One Year Extension Headache

21 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

After 20 years of extensions, I've seen everything, and usually try to calm myself, gather all the paperwork, and hope for the best on that unpopular day.  I was the first in line this morning and saw only 5 others, so I was expecting a quick turnaround.  After sitting upstairs for 2 hours (only 5-10 people waiting), she called me over and returned my paper with a note listing 6 things in Thai.  I asked her what she wanted and she rudely said to get a lawyer or broker, She then mentioned that I moved to Bangkok without telling them.  I thought she confused me with someone else until I remembered I went to Bangkok for a medical appointment and stayed 8 hours in a hotel.  I explained it to her, and she said I invalidated my living arrangements in Samui.  Here is what she required:

Tabien Baan (home occupants)

TM30 (home ownership) 100 baht

DBD (corporate ownership) 1100 baht

Chanot Title (land title)

2 other things

Has anyone else gone through this?  

Yes, missing TM30 is a well known issue, if you are not aware of the importance of it – I've also tried to be rejected once, when been outside Surat Thani Province.

If you stay outside the Surat Thani province, you need to submit a new TM30-form, which is a notification of a foreigner staying at an address (appartement, hotel, house, etc.). Samui Immigration is little special and strict with this, while immigrations in other provinces accept stay outside the province and even travelling abroad with a re-enter permit.

You need your landlord or owner of the property where you stay, to fill a TM30-form each time you have been registered outside Surat Thani Province or have left the country. It is the duty of the host. If you rent an appartement or a house, or own you home, you might yourself be the host and responsible to TM30 notifications of foreigners staying at the address. TM30 can be submitted electronically HERE, where you also can register as host.

To register as host you need to upload some documents, depending of you are the owner and is registered in a house book, or you are a renter and therefore need copies your landlord's house book and ID-card etc.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

After 20 years of extensions, I've seen everything, and usually try to calm myself, gather all the paperwork, and hope for the best on that unpopular day.  I was the first in line this morning and saw only 5 others, so I was expecting a quick turnaround.  After sitting upstairs for 2 hours (only 5-10 people waiting), she called me over and returned my paper with a note listing 6 things in Thai.  I asked her what she wanted and she rudely said to get a lawyer or broker, She then mentioned that I moved to Bangkok without telling them.  I thought she confused me with someone else until I remembered I went to Bangkok for a medical appointment and stayed 8 hours in a hotel.  I explained it to her, and she said I invalidated my living arrangements in Samui.  Here is what she required:

Tabien Baan (home occupants)

TM30 (home ownership) 100 baht

DBD (corporate ownership) 1100 baht

Chanot Title (land title)

2 other things

Has anyone else gone through this?  

Simply the strategy that is used to get applicants to use Agents to obtain retirement extensions.

Strategy originating from immigration officers being told some years ago to no longer take money in brown envelopes to obtain services. Or else...

If one wants to do the footwork on his or her own, at the regular low price, be prepared for this strategy, that requires patience, more time, and more work, just to obtain a simple service.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Andre0720 said:

Simply the strategy that is used to get applicants to use Agents to obtain retirement extensions.

Strategy originating from immigration officers being told some years ago to no longer take money in brown envelopes to obtain services. Or else...

If one wants to do the footwork on his or her own, at the regular low price, be prepared for this strategy, that requires patience, more time, and more work, just to obtain a simple service.

You nailed it just as I suspected.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not everywhere. 

I can only talk about my area Khon Kaen 'cause I have never been to another immigration office. But they are a pleasure to work with them. If there is a problem they work with you to solve it.  I can't say enough good things about them. 

Kamphaeng Phet Immigration office is the same.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Kamphaeng Phet Immigration office is the same.

Khon Kaen and Khampaeng Phet, like my local office in Chiang Rai are probably more patient with Farangs - we are less common. I have certainly observed Chiang Rai being less shall I say helpful to Chinese "customers" who make up the bulk of their clientele, and some (many) of whom are notorious for trying to "buck the system"!

Maybe, and this is just a guess, Samui have in a similar way reached their "patience limit"?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:05 AM, parallaxtech said:

Someone who is not a newbie can correct this if it's wrong.  You can't apply for a one-year extension outside of the province where you reside:

You can submit the TM7 form, which is used for extending your stay in Thailand, at the local immigration office where you are requesting the extension. For example, if you are in Bangkok, you would go to the Bangkok Immigration Office. If you are in a different province, you would go to the respective immigration office for that area12.

You can apply in a different Province only if you have done a TM30 in that Province, that indicates you are living there.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, UWEB said:

You can apply in a different Province only if you have done a TM30 in that Province, that indicates you are living there.

We sometimes have guests staying who need to do a visa extension whilst they are on holiday or long term guests.

We give them a print out of the TM 30 report and 'job done'. Extension given.

• Agree 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:46 AM, khunPer said:

Yes, missing TM30 is a well known issue, if you are not aware of the importance of it – I've also tried to be rejected once, when been outside Surat Thani Province.

If you stay outside the Surat Thani province, you need to submit a new TM30-form, which is a notification of a foreigner staying at an address (appartement, hotel, house, etc.). Samui Immigration is little special and strict with this, while immigrations in other provinces accept stay outside the province and even travelling abroad with a re-enter permit.

You need your landlord or owner of the property where you stay, to fill a TM30-form each time you have been registered outside Surat Thani Province or have left the country. It is the duty of the host. If you rent an appartement or a house, or own you home, you might yourself be the host and responsible to TM30 notifications of foreigners staying at the address. TM30 can be submitted electronically HERE, where you also can register as host.

To register as host you need to upload some documents, depending of you are the owner and is registered in a house book, or you are a renter and therefore need copies your landlord's house book and ID-card etc.

KP!  Thanks for the info and the TM30 link.  It seems that the TM30 is for the owner of a residence allowing foreigners to stay at his place.  That will never be my case.  I'm the owner.   If I visit a hotel in Thailand, the hotel reports the TM 30, correct, or both of us submit it?

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

As the owner, you do the TM 30 when you get home.

The hotel, AirBnb, hospital wherever will do the TM 30 for your temporary address.

Hi Tropic! Thanks for the information!  I registered online for the TM30, but it keeps asking for the address where foreigners will be staying.  I don't rent out my house or have guests so am reluctant to put my address down.  Is there somewhere on the site where I tell them I returned home or must I fill out the entire TM30 form each time I stay in a hotel?  What about people who go back and forth to Bangkok weekly?

9 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Hi Tropic! Thanks for the information!  I registered online for the TM30, but it keeps asking for the address where foreigners will be staying.  I don't rent out my house or have guests so am reluctant to put my address down.  Is there somewhere on the site where I tell them I returned home or must I fill out the entire TM30 form each time I stay in a hotel?  What about people who go back and forth to Bangkok weekly?

You are the foreigner staying there and yes, it is your address that they want.

The TM 30 tells immigration where every foreigner is at one point in time. (In theory),

Yes, fill in the TM 30 every time. Easy on the phone app apparently.

This last sentence varies by the different immigration offices around Thailand or even individual officers.

However, in our experience, Samui are quite adamant on this one.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 9:42 AM, BakedPanda said:

You can do a visa extension anywhere you want. 

You shouldn't be posting such misleading information.

Not all extensions are treated in the same way. You cannot even do a 12 month marriage extension in the same province as you live if there is more than one office, you must use the office for your area.

I knew someone that got sent from one office to the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

How I do things on marriage visa.

Arrive by plane.

Do a 60 day extension. Register tm30.

no hotels during that time.

Do a 1 year extension.

than go crazy staying in hotels. never report anything.

no 90 day reports ever.

fly out.

repeat. no penalties ever.

17 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

You are the foreigner staying there and yes, it is your address that they want.

The TM 30 tells immigration where every foreigner is at one point in time. (In theory),

Yes, fill in the TM 30 every time. Easy on the phone app apparently.

This last sentence varies by the different immigration offices around Thailand or even individual officers.

However, in our experience, Samui are quite adamant on this one.

I guess ankle monitors or GPS chips are next.  Does anyone know any country in the world that requires this?

• Agree 1

To add more confusion on the subject of the TM30, according to the law firm konradlegal.com, the hotel or rental place must submit the TM30 and as long as your TM30 shows you're within your allowance (mine is 365 days), you don't need to resubmit a TM30:

TM 30 Registration for Short Time Stays

You might be asking if you need to record your residency every time you go away for a few days and come back. This is dependent on whether you return within the stay term set on the most recent TM30 you submitted.

You do not need to submit a new TM30 if you return within the time frame stated on the form. You must submit a new form if you return beyond the time frame specified on the TM30.

If, for example, your most recent TM30 indicates that you will be staying in your home property for another three months, you will not need to report when you return home.

If you live in a rented residence, the same regulation applies to your landlord.

In this case, your friend, like a hotel, still he/she must disclose your stay. This is because your most recent place of residence needs registration in the immigration database. This database is under Section 37 (2) of the Thailand Immigration Act of 1979.

It’s a different matter if people truly follow this guideline, and let’s face it, most people don’t.

Remember that if you stay in a hotel or guest home, you won’t have to bother about reporting because they will take care of it for you.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

To add more confusion on the subject of the TM30, according to the law firm konradlegal.com, the hotel or rental place must submit the TM30 and as long as your TM30 shows you're within your allowance (mine is 365 days), you don't need to resubmit a TM30:

As I said earlier. That is the theory.

Unfortunately, the legal brethren do not give visa extensions on Koh Samui.

Reading all of the blurb here on AN, and there is a lot, it varies by location and can even vary by individual immigration officer.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

As I said earlier. That is the theory.

Unfortunately, the legal brethren do not give visa extensions on Koh Samui.

Reading all of the blurb here on AN, and there is a lot, it varies by location and can even vary by individual immigration officer.

That makes sense.  There's Thai law and then there's Samui law. I guess I'll just stay in Samui and avoid this mess.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2024 at 10:40 PM, billd766 said:

IMHO it always depends on where the immigration office is and what the staff are like.

My nearest office is Kamphaeng Phet some 70 km away, and the staff are farang friendly. No agents work through the office.

I renewed my marriage extension on Thursday last week and I forgot the bank letter. He asked me to go back and get it and he did my paperwork whilst I was at the bank. They rang my wife on Monday asking if a house visit was OK for Tuesday and 2 guy from Immigration turned up, asked a few questions of my wife and the 2 witnesses, took some photos and went on their way.

The second visit in 6 years.

No problems and no hassles.

For the poster who left a confused emoji.

Please tell me why you are confused and I will try to explain it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Look on the bright side, you could be married to her.....

There's a good reason she's never been fired.  It would be difficult to find a jai dee woman who must antagonize foreigners daily as a job description.  SIO has some lovely women who wouldn't dare take that job.  I witnessed her screaming in Thai at a Russian couple with babies who didn't understand a word.  She then yelled at them in English to go back to Bangkok.  He finally said in broken English that they had just arrived from Bangkok.  I would love to meet any foreigner who would marry her.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

KP!  Thanks for the info and the TM30 link.  It seems that the TM30 is for the owner of a residence allowing foreigners to stay at his place.  That will never be my case.  I'm the owner.   If I visit a hotel in Thailand, the hotel reports the TM 30, correct, or both of us submit it?

As @Tropicalevo says...👍

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

Friend of mine was recently quoted 12k for a retirement extension and has all the necessary financials in place himself. He declined and did it himself. 

It was 30K (if no money in the bank) many years ago.  What scares me is an old friend (85) didn't know any better and paid 60k, received a fake stamp, and was arrested and put in Samui Detention where they asked him for 80k to be released which he refused.  He stayed over the weekend and saw the judge on Monday and had to pay 600 baht.  

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Your residence will be that hotel so you must do another one going home..

Easy fix, let your wife/gf register in the hotel, never mention you're Danish 

It got nothing to do with me, I'm replying to another forum-member's question...:whistling: