Belgian Man Rescued from Locked Car After Fan Drains Battery

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Doors wouldn't open. If it's one of those new all electric things I doubt the hood would open. 

From the picture in the OP it is obvious it isn't one of those all electric things, it looks like an older car

• Confused 3

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

"Rescue officers repeatedly tried to instruct the man to press the unlock button, but their efforts proved futile without a functional electrical system."

No need I can read.

Maybe try read this

18 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I wonder what car that was. My car also has central lock, but there is still a manual unlock button on each door.

Also as someone else already mentioned, opening the hood and connecting bridge the battery would have sorted it, which I assume they did anyway later, otherwise how would he be able to continue his journey

This looks 100% like an older model car. No BMW EV's have mirrors like that or the chrome around the doors, so there it would have been possible to manually open the hood.

If not, @FritsSikkink tell us how he could start the car and continue his trip after smashing the window,

image.png.dba0201849b903f139eb961978692d4f.png

Edited by CallumWK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Where does it say it was an EV?

It didn't, and that is also what I posted, but is disputed by others.

2 hours ago, CallumWK said:

From the picture in the OP it is obvious it isn't one of those all electric things, it looks like an older car

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If it was an older car the door would open when pulling on the internal door handle. 

Have you ever owned a car? 

I think the man in the car was unresponsive, they had to gain access from outside.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

I think the man in the car was unresponsive, they had to gain access from outside.

According to the op the car doors were unresponsive, the Belgian was visibly distressed and weakened.

Of course it could mean he was unable to open the doors himself, not great reporting, especially the last sentence.

The rescue team swiftly arrived at the scene to find the car doors unresponsive due to an entirely drained battery. Inside, the 40-year-old Belgian tourist was visibly distressed and weakened. Rescue officers repeatedly tried to instruct the man to press the unlock button, but their efforts proved futile without a functional electrical system.

My wife's car had a similar problem, but there was no one in the car, I couldn't open the door, then I tried the passenger door, it opened no prob. I slid over and opened the bonnet to re-charge the battery.

4 hours ago, Toxane said:

Could have just opened the hood for them to bridge the battery. Problem solved in less than a minute without breaking s**t.

My thoughts exactly, a battery some extension leads and power is restored.

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

It didn't, and that is also what I posted, but is disputed by others.

Yes , it is an older BMW. Cable operated hood. Pull hood catch and charge battery from the charge port within engine bay. All BMW,s have them if  the battery is in trunk.

• Like 1