One Year Extension Headache

After 20 years of extensions, I've seen everything, and usually try to calm myself, gather all the paperwork, and hope for the best on that unpopular day.  I was the first in line this morning and saw only 5 others, so I was expecting a quick turnaround.  After sitting upstairs for 2 hours (only 5-10 people waiting), she called me over and returned my paper with a note listing 6 things in Thai.  I asked her what she wanted and she rudely said to get a lawyer or broker, She then mentioned that I moved to Bangkok without telling them.  I thought she confused me with someone else until I remembered I went to Bangkok for a medical appointment and stayed 8 hours in a hotel.  I explained it to her, and she said I invalidated my living arrangements in Samui.  Here is what she required:

Tabien Baan (home occupants)

TM30 (home ownership) 100 baht

DBD (corporate ownership) 1100 baht

Chanot Title (land title)

2 other things

Has anyone else gone through this?  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Hi PJ!  I wasn't aware we could go anywhere else unless we moved there.  I'm just trying to determine if they want to torture us into paying 30k baht for a broker who may or may not give us a legitimate stamp.

You may not like this reply but....

Have you (or the house owner) filled in a TM 30 lately - since the new system was made live a few years ago?

Now, many immigration departments are insisting on TM 30's. Samui is one of them.

The list that you describe looks like what is required to set the property up on the new system.

DBD details imply that a company owns the property? This document needs to be an updated one.

Once set up for online input, it only takes minutes every time that you come home from a stay away.

NB TM 30's have been around for donkey's years but few people bothered, but immigration now want them registered.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

You may not like this reply but....

Have you (or the house owner) filled in a TM 30 lately - since the new system was made live a few years ago?

Now, many immigration departments are insisting on TM 30's. Samui is one of them.

The list that you describe looks like what is required to set the property up on the new system.

DBD details imply that a company owns the property? This document needs to be an updated one.

Once set up for online input, it only takes minutes every time that you come home from a stay away.

NB TM 30's have been around for donkey's years but few people bothered, but immigration now want them registered.

Thanks Tropic!  No, I always value your advice.  So, each time I return from a trip in Thailand or overseas, do I need to advise them when I return?  Do you know the website?  Last year, I stayed in a hotel in Samui and SIO gave me all kinds of grief.  So, they're not out to get me and what they asked for is normal?  If so, I don't think many people are going to be happy.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Thanks Tropic!  No, I always value your advice.  So, each time I return from a trip in Thailand or overseas, do I need to advise them when I return?  Do you know the website?  Last year, I stayed in a hotel in Samui and SIO gave me all kinds of grief.  So, they're not out to get me and what they asked for is normal?  If so, I don't think many people are going to be happy.   

Yes, every time you stay away from home, you should register when you return.

Some folk say not true and in theory, you only need to do it if you have been registered somewhere else in Thailand. Hotel, hospital etc. But here on Samui they are pedantic.

I think that it is this one. If this does not work, send me a PM and I will ask the accounts girl.

Register online and then download the phone app for an easier solution.

Online TM 30 works as well. It just takes a little bit longer.

https://tm30.immigration.go.th/tm30api/loginExternal.jsp?value=EXT&id=33990f2fd7b4d09b5dcc2eb17f350644

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

Was it the 'large' lady by any chance? She is notorious for causing problems. She has made it quite clear to a couple of friends of mine recently that she is trying to steer them towards using an agent. They have dug their heels in though, bitten their tongue and provided everything she has asked for (not necessarily all at the same time). Eventually, their extensions have been granted.

I think that this is the local office here looking for extra cash.

Before my accountant did everything, I used to go to the office in Nathon, then in Maenam.

The 'top dog' would make me sit in his office for an hour whilst he processed other passports.

Agents would walk in with a handful of 15 - 20 passports. Cash in each one. At least 200 baht, maybe more. This was years ago.

I have heard that the large lady can be difficult.

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that this is the local office here looking for extra cash.

Before my accountant did everything, I used to go to the office in Nathon, then in Maenam.

The 'top dog' would make me sit in his office for an hour whilst he processed other passports.

Agents would walk in with a handful of 15 - 20 passports. Cash in each one. At least 200 baht, maybe more. This was years ago.

I have heard that the large lady can be difficult.

I thought that you would know who I was referring to if you happened across my post. Apparently, she has not even been subtle in recent times regarding 'greasing of the wheels'. Those who resist get sent away for another document, produce this, then sent away for another and so on. Some capitulate, some dig their heels in and play the game to their own end.

Some friends have looked into the possible use of agents but they seem to be considerably more expensive on Samui than those in say, Pattaya. A couple of the guys are now going the Pattaya route and making a little holiday out of it and still resulting in a financial net gain.

On a side note, I am aware of two instances where she has stated that it is not possible to convert a non O visa to a stay based on retirement at that immigration office (not without the help on an agent....)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keeps said:

Some friends have looked into the possible use of agents but they seem to be considerably more expensive on Samui

Unfortunately, Samui  immigration does have a bad reputation. When I first went there for a visa in 2000, a guy called Nok took me into his office (the stationery cupboard) and asked me for a bribe. I walked out.

My accountant now processes all of my visa work. It is tied in to my work permit and company accounts. I do not know if she does only visa's for people. She is not an agent. Just a well connected Samui lady.

Ingon Accurate Accounting near the temple at Fisherman's village.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ingon-Accurate-Accounting-Services/100076269217090/

The only agent that I know is Herbert, but that is going back a long time now. (20+ years)

https://hdvisa-thailand.com/

14 hours ago, PJ71 said:

It's coz of stupid things like this i go to Savanakhett once a year to renew non O, can't be bothered dealing with the immigration cretins and all their stupid requests.

I went through 20 years of doing the 1-year retirement O bit.  The only problem I ever experienced was my first either 90-day or yearly extension, just can't recall which but for an extension of the "O" anyway.  The first IO (Ban Suan Plu immigration, BKK) an older lady looked at my passport and said in Thai (oh no, you are over extended, you have to leave the country immediately and hope they don't fine you) and she explained that this time I had to leave the country and then turn right around and come back in.  She said that they could legally fine me right then but then went on to explain where I had made a mistake.  Fortunately maybe my speaking Thai with her but anyway I immediately went to Poipet, Cambodia, got my free lunch and then returned.  After that, I never had any problems with what was needed.  Some things have changed over the years, but this

forum has helped keep me appraised of those changes.  Actually to me, the yearly extension  in CM is really much easier today than it used to be but with all the other changes and possibly what is to come, I qualified for the LTR and will hope that carries me over the next 10 years anyway.

Best of luck to all here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Keeps said:

Was it the 'large' lady by any chance? She is notorious for causing problems. She has made it quite clear to a couple of friends of mine recently that she is trying to steer them towards using an agent. They have dug their heels in though, bitten their tongue and provided everything she has asked for (not necessarily all at the same time). Eventually, their extensions have been granted.

That's the one!  She seems to enjoy her power as she demeans expats.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

OP ....  why oh why don't you just go to Savanakhett and renew a non O once a year ... or get someone else to do it all stress free.

you stay in Samui but you can't afford a stress free process once a year and let someone help you.

some folks just want a difficult life ...:coffee1:

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

OP ....  why oh why don't you just go to Savanakhett and renew a non O once a year ... or get someone else to do it all stress free.

you stay in Samui but you can't afford a stress free process once a year and let someone help you.

some folks just want a difficult life ...:coffee1:

Can someone comment on whether this is allowed?  The first question would be why I was not applying in Samui since I lived there.  I remember years ago on thaivisa others commented that you can't apply for a one-year extension anywhere outside of your province.

4 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Can someone comment on whether this is allowed?  The first question would be why I was not applying in Samui since I lived there.  I remember years ago on thaivisa others commented that you can't apply for a one-year extension anywhere outside of your province.

you can get a multi entry visa from savannakhet 
not a 1 year extension
on the ME visa, you will need to leave and come back
but you can get max 17 months from the ME visa (entering last day visa is valid)
you get 3 months each entry (which can be extended for 60 days for 1900 baht  iirc)

Edited by patman30

35 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Unfortunately, Samui  immigration does have a bad reputation. When I first went there for a visa in 2000, a guy called Nok took me into his office (the stationery cupboard) and asked me for a bribe. I walked out.

My accountant now processes all of my visa work. It is tied in to my work permit and company accounts. I do not know if she does only visa's for people. She is not an agent. Just a well connected Samui lady.

Ingon Accurate Accounting near the temple at Fisherman's village.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ingon-Accurate-Accounting-Services/100076269217090/

The only agent that I know is Herbert, but that is going back a long time now. (20+ years)

https://hdvisa-thailand.com/

Thanks, I'll follow up on this.  I've lived here for twenty years, with a house in my name for 17, but I need to notify them if I get a hotel room.  Sounds normal to me.  Yes, I remember Nok, and heard he paid 10M baht for that job.  I'm sure he cleared that in a month.  The fat one extorted me 5 years ago by making me wait until they closed (sat for 8 hours) and then asked for 5k or my passport might get lost.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

You can do a visa extension anywhere you want. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

How can you live in Samui that long, to not even have a contact or exact details / solutions, it seems many of you oldies really live under stones. Sorry but can't really make it better in words lol, figure it out, pay a bit of money, get it done.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I asked her what she wanted and she rudely said to get a lawyer or broker

I had exactly the same experience as you in Korat this year.
I was told by the checkpoint of the documents for an extension to go to a Visa agency.
Strange enough, a few years before, I got my extension in 5 minutes at the same office (different officers).
TIT

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Some folk say not true and in theory, you only need to do it if you have been registered somewhere else in Thailand. Hotel, hospital etc. But here on Samui they are pedantic.

I think that it is this one. If this does not work, send me a PM and I will ask the accounts girl.

https://tm30.immigration.go.th/tm30api/loginExternal.jsp?value=EXT&id=33990f2fd7b4d09b5dcc2eb17f350644

I have a feeling that the TM30 rule only applies if you go out of the province that you are registered in. However each Immigration office seem to follow the national guidelines, BUT each IO can ask for additional information from the applicant.

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Forgive me Tropical, but am I mistaken that a couple of years ago they relaxed the tm28 & tm 30 rules that you only needed to re-do it if you had been abroad? I was under the impression that if, for instance, you went to Bangkok for a week, then returned to the same address you were covered?

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Forgive me Tropical, but am I mistaken that a couple of years ago they relaxed the tm28 & tm 30 rules that you only needed to re-do it if you had been abroad? I was under the impression that if, for instance, you went to Bangkok for a week, then returned to the same address you were covered?

I think that one is just someone's interpretation. It all comes down to the individual immigration office.

My own understanding is the same as billd below, some guests have found otherwise.

I found it safer to always do one when I get home.

41 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have a feeling that the TM30 rule only applies if you go out of the province that you are registered in. However each Immigration office seem to follow the national guidelines, BUT each IO can ask for additional information from the applicant.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1