Tour Buses Have Taken Over the North Pattaya Area

Mason45

I purchased my condo 10 years ago, at first it was ideal but in recent times it has really gone down hill. I go for a 90 minutes walk every morning at 6.30 am. Once off Naklua Road heading towards the Wongamat area there's tour buses everywhere. They park opposite double lines and even park on red and white stripe kerbs. Traffic is forced to drive down the wrong side of the road. There's 40kmh restriction signs on the road that no one ever obeys. There's a large hotel around the corner from where I live in Naklua Road, the tour buses are taking on passengers around 8 am every morning, again where they park is no parking and the passengers block off the foot path forcing pedestrians to walk along a very busy road. Someone is going to be seriously injured one day as with the buses parked there pedestrians are forced to walk in the middle of Naklua Road with lunatic drivers and brain dead motor bike riders going like the powers of piss towards them. I must also admit the garbage that the bus drivers leave on the side of the road, food left overs, foam containers, drink bottles and let's not forget the plastic bags laying everywhere.

Edited by Mason45
typo
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, it will likely get worse.  The north Pattaya/Naklua/Wongamat area is the most booming area of Pattaya these days, spurred by the opening of T21.  Centre Point Space and the new Akara Hotel both opened, to join a number of other new hotels, both large and smaller, in the area.  A massive third Centre Point resort is going up on a large piece of land by Cape Dara.   And, just down the street, a very large condo project is planned, to join the other big new one, Arom Wongamat.

Many old businesses by Dolphin Circle have been torn down to make a very large land plot for something new called Again Pattaya.   Sansiri has a low-rise condo project going up of mostly studio units tucked away on one of the side streets.   Older developments, such as Centara Grand and Holiday Inn, are renovating.

To get to all of this, North Pattaya and Naklua Roads are often way too traffic-clogged.  Both are at the point where they need to eliminate parking.  North Pattaya Road, especially.  Large sections of it already have no parking, so only a hundred cars or so can park on it, anyway.  Madness to allow a relatively few cars to park while leaving thousands of other cars in gridlock trying to get to their destinations.  Making it all no parking instantly adds a third lane in each direction with no construction needed.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Once off Naklua Road heading towards the Wongamat area there's tour buses everywhere.

There are quite a few sois leading from Naklua Rd. to Wong Amat. How about walking down a different soi? I don't see how they could ALL be clogged with tour buses.

Posted (edited)

Please tell me which soi to take? The route I walk every morning starts at soi 18/1 it takes in three sois, I walk up and down to reach my half way point at the entrance to the Dusit Thani Hotel. I then do a U turn and repeat the way I came. The tour buses in all these sois are illegally parked and the ones that are on the move far exceed the 40 km/h speed limit. How am I supposed to go back to my condo where the tour buses are illegally parked on Naklua Road and the passengers are blocking the foot path which is the only way to get to my condo?

Edited by Mason45
typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Please tell me which soi to take? The route I walk every morning starts at soi 18/1 it takes in three sois, I walk up and down to reach my half way point at the entrance to the Dusit Thani Hotel. I then do a U turn and repeat the way I came. The tour buses in all these sois are illegally parked and the ones that are on the move far exceed the 40 km/h speed limit. How am I supposed to go back to my condo where the tour buses are illegally parked on Naklua Road and the passengers are blocking the foot path which is the only way to get to my condo?

I hate to break it to you, but as a pedestrian, you have little standing in the plans of Pattaya, pardon the pun. They are more likely to open up more parking to facilitate vehicles, than close roads to traffic..... think of Beach Rd. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I hate to break it to you, but as a pedestrian, you have little standing in the plans of Pattaya, pardon the pun. They are more likely to open up more parking to facilitate vehicles, than close roads to traffic..... think of Beach Rd. 

So true.  And, more parking does not actually faciliate vehicles, it's just more parking, which hinders the flow of vehicles, whether it's a main road like North Pattaya or all the numerous narrow sois that are difficult to navigate with parking allowed on both sides.  

I totally agree, my main point is that tour buses are illegally parked and are blocking a full lane to the traffic. Some park opposite double lines so other motorists have to break the law to pass them. Others park on red and white kerbs which signifies no standing anytime. There's even buses that have the red and white kerb on one side and double lines on their other side. Maybe I should be using footpaths where there not built on by encroaching shop keepers. As we all know the Pattaya footpaths are all designed and laid down to Worlds best practices. May I add,  I've seen several near head on incidents where both vehicles were speeding and one was forced to travel on the wrong side of the road. Thais just refuse to wait even if the situation maybe life threatening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mason45 said:

I totally agree, my main point is that tour buses are illegally parked and are blocking a full lane to the traffic. Some park opposite double lines so other motorists have to break the law to pass them. Others park on red and white kerbs which signifies no standing anytime. There's even buses that have the red and white kerb on one side and double lines on their other side. Maybe I should be using footpaths where there not built on by encroaching shop keepers. As we all know the Pattaya footpaths are all designed and laid down to Worlds best practices. May I add,  I've seen several near head on incidents where both vehicles were speeding and one was forced to travel on the wrong side of the road. Thais just refuse to wait even if the situation maybe life threatening.

To be fair.....'parking' seems to be something of a misnomer in Thailand......abandoned.....is a better fit.

Where we are, there is mountains of space, so the 'parking' is even worse. They literally do just abandon cars, trucks, coaches.

23 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Are you suggesting that he goes opposite way? Is there more or less traffic that way?

I'm suggesting he give it a try. I dunno about the specific time he walks, but when I pass along that way sometimes I don't notice a lot of tour buses parked around. Russians walk along those streets quite often. There IS traffic, of course. It's a busy area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

I'm suggesting he give it a try. I dunno about the specific time he walks, but when I pass along that way sometimes I don't notice a lot of tour buses parked around. Russians walk along those streets quite often. There IS traffic, of course. It's a busy area.

Perhaps that's why he walks on his particular route...in order to avoid people and traffic. Going to the busiest part would defeat the object.

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Perhaps that's why he walks on his particular route...in order to avoid people and traffic. Going to the busiest part would defeat the object.

He's already defeated by parked tour buses. Rather than theorize from a keyboard, he could simply give it a try ONCE. And he doesn't have to go that exact route. Could get off the main soi along the way and walk up and down the side sois. Improvise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

He's already defeated by parked tour buses. Rather than theorize from a keyboard, he could simply give it a try ONCE. And he doesn't have to go that exact route. Could get off the main soi along the way and walk up and down the side sois. Improvise.

But you are theorising from a keyboard....

On 7/31/2024 at 2:02 PM, Mason45 said:

"the passengers are blocking the foot path which is the only way to get to my condo?"

The answer is simple, just walk right through them as if they were not there, but be mindful of old folk and children.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

But you are theorising from a keyboard....

I noted that I sometimes go that route and gave a realistic assessment. That it doesn't have a lot of tour buses and tourists blocking the path is a fact, not theory. The larger sois do have traffic, as I said. I could walk on them, I see Russians walking on them, but whether the OP himself can do so is a matter for his own discovery by walking. Are you done? Go create your own map.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I noted that I sometimes go that route and gave a realistic assessment. That it doesn't have a lot of tour buses and tourists blocking the path is a fact, not theory. The larger sois do have traffic, as I said. I could walk on them, I see Russians walking on them, but whether the OP himself can do so is a matter for his own discovery by walking. Are you done? Go create your own map.

I don't need to create a map. I know the area. 

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Nor did I. You've missed a major point. Think.

Tell me what I missed.

I noticed some presumptuous character trying to tell @Mason45 who has lived in the area for ten years.... 😊

Perhaps that's why they have ignored your post.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

Tell me what I missed.

Your map, as was mine, would be for the OP, not yourself. Duh. However, it now appears you feel incompetent to advise the OP, as he already knows everything, except how to avoid tour buses parked and unloading.

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

I noticed some presumptuous character trying to tell @Mason45 who has lived in the area for ten years.... 😊

If he knows all, then he should already know how he can avoid parked tour buses in that area and not leave it to others to tell him. Otherwise, not really looking for any solution (as is common), hence ignoring my post (not that I care), but just another whinger worthy of a laugh. And here you are popping up to bicker as usual. Yawn.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Your map, as was mine, would be for the OP, not yourself. Duh.

If he knows all, then he should already know how he can avoid parked tour buses in that area and not leave it to others to tell him. Otherwise, not really looking for any solution (as is common), but just another whinger worthy of a laugh. And here you are to bicker as usual. Yawn.

I would not be so rude as to presume to post a map of the OP's own area for them.

Leave it to others to tell him? That's a very smart posterior you think that you have there....they didn't ask for your advice at all. You rudely decided to offer it anyway. 

"Whinger worth a laugh"?? So now you feel it appropriate to insult the OP? What a character you have there. You must feel proud 🤮

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Not much better in Jomtien.  Tour busses parked all over Thappraya Rd.

More monster condos coming on line in the next few years.  Second Rd. will be a disaster.  Its already started.  Getting into Pattaya becoming a real drag.

On 7/31/2024 at 5:36 AM, scubascuba3 said:

In my condo ob Pratumnak on one side buses are parked all day using AC which makes noise all the time, luckily I'm on the other side of the condo, certainly best to avoid those places

Jomtien next to the night market and Copacabana. Stinking smells and heat as the driver kips in the bus waiting . 

10 hours ago, LALes said:

Not much better in Jomtien.  Tour busses parked all over Thappraya Rd.

More monster condos coming on line in the next few years.  Second Rd. will be a disaster.  Its already started.  Getting into Pattaya becoming a real drag.

You will be able to bypass all the traffic on the soon to be built monorail!

• Haha 2