Flight instructor dies as his plane crashes into empty house

image.png

A single-seat aircraft crashed into an empty house in a golf resort in Samut Sakhon’s Muang district this morning. The pilot died in the accident and the house caught fire.

Firefighters found the wrecked plane stuck in the roof of the empty house, which eventually burned to the ground.

The pilot has been identified as Pudit Supawatanakul, 30, a flight instructor.

An initial investigation has found that Pudit was taking the plane for a test flight, following engine repairs, when he encountered problems.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-08-05

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

An initial investigation has found that Pudit was taking the plane for a test flight, following engine repairs, when he encountered problems.

Puttt puuttt puttt ?

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In the US if a major repair is performed on aircraft the mechanic would fly with the pilot. I owned an airplane in the past (A Cessna 172) and after a major repair to the to engine the mechanic and I took the first flight.  The flight went well. 

This isn't the same as the USA

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In the US if a major repair is performed on aircraft the mechanic would fly with the pilot. I owned an airplane in the past (A Cessna 172) and after a major repair to the to engine the mechanic and I took the first flight.  The flight went well. 

I've never heard of that, I don't think we do it in the UK although I may be wrong. 

It makes sense, the mechanic is confident about the quality of his work and willing to prove it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

This isn't the same as the USA

Yeah I know. I would never fly a general airplane in the Land of Smiles. I have over 30 years of general avaiation flying experience in the US. At one tiime I was a also a flight instructor (CFI and CFII).  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A single-seat aircraft crashed into an empty house in a golf resort in Samut Sakhon’s Muang district this morning.

Probably there wasn’t space for anybody else to fly with him?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Sad end for such a young life wonder what type of ac,a single seat makes me think perhaps it was a home built my condolences to his family 

It is reported that this aircraft model was a ZODIAC CH 601, which is available as a kit or completed aircraft.

https://asn.flightsafety.org/wikibase/406794

Similar aircraft pictured below for reference.

IMG_4113.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wozzlegummich said:

I don't think the CAAT is anywhere as stringent as the FAA with GA stuff. Would there even be a full and thorough investigation?

Aviation crash investigations in Thailand are conducted under the authority of The Thai Aircraft Accident Investigation Committee and it was reported in Thai media, they were on site, with police forensic teams in the afternoon after the crash.

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

How do they do that in "A single-seat aircraft crashed into an empty house"

• Haha 1

Even new one crash, ref. Boing😇

And what may be the reason for that, if the mechanic did not do his job properly that he also gets killed?
After all, if something goes wrong during the flight, there is nothing he too can do.
Strange rule.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, wozzlegummich said:

don't think the CAAT is anywhere as stringent as the FAA with GA stuff. Would there even be a full and thorough investigation?

Don't make me laugh... FAA stringent...? In your dreams. Most of the work is IA, DAR, all delegated by the FAA. Useless in their oversight obligations with the organisation itself being subject to political appointees at the top and 're-authorisation '... People furloughed when federal money runs out, because of political dog fights between Congress and the federal government...

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

And what may be the reason for that, if the mechanic did not do his job properly that he also gets killed?
After all, if something goes wrong during the flight, there is nothing he too can do.
Strange rule.

So you are an experieced pilot. aircraft owner or AP Mechanic? 

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

How do they do that in "A single-seat aircraft crashed into an empty house"

Obviously a single seater aircraft cannot take a mechanic for a test flight. 

The ch601 is a 2 seat home built ac I’m thinking it’s a bit of a mistake it should have said single engine.here in the states if you build 51% of the aircraft you can perform all maintenance on it.the ch 601 is the most unpopular model in the zineth line of kit aircraft.they market some exceptional STOL designs the 701 sky jeep the 750 stol and the 750 cruser.I was considering the 701 at one time but it’s slow and the wife was not happy about it lol 😂 ah well no more full scale for me I must be content with my rv sailplanes….sad 

This statement, from the manager of Best Ocean Airfield, who said  that the aircraft had not been flown for over three years and it was intended for the aircraft to be relocated to Klong 11 in Pathum Thani.

The aircraft was also previously registered as HS-IMR, see below, before changing registration number.

IMG_4162.jpeg