Brutal assault on Canadian raises serious questions about tourist safety in Pattaya

webfact

19 hours ago, TOPDOG1 said:

I observed this typical Thai reaction. The anti-senior sentiment is widespread. I won't go there unarmed ever again. About weekly I encountered a potentially violent reaction from the Thai Nationals. Also; disrespect and rudeness is quite common. I suspect it has a lot to do with jealousy. The Thai females almost exclusively prefer older American and European men. Who can blame them?

What kind of "piece" are you normally packing ?  or do you prefer to carry a blade ?

The Thai females in Soi six are prostitutes, Whether they "prefer" American and  European men is neither here are there, but those nationalities form the majority of the potential customers in that particular Soi.   I doubt very much that there is ever any jealousy at all at the root of incidents like that

• Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 11:06 AM, ikke1959 said:

It is not the first time, but Pattaya will become the best family destination as we read yesterday.

Soi 6 is not where families should be going, but we can't beat up a city because it has areas where tourists should not go.

We can make the same case for popular tourist destinations the world over... For example, NYC is a popular family destination, but there are areas no tourists should visit. Paris has a red-light district, where families should not go. Istanbul is one of the most visited cities in the world but has dangerous neighbourhoods. 

These threads feed the anti-Pattaya trolls, but apart from a few areas which are a bit seedy, it can be a great place to live and visit. 

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Soi 6 is not where families should be going, but we can't beat up a city because it has areas where tourists should not go.

We can make the same case for popular tourist destinations the world over... For example, NYC is a popular family destination, but there are areas no tourists should visit. Paris has a red-light district, where families should not go. Istanbul is one of the most visited cities in the world but has dangerous neighbourhoods. 

You are right, only the problem is that whole Pattaya is known for their sex tourism, while the cites mentioned have only some areas... and never got the name as sex capital of the world

13 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

You are right, only the problem is that whole Pattaya is known for their sex tourism, while the cites mentioned have only some areas... and never got the name as sex capital of the world

I don't see it as a problem, but people getting beat up happens everywhere in areas where people party and get drunk. As both of these beatdowns were from "bouncers" it should be easy to solve.

Putting things into perspective, I've lived in Pattaya full-time for 20 years and I don't feel unsafe here. Maybe I've missed a few beatdowns in the news, but it's not a very frequent occurrence, and most I have read about were due to over-enthusiastic security staff.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I feel this latest incident will result in a city-wide cleanup of the security industry.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Hardly, looks like a single push after the falang pushed the Thai

...after the Thai pushed the victim three times, without any physical response.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:42 PM, BB1955 said:

I m sure there is more to this ... Doubt he deserved a beating..

There always is, 

Usually a chain of events in themselves that may be small but at some point one of them is the catalyzing event,

of course the first one is usually alcohol, wich impacts judgement and it's down hill from there.

On 8/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, Will B Good said:

Bouncers generally love a good set-to.....it is in their DNA.....anyone with half a brain knows in order to avoid a good beating, you don't give them any kind excuse.

Having said that, what they did was criminal.

Just calling them "Bouncers" adds to the image of beating up punters.

Reminds me of the UK in the 90s.

They need awareness course's and licensing, but that's very unlikely.

On 8/6/2024 at 2:24 PM, MalcolmB said:

Experience.

Never had a problem and have seen the Thais show a lot more restraint than security back in the UK.

Nonsense.

I have seen some very violent attacks on Soi Cowboy when I used to be a regular there. Much worse than anything I witnessed in the UK. Bouncers in the UK have changed since the 80’s and have to be much more restrained. 

• Agree 2

Every Bouncer in the UK has to show a pass on there clothes no pass no door work. They have to attend a course payed by themselves to obtain a pass. So I disagree with your statement regarding thai security. Like it or not Malcolm bouncers / Door security Staff in Thailand Commit assaults and are immune from arrests. How many have been out forward in front of a camera charged with beating Tourist's ?

• Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 3:32 PM, Ralf001 said:

So your post is like a "there was this one tiime in band camp" type of posts !

It appears that you are among the group who think it's ridiculous that a guy would get assaulted for leaning on a car. If that's the case, just say so. Say something of substance. I wrote about what I've witnessed and it leaves zero doubt in my mind that it's completely possibly that he may have been assaulted simply for leaning on a car. It wouldn't be surprising in the least. That doesn't mean that this is what happened. But the large number of posts from people seeming to think that nobody would ever assault someone for such a minor thing are oblivious to reality.
Your posting comments beating around the bush with weak attempts at insult are so dull, but I suppose are somehow appropriate for dullards.

21 minutes ago, Sig said:

It appears that you are among the group who think it's ridiculous that a guy would get assaulted for leaning on a car.

The car he was trying to steal ?

• Confused 3

23 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Just calling them "Bouncers" adds to the image of beating up punters.

Reminds me of the UK in the 90s.

They need awareness course's and licensing, but that's very unlikely.

There was a bar on Thappraya Road, which had been closed recently, but the security staff wore black T-shirts with "Bouncer" written on the back, which left no doubt why they were there.

If it's bouncers causing all the drama and image reduction, then surely it's an easy fix. Just round them all up, run them out of town and start security training courses for more civilized applicants.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Sig said:

wrote about what I've witnessed and it leaves zero doubt in my mind that it's completely possibly that he may have been assaulted simply for leaning on a car.

No. He was refusing to follow instructions and acting confrontational. Whether it was "stop leaning on that car" or "stop messing with that car" or "don't park here" or "leave this bar," whatever it is, the answer is always, OK, krub. I think the "victim" would now agree with this rule, like it or not, right or wrong. The bouncer initially made the point verbally then, evidently, with some gentler shoves. The farang refused to get the point and even shoved the bouncer. Big mistake.  

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 10:55 AM, Pattaya57 said:

It's all been very quiet about the soi 6 security thugs kicking brits in the head whilst on the ground a few months back. Seems these thugs still control soi 6, so good reason to avoid if all it takes to be sent to ICU is lean against a car 😞

All this chatter about Soi 6 - I had to take a look myself. I went on a barhop there for the first time in maybe 10 years. I had a fantastic time. The place has improved greatly as has the quality and selection of "staff". I highly recommend it. If there were any aggressive bouncers there, I didn't notice them. I will be back, soon!

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2024 at 4:23 AM, Ralf001 said:

The car he was trying to steal ?

Where on earth did that idea come from? Maybe you are on the wrong forum? This story has nothing to do with anyone who was thought of as trying to steal a vehicle, neither in the AN summary nor the Pattaya Mail original article.

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

No. He was refusing to follow instructions and acting confrontational. Whether it was "stop leaning on that car" or "stop messing with that car" or "don't park here" or "leave this bar," whatever it is, the answer is always, OK, krub. I think the "victim" would now agree with this rule, like it or not, right or wrong. The bouncer initially made the point verbally then, evidently, with some gentler shoves. The farang refused to get the point and even shoved the bouncer. Big mistake.  

Your comment bears no resemblance of having anything to do with my comment. Not sure why you've chosen to reply to me with a comment like this. You can't say "No." to what I have witnessed. You weren't there for those things. I was. I was making a correlation to why it is not difficult to imagine why this guy may have been assaulted simply for leaning on a car - in response to MANY people on here commenting that this sort of thing would never happen to someone for such a simple, seemingly harmless thing. That's wrong. It happens. I've repeated this to you now too many times. You don't seem to get it. I won't be replying anymore. It's a waste of time when you keep trying to make my statement into something that it wasn't.
I did not say what happened in the instance of this case in the article. I don't know the details and neither do you, unless you have some other source of information outside of the article being commented about. You can speculate as much as you like. No problem. Have at it.

My educated guess, from spending more time in the State of Alberta than I ever wished I had to, is that this Oil Patch Straw Boss forgot where he was. He figured he was still the big man back on the rigs using his oversize ego to bully about to the roustabouts. In short he messed around and found out.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, JensenZ said:

All this chatter about Soi 6 - I had to take a look myself. I went on a barhop there for the first time in maybe 10 years. I had a fantastic time. The place has improved greatly as has the quality and selection of "staff". I highly recommend it. If there were any aggressive bouncers there, I didn't notice them. I will be back, soon!

Night Wish employee?

1 hour ago, pegman said:

My educated guess, from spending more time in the State of Alberta than I ever wished I had to, is that this Oil Patch Straw Boss forgot where he was. He figured he was still the big man back on the rigs using his oversize ego to bully about to the roustabouts. In short he messed around and found out.

I'm told he was a manager for one of the major oil field service companies (retired).  Generally, those guys are very diplomatic and some of the best at conflict resolution because they have to deal every day with the Straw Bosses you refer to.  And not from a position of authority.  The saying goes "The customer may not always be right, but they're always the customer".  Even roustabouts and roughnecks.

Edit:  He may be an outlier, and maybe demon rum got him that night.  But having been both the company man and a vendor at different times, I'd be careful painting someone you don't know with a broad brush. 

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sig said:

I don't know the details and neither do you, unless you have some other source of information outside of the article being commented about. You can speculate as much as you like.

Sufficient details about this incident are shown in the video itself, which bears witness to what I said. YOU, on the other hand, made a contradictory speculation and then came up with claims about various unprovoked assaults w/o giving any links to such.

On 8/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, Will B Good said:

Bouncers generally love a good set-to.....it is in their DNA.....anyone with half a brain knows in order to avoid a good beating, you don't give them any kind excuse.

Having said that, what they did was criminal.

There is no way I ever go inside a place with in certain areas with large amounts of male staff. All those places with groups of male bouncers outside are advertising to me that theirs is not a place I want anything to do with.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Sufficient details about this incident are shown in the video itself, which bears witness to what I said. YOU, on the other hand, made a contradictory speculation and then came up with claims about various unprovoked assaults w/o giving any links to such.

Learn how to read English. I didn't speculate anything about the incident, at all. Stating that something is a possibility is not speculation on what actually happened. Your reading comprehension is very low. I guess maybe this is why you started off with your confused response to begin with.
Are you really so daft to think I'd supply links to things I clearly stated were personal experiences?
Done. The utter nonsense is mind-boggling.

Edited by Sig

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

There is no way I ever go inside a place with in certain areas with large amounts of male staff. All those places with groups of male bouncers outside are advertising to me that theirs is not a place I want anything to do with.

Yes...I do the same.....wandering around London.

Five big lads outside?.....No thanks.