Neck and shoulder pains from computer mouse

I have tried the normal, trackball and now a so called ergometric shaped form of mouse but I still get terrible pains. It does not help that part of my neck's discs are titanium implants. So I was wondering if their are other forms of mouse one can try.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you tried changing hands? certainly should help the shoulder. I had an issue once and changed hands worked well

Yes that or try to place the mouse closed or further away from you and on another level.

I placed mine near my arm rest and it is much better now,i also dealt with pain .

I think the best way is to get away from you computer for awhile,i know that is not easy sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

stretches and exercises as less time at the computer will help together with regular massage therapy. It is simple if you are willing to put the time and effort in to it to get reliefe from pain

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, bubblegum said:

I have tried the normal, trackball and now a so called ergometric shaped form of mouse but I still get terrible pains. It does not help that part of my neck's discs are titanium implants. So I was wondering if their are other forms of mouse one can try.

The height and shape of your seat might be a problem?

Think about to give commands to your computer by voice?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. 

The most obvious one is missing: spend less time on the computer,  especially if your neck's discs are not ok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

The height and shape of your seat might be a problem?

That is certainly a good point.

If you have a good seat, then you can sit and relax.

Then use a decent ergonomic keyboard and mouse and all should be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you try something high quality like the Logitech Trackball?

You don't have to move your arm at all. And your wrist is in a natural position.

%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AA%E0%

Been there done it

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

The most obvious one is missing: spend less time on the computer,  especially if your neck's discs are not ok.

I think the best way is to get away from you computer for awhile,i know that is not easy sometimes.

from an earlier post.

23 hours ago, bubblegum said:

I found height matters, a lot.  Think about it, if you hang your arm loosely at your waist there is no shoulder or elbow effort, generically speaking I think lower is better.  I have a keyboard tray where my mouse resides and adjustable chair height that work in tandem.  I've also found it helpful to utilize a mousepad that has wrist support. 

Good luck, hope you find a configuration that works for you. :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life

What they said. I like an external trackpad myself. Use a wrist rest to elevate the wrist, small pillow's good. Also have the keyboard and mouse below the table on a pullout shelf so you needn't lean over and elevate your arms.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rotweiler said:

LOL.  His computer seems fine.  He was posting about his MOUSE.

er, yes, but the last time i looked, Apples don't need  mice!

1 hour ago, bubblegum said:

Been there done it

Ok, great.

But then I am confused that you mention your neck's titanium disks. How are they related to work with mouse and keyboard?

You write about neck and shoulder pain, not about arm, wrist, pain in the hands, etc.

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Read the answers, and you will see at least two have suggested the same 😄

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, great.

But then I am confused that you mention your neck's titanium disks. How are they related to work with mouse and keyboard?

You write about neck and shoulder pain, not about arm, wrist, pain in the hands, etc.

That's because only my neck hurts. Because my nerv system is compromised my muscles will act up and (don't know how to say in English) it looks like I do heavy work all the time so then I get the muscle pains going from shoulder blades up to my ear (left side only.

1 minute ago, bubblegum said:

That's because only my neck hurts. Because my nerv system is compromised my muscles will act up and (don't know how to say in English) it looks like I do heavy work all the time so then I get the muscle pains going from shoulder blades up to my ear (left side only.

You need a strong back and neck to sit and work, so you know what you have to do to get rid of the your problem, and stop looking everywhere else. To get rid of inflammation you need to get some blood flooding to the area, and stop doing what creates your pain until it is heeled. 

I had such good luck with Ergonomic (Vertical) mice (?) that I bought enough for my entire group at the office.  Some of them loved them, some didn't notice a difference.  They were all young pups, so maybe they didn't need them like old fart me.   

I bought them from Lazada.  The wireless ones that cost less than 300 baht didn't seem to last as long.

Edit:  I had also bought an adjustable height office chair that helped, by getting my entire forearm at the same height as the desktop.  It was a little spendy, but well worth it.  I think about 5500 baht.  But there are cheaper models with height adjustment, and you can spend a lot more if you choose.

Edited by impulse