived by canoe..............:coffee1:

You are living in the past. They have electric trains and cars in this century. The rest will come with time.

10 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I guess you would have denied pesky women the vote in the early 20th century?

No, I find your post confusing, you are trying to defend the indefensible. I am of the opinion that if climate change can't be solved soon then we will have a catastrophe that can't be financed on our hands, but destroying our civilization up front by banning oil isn't helpful or logical, science and industry have been experimenting with cold fusion for decades and they are on the cusp of success, that is the future.

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

You are living in the past. They have electric trains and cars in this century. The rest will come with time.

Oh, so you arrived in LOS on an electric aeroplane, now if you didn't, you are a hypocrite......:whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Oh, so you arrived in LOS on an electric aeroplane, now if you didn't, you are a hypocrite......:whistling:

You really don't understand that time moves forward,  not backward, do you? People rode horses from Europe to Asia (Alexander the Great for instance), then sailed on boats. Today they fly in aircraft. Stop looking backwards.

Tomorrow, there will be another innovation. We can't keep saying use oil and coal as we did historically. Green energy will become predominant in the future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

You really don't understand that time moves forward,  not backward, do you? People rode horses from Europe to Asia (Alexander the Great for instance), then sailed on boats. Today they fly in aircraft. Stop looking backwards.

Tomorrow, there will be another innovation. We can't keep saying use oil and coal as we did historically. Green energy will become predominant in the future.

Sunbeam, it seems YOU don't understand, or the stop oil fruitcakes, we are nowhere near the crossroads you talk about..........🙄........:coffee1:

People were doing the same about nuclear power, where are they now, all toasty in their houses.....?  🤭

Do you actually think there is no one working on new types of energy at this very moment, well do you.......? :ohmy:

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

No, I find your post confusing, you are trying to defend the indefensible. I am of the opinion that if climate change can't be solved soon then we will have a catastrophe that can't be financed on our hands, but destroying our civilization up front by banning oil isn't helpful or logical, science and industry have been experimenting with cold fusion for decades and they are on the cusp of success, that is the future.

A hundred years ago, men would tap on your bedroom window to wake you up. Then someone invented alarm clocks.

Ice was delivered by horse and cart. Then someone invented refrigerators.

Time moves forward. You are confusing the time it has taken to create fusion with the idea it is impossible.

When I read about the suffragettes, old men thought giving them the vote to women was stupid too. Some men objected to women having the vote because they believed them to be inferior.   It was suggested that women could not think out matters coolly and calmly.   Others would not agree to women’s suffrage because they did not want change.   Women had never voted before.   Why should they start now?   A further objection involved property.   In 1900, few women were householders or lodgers.   If the vote were given to them, then it would have to be given also to men who were not householders or lodgers.   At that time political parties were not prepared to do this. Oh, those annoying women with their demonstrations, throwing themselves under the king's horse etc.

The women's movement was founded in 1903. They didn't get the vote until 1928. 25 years of annoying demonstrations!

I understand you think things are so difficult -  next to impossible - but how long did the atomic bomb take to be made? Must needs when the devil drives.

These people are on the side of the angels and as for being a nuisance, how else can they change the minds of old politicians?

I hope you weren't thinking they did this to upset only you?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Sunbeam, it seems YOU don't understand, or the stop oil fruitcakes, we are nowhere near the crossroads you talk about..........🙄........:coffee1:

People were doing the same about nuclear power, where are they now, all toasty in their houses.....?  🤭

Do you actually think there is no one working on new types of energy at this very moment, well do you.......? :ohmy:

You really are stuck in a groove of not thinking things will change. Honestly, I doubt if protesters have a timeline to get what they want. They simply see it as something that must be done.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Purdey said:

Nothing wrong with peaceful protests. Nothing wrong with police dragging protesters out of the way.

Since learning that Exxon knew 30 years ago they they would cause climate change I have no sympathy with oil companies being targeted.

In an ideal world we would not polute or kill the inviroment for economic growth and greed, but, here we are, killing the enviroment that keeps the human race and our food alive

Edited by Hummin
  • Agree 1

Just now, Hummin said:

In an ideal world we would not polute or kill the invirment for economic growth and greed, but, here we are, killing the enviroment that keeps the human race and our food alive

Just to clarify what you wrote: "We need to kill the world in order for people to live."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

A hundred years ago, men would tap on your bedroom window to wake you up. Then someone invented alarm clocks.

Ice was delivered by horse and cart. Then someone invented refrigerators.

Time moves forward. You are confusing the time it has taken to create fusion with the idea it is impossible.

When I read about the suffragettes, old men thought giving them the vote to women was stupid too. Some men objected to women having the vote because they believed them to be inferior.   It was suggested that women could not think out matters coolly and calmly.   Others would not agree to women’s suffrage because they did not want change.   Women had never voted before.   Why should they start now?   A further objection involved property.   In 1900, few women were householders or lodgers.   If the vote were given to them, then it would have to be given also to men who were not householders or lodgers.   At that time political parties were not prepared to do this. Oh, those annoying women with their demonstrations, throwing themselves under the king's horse etc.

The women's movement was founded in 1903. They didn't get the vote until 1928. 25 years of annoying demonstrations!

I understand you think things are so difficult -  next to impossible - but how long did the atomic bomb take to be made? Must needs when the devil drives.

These people are on the side of the angels and as for being a nuisance, how else can they change the minds of old politicians?

I hope you weren't thinking they did this to upset only you?

It reads like you are around 120 years old, or more, and so daft to think things will change because a few nutters want to annoy folk doing their daily thing with what is the norm now.

Your orange protesters, I see lugging on a ciggy in public, they are hypocrite nutters...😬