Pocket money for my son

I think the amount depends on yours/his circle of friends.  At 13, he's going to want to start buying some of his own clothes, shoes, video games, whatever.  Depending on his circle of peers, he needs to at least be able run with them without developing any problems of not fitting in.

1000-2000, whatever you decide, make him at least WORK for it.  He needs to feel he is earning it from work.

Chores, helping-out somewhere, perhaps peg it to his grades.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Make him earn it.

.....that is last century speech. Outdated!

In some Western countries kiddos are entitled to get pocket money. The amount is depending on family's income.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Personally I would think, what I wanted to buy a week/daily, when I was that age, normally sweets/snacks on the way home from school, and work it out from there, also teach him to save up for something. Maybe also a bit extra for chores, as things like paper rounds are no longer a 'thing'. ........ 

On 8/2/2024 at 10:13 AM, jvs said:

It is 100% more then he has now,that is a lot! There is no need to spend money everyday,he needs to learn how to handle money,when it is gone he will have to wait until next month .

I would not just give it either,there should be a way to make him feel he earns it,

I think it should be on a weekly 'payment' not monthly. That sounds like an American thing to me.

• Confused 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:30 AM, Will B Good said:

Make him earn it.

Agree. Chores around the house. Gardening, washing up, cleaning. It teaches them to value the money they earn, and not waste it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:00 AM, PoorSucker said:

1000 it is. Thanks

Something to consider is making his pocket money based on what he does. Give him a 500 baht base. Then, based on school work and jobs around the house, add to it.  You can also tell him based on merit that you will put away x amount so that he can buy an IPAD or something else.

Also, the amount you give has to depend on the school he is at I am sure tht prices are different for things around school at the higher end schools than at the lower end.

Also pay him at the begining and mid pint of the month and watch what he sends it on.   I am sure he will blow the first part in a few days and come back formore LOL

We all did.  Then we learned.

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

In some Western countries kiddos are entitled to get pocket money. The amount is depending on family's income.

Which is better, teaching a kid to value the money they earn, or having them regard it as an entitlement?

Most successful people I know went out and earned their wealth, they certainly did not wait for someone to hand it to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Which is better, teaching a kid to value the money they earn, or having them regard it as an entitlement?

Most successful people I know went out and earned their wealth, they certainly did not wait for someone to hand it to them.

It's not about better.

If kids are entitled to get pocket money it's not in your hand anymore. You can't deny to supply them with money, not even as punishment. But parents are entitled to get help from their kids at home. Not as work but helping hand. 

You - personally- might not agree. But it's about rights of children and rights of parents. 

Normally it's not necessary to discuss this because in most cases there will be an agreement between parents and children.

Also, parents are not to beat their kids as punishment.

You see there are a lot of changes in the meantime when you were young.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

You see there are a lot of changes in the meantime when you were young.

Can you honestly say those changes are for the better?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Maybe why so many things are going wrong in society is that people summarily discount what went on in the past?

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Can you honestly say those changes are for the better?

I was beaten by my father and he was beaten by his father......An education without violence seems for me the better way, yes.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I was beaten by my father and he was beaten by his father......An education without violence seems for me the better way, yes.

I agree. Not something I experienced from my father.

Educating kids money must be earned is a better way to me. I bought my first bicycle with money I made from collecting scrap metal, and my first set of golf clubs from caddying.

How many spoiled rich kids are around nowadays?

Just now, Lacessit said:

Educating kids money must be earned is a better way to me. I bought my first bicycle with money I made from collecting scrap metal, and my first set of golf clubs from caddying.

Similar.....first bike (fixed wheel OMG that was dangerous) made from parts begged from a scrap merchant.....golf, all four clubs, only saw holes 2 to 17 for the first three years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2024 at 9:56 AM, jvs said:

I would give him the monthly average of the water and electricity bill plus maybe

1000 baht but no more.

So he will go and have 30 minute, 60 degree electric showers in his air-conned room just to get the utility bills up.

15 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I was NEVER beaten by my Dad though I was smacked 2 or 3 times. I only smacked my son in the UK a couple of times.

Here in Thailand I have NEVER smacked my second son as I have never had the need to do so.

Just now, billd766 said:

I was NEVER beaten by my Dad though I was smacked 2 or 3 times. I only smacked my son in the UK a couple of times.

Here in Thailand I have NEVER smacked my second son as I have never had the need to do so.

As a single dad with four kids all under the age of 12 I never smacked any of them.....had some long, serious chats at times though...555

No time to read all posts.  Like people have mentioned better to give him X amount a week and let him learn to budget and not spend money foolishly.  Then he would need to ask if he needs to make a bigger purchase or explain how X amount may not be enough.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Agreed.

Since I was 15 (before unofficially in a garden shop)  I always worked in school holidays...construction, farm,....and later as a student in steel factory. All my cars I paid by myself and also the time on University. I didn't take any money from my parents. No need to say thank you to them.

Today kids are supervised 24/7. Too much money in their hands, too many "influencer", too much life-balance 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So he will go and have 30 minute, 60 degree electric showers in his air-conned room just to get the utility bills up.

Maybe if you would read the whole post and react to that it would make any sense.

On 8/2/2024 at 9:39 AM, PoorSucker said:

He's 13 this year, how much should I give him....

Posting here because prices are different on Koh Samui compared to Pattaya where I live now.

If I give him 2000 baht per month is it spoiling him or is 1000 baht enough.

Thanks for advice...

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

As you say, 1,000 is enough for a 13-year old...👍

I chose 2000 Baht for girlfriend's 15  Y.O. boy with the stipulation that he saves 1000 THB each month.

The allowance continues as long as he makes satisfactory grades.

Last week we bought him a 27K Asus laptop.

On 8/2/2024 at 10:10 AM, marin said:

Give him enough to enjoy life but have him keep a budget. Where did the money go must be stated in order to get more next month. 

Do you think 33 baht a day is enough for a 13 year old. What can he buy for that in todays Thailand?

A small tin of Chang

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I chose 2000 Baht for girlfriend's 15  Y.O. boy with the stipulation that he saves 1000 THB each month.

The allowance continues as long as he makes satisfactory grades.

Last week we bought him a 27K Asus laptop.

We or you bought him?

Just now, UK Martin said:

Cheap Charlies on here... poor kid, I feel sorry for him, give him jobs to earn more cash!  

Exactly or set goals.....homework completion, participation in whatever, exam grades, .....something that tries to ensure positive outcomes.