Have you ever done a 'runner' and not paid a bill?

I did, but I redeemed myself by sending the money on after I left in a hurry 🙂

I was staying at a luxury hotel in the centre of Amsterdam (in the days when I had $$$).  Unfortunately, I maxxed out my credit card the previous evening on some expensive hookers!  My Mazda sports car was in the underground car park and I feared that the security door of the car park wouldn't open until I paid my bill.  Luckily, it did open and I left in a hurry, then contacted the hotel once I crossed into Belgium and explained that I had forgotten to pay my bill and I arranged to sort out payment.

Anyway, it was money well-spent (The hotel, not the hookers.... I think!)

• Haha 1

Once at a restaurant at the New Jersey shore (USA), with a group of us.  They didn't clue me in on that was their plan at the time.   We did get to spend the night in jail, though on something unrelated.

One of the best overnights I ever had.  Along with one of the best times at the NJ shore.  Actually the time spent in lock up ... go figure.  Think I was 18 yrs old at the time, maybe.

Every time I was hospitalized from about 1975 until 1997, which was a few. 

I also absolutely cleaned out a minibar at a nice Denver hotel once back in the '80s when I got stuck for weather and the airline put us there with a meal coupon that would not cover even the cheapest thing on the menu. 

Never shoplifted that I remember, and never did the dine & dash. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

some expensive hookers

First, I wanted to write an answer simply: No.

But when I read about above, I remembered one of those. I forgot to give her money, and she thought I gave the money already to the mama-san.

Then, later that day I remembered that I didn't pay. She was not the kind who accepts remote payment per credit card. So, I visited her again and paid also for my previous visit. All fine.

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But when I read about above, I remembered one of those. I forgot to give her money, and she thought I gave the money already to the mama-san.

Then, later that day I remembered that I didn't pay. She was not the kind who accepts remote payment per credit card. So, I visited her again and paid also for my previous visit. All fine.

Don't go into politics

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't think I ever forgot to pay.   Have corrected more than a few bills, in their favor mostly.   Also returned too much change when given.   Small vendors or cashiers.

I have been undercharged, I think at times, at larger, highly profit making chains.   But I'm sure it was probably on a sale I didn't notice, and hate for them to lose face if I pointed it out.   Just assume they know better than myself, what the real price was :cheesy:

555 when i was 16 in a restaurant. i was working nearby unloading a truck, when all of a sudden this big mafia looking guy showed up and demanded his money. it was all i had, but i coughed it up... never since

karma is a bitch not to be messed with

I was having a few beers in the Cafe De Paris in Monaco on the Friday before the GP. The waiter was a rather surly frenchman, and the beers were exorbitantly priced. When I asked for the bill he got the number I'd had wrong and I didn't feel inclined to correct him since for once the mistake was in my favour.

One free beer. Big deal.

But it felt good.

Never have, never will. If someone makes a mistake in my favor, I point it out to them. Mind you, I do the converse as well.

Just curious about the Dutch hookers - did the OP feel like a tube of toothpaste that had been squeezed in the middle afterwards?

Myself and a friend walked out of an Indian restaurant in the UK without paying after having requested the bill three times. We had been drinking quite heavily and at the time he convinced me that it was both acceptable and actual written law that, if you have requested the bill three times and it hasn't been produced, then you are good to go. 

Once, during my college days. My girlfriend Sally and I took this old man that lived in my apartment building, out to an "all you can eat" place that he liked. When it was time to leave I got up to go the the bathroom but there was a family with kids ahead of me, so by the time I got back, I saw our table had been cleared and Sally and the old guy were outside.  I assumed Sally had paid so I went out also. It wasn't until the next day when I asked Sally how much I owed that we realized that neither of us had paid.