Brutal assault on Canadian raises serious questions about tourist safety in Pattaya

webfact

19 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Someone who can readily handle themselves is going to trash one of these "bouncers" one day, because they have to fight in packs, or get a running start before kicking someone in the head that's already down. Only problem is, when that bouncer goes to the hospital, the foreigner will be blamed even if he didn't start the fight but finish it.

I was lucky enough to see it happen in Bangkok on suk around 15 years ago. They picked on one drunk Brit who was on his way out of a bar to meet his meet his colleagues ….they were all military inc the drunk one. It didn’t end well for the bouncers and wai’s were going the other way. Just a bunch of bully’s those bouncers in black, Muay Thai has beens who hate farrang . Tbf though,  I’d hate them as well eventually, esp if you are  doing that job for too long 😂 

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, jogamonkseven said:

Some users here is out of mind. Even if he have kill mamasan of some bar that not make reason to beat him to hospital. In every similar topic same persons writing comments at probably have do something more wrong and that's why security guys have beaten them. But there is no any kind of reason ever beat people to hospital if you are working security. (Not in other cases also reason beat anyone) 

Even if someone kill someone foreigner or Thai in soi 6 or anywhere, that security people work is control situation until police will arrive and then after that killer get justice but country like Thailand can be at even in police station that killer get wrong kind of justice but there not helping if security guys beat him hospital condition, girls cut balls away and mix with vodka before ambulance arrive and nurse in hospital poisoning with rat poison before monks dump body what is left for street dogs. 

You have been drinking? haven't you?       I seriously hope you have

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You actually called me gullible, which I've never been. Assuming things is being gullible, taking for granted it's the victim's fault without knowing any facts about the situation. Thais do attack foreigners, as well as other locals, daily. If you watch TV you will see just a fraction of what happens in the country. Letting these kinds of cowards get away with assault, if they do, as happens a lot here, especially on foreigners, will kill the tourism here, and eventually people will start going elsewhere.

it has never had any effect on tourism, and I it never will.   How many people do you think this particular incident has put off?  None, even the victim will keep on coming here

23 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Ah why not let him

He is probably bored of you doing it all the time!

It sounds like you might be defending Soi 6, that clearly explains the quality of expat you are, Leo wife beater and Bata 150baht sliders engaged i assume?

7 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Nightwish Group security. 
Brit owned and managed.

Maybe they have been watching the news of the riots back home and didn’t want to miss out?

I think there will be more to this incident than just leaning on a car. 

Thais just don’t go around bashing farangs for no reason.

Likely an assault on a female or not wanting to pay a bill followed by some mouthing off and drunkenness has caused this.

You seem to be the expert on all this.

And a bit of a gob<deleted>e too.

Edited by saintdomingo

Remember that most bouncers in Pattaya, in the words of one I spoke to years ago, do that job as they “like to fighting with farang”.

That has always been my opinion anyway after witnessing many such incidents over the years. Even the slightest negative contact with one (and his 4 friends that appear out of nowhere) can put more than a little dampener on an evening out. 

Keep smiling at all times and they will tolerate you. :)

• Like 1

From the cctv footage it appears that the injured man hit his head a second time when one of the people trying to help him up let go of his arm.

Maybe they panicked when they realised he was unconscious.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, jogamonkseven said:

Some users here is out of mind. Even if he have kill mamasan of some bar that not make reason to beat him to hospital.

If he killed a mamasan.... the hospital visit would be in a body bag !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simon1287 said:

Remember that most bouncers in Pattaya, in the words of one I spoke to years ago, do that job as they “like to fighting with farang”.

That has always been my opinion anyway after witnessing many such incidents over the years. Even the slightest negative contact with one (and his 4 friends that appear out of nowhere) can put more than a little dampener on an evening out. 

Keep smiling at all times and they will tolerate you. 🙂

How many years ago did you speak with the bouncer and how many incidents have you witnessed ?

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

it has never had any effect on tourism, and I it never will.   How many people do you think this particular incident has put off?  None, even the victim will keep on coming here

Any act of violence anywhere drops tourism in that area. There are a lot of people who want to visit Thailand, and word of mouth gets around. People see in the news daily what goes on here, along with advice from those that live here. The way foreigners are treated here will stop many from coming,with the exception of China because they are in cahoots with each other. I've heard from a couple of expats here that said their friends were considering coming here, but after seeing people killed on the islands, decided to go to Mexico, The Caribbean and Europe instead. Multiply those by all the people who have been here, stayed here, and heard the news, and it will, and has dropped. Thinking the victim will want to come back here is ridiculous. All of the foreigners that have been victims here have friends and family, who now know what goes on here . Certain areas, the tourist areas, will lose tourists.......https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/2800713/thailand-drops-11-places-in-tourism-ranking.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Agree 1

What is the world coming to when you can't take a stroll down Soi 6 without getting a beat down?

What happened to the smell of fresh espresso and croissants. Where has it gone, the sweet sound of jovial conversation and pleasant music? The smiles and lite conversation of the locals.

In all seriousness though,there are way to many numbskull foreigners jetting into Thailand and acting like complete ass hats. Sorry he got hurt but in a way I think he may have deserved a beat down for being an entitled drunkard foreigner trying to pound his ego filled chest in probably the most stanky armpit of a s#!t hole whore house strip of street in the world.

If anyone is surprised this happened than they need a major reality check.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

How many years ago did you speak with the bouncer and how many incidents have you witnessed ?

Probably 5 years ago.

I have witnessed (not only in Pattaya I am including Bangkok) around 7 or 8 pretty much unnecessary attacks by "bouncers" on farangs who's real "crime" was to be a bit drunk (not even behaving particularly badly) or had good reason to dispute a padded bar bill, to know perfectly well that great enjoyment was taken by the "bouncers". 

I have also witnessed a few attacks that have been thoroughly deserved and would have happily bought the bouncers a drink if they weren't so worked up I would have been flattened too.

I have been around Pattaya (and Thailand generally) a lot since about 1994. Long before there were even bars in Soi 7 (a dark quiet soi it was to walk down then) The boy friend of my then girl friend had the very first bar in soi 7 I seem to remember (1995??) so witnessing that number of attacks is still really quite a small number over all those years.

I stand by what I said though and if anyone who actually knows the situation there first hand says he disagrees then he is probably a bar owner in soi 6 or somewhere who employs thugs, sorry, bouncers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah, nothing recent... thanks for clarifying.

The 5 years ago was when that particular bouncer made that statement. It's always been like that and still is. The bouncers aren't in it just for the money.

Last attack I saw was a few months ago. If anything, they are getting more frequent as the perpetrators know they can pretty much get away with it. Though, frankly, more than a small proportion of it is deserved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Bouncers generally love a good set-to.....it is in their DNA.....anyone with half a brain knows in order to avoid a good beating, you don't give them any kind excuse.

Having said that, what they did was criminal.

On the opposite side of the coin I used to have a couple mates in the Police Force.....North Yorkshire.....the highlight of their lives was Saturday night.....this was before CCTVs, smartphones and busy-bodies....555

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

And the cctv footage has proven that to be a lot of krap.

I just put what it said in the report at the time, haven't seen the CCTV footage so please put up the link.