At your age: Do you still take life seriously?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Hobbies are not a problem. This forum is a hobby. I have more to do than I have time to do, and I should stop being on here and do them, but as close to death as I am it's all rather pointless. Everything I do now will just end up in landfill.

I used to be an outdoors person, so being inside is quite boring and I need to fill my life with activity- this forum is excellent as a time filler. I can't do much outside anymore, as the body isn't able to do it any more. Eg, I tripped the other day and destroyed my shoulder, which means I can never do heavy lifting ever again. Apparently quite common in people my age.

Being on social media too much takes you away from real life. There are many things to do outside that don't require lifting. Gardening, going to the beach and watching the waves, seagulls and people. The movies, the gym to do anything physical, which helps the mood. Fishing. I get bored here in the country because there's not much to do here. That's why I'm planning to go back to the US, where I can do all my hobbies and travel. Being outside allows you to find others like yourself you can relate with, instead of hearing us complain here.

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Only serious if it is serious in the eye of the beholder, naturally.

Personally, I think it's fairly serious, but, still, not TOO serious for TV.

What is YOUR opinion?

What is TV?

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

God doesn't like people to off themselves because life is precious, no matter how short or long.

Two responses. God is not human and has no human emotions.

Nature is composed of millions of species that do nothing but kill to survive ( you may need a microscope to see many of them, or look in the dirt ), and IMO God cares no more for humans than bacteria. All life came from God and returns to God. How long we live is irrelevant to a being that exists forever. Nature destroys entire solar systems in black holes, with all the life that is on the planets.

Some cultures accept suicide and their God is the same as our God. However I definitely pass on seppuku as an exit method.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Your past loss with the women shouldn't keep you in this frame of thought. Let it, and them go. There are many women who, especially the ones close to our age, would like to have a decent man to grow old with. Besides human company, which is a major reason we are here, there are hobbies you can take up at most any age, along with again, finding someone to share them with. I have so many places I'd like to visit, yet won't because most of my time has been raising kids. I still have a young one, but I'm still going to go to some of those places.

Life is all about living. We were put here for a reason. Something some don't believe because they either hate God or think he doesn't exist because we have no proof besides looking at the wonders he's made and knowing it could only happen from design, from a creator. God doesn't like people to off themselves because life is precious, no matter how short or long. This is temporary, after is forever, and what we do here decides what happens next. If you off yourself, you'll still be meeting God, and then you'd have to explain why. Then he will tell you what you could have done to be happier. Of course there are those who never experience happiness and only pain, but again, this is temporary and nothing compared to forever. If you can walk,talk,see ,eat and feel, there are many things you can still do.

Totally agree with this, I am 77, plan on being here a while longer, have two daughters one 54 and one 20, both are super intelligent (by tests anyway) and they both amaze me.  My life has been one of many blessings so to speak, a couple of sad times as we all must face those if we live for any length of time and grow up in and have our own families.  I have lived and worked in many countries around the world, been able to speak  many languages, been to war (ugly but educational), and still loving life.  I kept a log in all those countries in which I lived, and chose to retire in this country and would still do so.  No place is an Eden today, but right now anyway Thailand is still a paradise to me.  Best of luck to all! Have a good weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Being on social media too much takes you away from real life. There are many things to do outside that don't require lifting. Gardening, going to the beach and watching the waves, seagulls and people. The movies, the gym to do anything physical, which helps the mood. Fishing. I get bored here in the country because there's not much to do here. That's why I'm planning to go back to the US, where I can do all my hobbies and travel. Being outside allows you to find others like yourself you can relate with, instead of hearing us complain here.

I think you missed my point. I'm perfectly happy doing what I am doing inside as it stops me thinking about my life. If I sat on the beach looking at seagulls it wouldn't be long before I'd start thinking about how my life sucks. Movies on DVD and this forum are excellent for taking my mind off my circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

No place is an Eden today, but right now anyway Thailand is still a paradise to me.

Thailand was always paradise for me. I loved almost everything about it.

Enjoy every day there, as you don't know what the future holds. I always thought I'd die there, but I was not so fortunate.

Consider yourself fortunate among men that you still live there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Two responses. God is not human and has no human emotions.

Nature is composed of millions of species that do nothing but kill to survive ( you may need a microscope to see many of them, or look in the dirt ), and IMO God cares no more for humans than bacteria. All life came from God and returns to God. How long we live is irrelevant to a being that exists forever. Nature destroys entire solar systems in black holes, with all the life that is on the planets.

Some cultures accept suicide and their God is the same as our God. However I definitely pass on seppuku as an exit method.

God created us so he knows exactly what we feel. I myself ask why some can enjoy life here and some can't. There are many things here that people love to do. Will we have them when we go to heaven? I'm sure if he can create all of this from his mind, he can have a heaven which has most of it without the pain, wars, arguing and petty nonsense we all go through. All life has meaning to God, and we are the ones who have souls and are of higher intelligence than any others, so we are the priority and why things happen, some bad and some good. Bad can teach even though it hurts us now. There are things here that we can live without, but they are here for his reasons, and I'll find out why when we talk. We have no proof there is life anywhere else besides here, so anything that happens out in the universe might not affect any others. There are tings people like if they reach an older age. That's the things you prioritize on.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Enjoy every day there, as you don't know what the future holds. I always thought I'd die there, but I was not so fortunate.

As I mentioned, that I do feel fortunate sorry your stay was cut short.   But since TIT, and the changes I have witnessed personally from the early 1970's , who knows what the new year might bring.  Good luck.

Just now, jaywalker2 said:

I didn't take this post seriously. So how about that?

Sometimes on this forum that is a must.  other times it all depends on the individual.  fortunately we can just turn it off or skip on by to the next comment.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you missed my point. I'm perfectly happy doing what I am doing inside as it stops me thinking about my life. If I sat on the beach looking at seagulls it wouldn't be long before I'd start thinking about how my life sucks. Movies on DVD and this forum are excellent for taking my mind off my circumstances.

Why does your life suck? We all have had problems, and some major. Getting past them is what makes us strong. I'm sure you've had some good times in your life and did things you enjoyed. You're still here, and can still do those things, and more. If you knew all the crapola I've gone through with women and trying to have my children have a stable home, you would sh*t. I never will give up because then the devil and BS wins. I'm only in Thailand until I can re establish my daughter and I back home, otherwise I'm here bored most of the time. Dreams and goals can still be met if you're still alive. I want to catch a big Marlin, shoot a record book buck, catch a huge Bass and Musky, hunt and fish around the states, see Europe, Vietnam, Malaysia and Canada again. There things to enjoy here.

• Love It 1

43 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

I would like to fly first class once in my live.

Well twice, gotta get back as well.

So the answer is 42

Don't do it, you'll never fly again.

Worked for an airlines, and usually only flew 1st Class.  Talk about being spoiled and turned into a snob.

I dread flying in the back of the bus now, and one of main reasons I don't travel international any more.  That an the silly 3 hr check time.   Nothing to see or do worth that silliness.

Economy, even what they call business class now, is just too degrading :cheesy:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bubblegum said:

So the answer is 42

Life ?

Probably better off doing it as possible 

You will probably go by heart attack 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Life ?

Probably better off doing it as possible 

You will probably go by heart attack 

I sick of your posts like you know me. You know nothing about me, never met so backup will ya !

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do you attack Dylan? He gave millions pleasure with his music, including myself. You are in the wrong here.

I am not attacking Dylan, although I might have been disparaging the Nobel Committee, and it's prize, or rather the changing criteria for the prize, or the fact that the prize in literature may have become less meaningful.

No way Dylan can compare to serious poets, or to authors like Phillip Roth, who was passed over for the prize.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A rather unpleasant movie in which Hopkins turns out to be a right bas***d.

A fitting example of humanity as it really is.

Yes, an pleasant movie, compared to....

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

a.  At your age, do you still take life seriously?  

Really?

Give me a break!

Or…Do you really?

b.  In this day and age, do we really still take the Nobel seriously?

Really?

Give me a break!

image.png.1f190ea9a3f8bc86f7ae72efe2c572e9.png

c.  Maybe Dylan actually did deserve the Nobel, as watered down as it seems to have become, in these modern times.

He wrote this, for example:

d.  So, do you still take life seriously, now that most of your life is already behind you, and now that all that you see ahead is what it is?

If you were to try to tell someone, less than half your age, why they should take life seriously, then could you?

e.  AND, are you a phony like Zimmerman? Or, are you now able to see through him, as no Nobel Committee ever did?

Strange, is it not, how time passes….?

So the question is, in this twilight of your years, is there really anything that you take seriously, besides Catch-22?

image.png.11cf366d099907dddc4dd7e859a32e8b.png

Catch-22 always catches up with one, around this time in life…don’t you think?

No.

We don’t take life seriously,

And why should we now?

At least, most of us do not, but do you?

Best regards,

And wishing you great “Remains of the Day”….

Gamma

Note:  Some day, I will find my perfect washing machine, just as Hemingway never found his perfect paragraph, before it’s too late.  And, then…who knows….

Note2:  And…What about you?

And, just by the way:

Note 66:  Do you intend to continue flying missions?

image.png.bc0df2e630473f2159e3244bc4b059db.png

Final Note:  Obviously, when we die, the question always begs and niggles us.... Will We go FURTHUR?

image.png.6edffd41836fc426ffe0a72f05a9ab61.png

image.png.a2ac648df31dba844ada0f106f077498.png

Or, will our bus, inevitably reach.... The End Of The Road....

image.png.312f06ffb026cadca3ff87f08813a9ae.png

image.png.f615cdeab41987d388c8b3cffa6efbad.png

Sounds like a steal from "Oblomov" by Ivan Goncharov. Mix in other themes so the plagiarism is not obvious.

6 hours ago, bubblegum said:

So the answer is 42

I've done it twice, on someone else's dime. Lots of them.

Basically, you are at the front of the aircraft, with lounge- like seating that can morph into a bed. Once airborne, the cabin staff try to stuff you full of food and booze, while hoping you don't become a nuisance or start puking.

The catering is really good, although it is designed to make you think you got your money's worth.

7 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yep at your age you have no time to waste 

Another 10 to go you think ?

OMG, you gotta be sh*tting me. Coming from the geezer who couldn't get laid in Pattaya with a fist full of fifties. Buwahahahaha.

The last thing the crazed mop-pusher, who cruises for gay hookups at midnight in the Manila underground, wants to be doing is to try and troll anyone. Lol. 

Your way deep in over your head mop-man. Go back to sniffing toxic floor cleaning chemicals and call me when your next 12 hour dirty floor cleaning shift is over.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sounds like a steal from "Oblomov" by Ivan Goncharov. Mix in other themes so the plagiarism is not obvious.

You mean End of the Road, Barth?

4 minutes ago, FriscoKid said:

OMG, you gotta be sh*tting me. Coming from the geezer who couldn't get laid in Pattaya with a fist full of fifties. Buwahahahaha.

The last thing the crazed mop-pusher, who cruises for gay hookups at midnight in the Manila underground, wants to be doing is to try and troll anyone. Lol. 

Your way deep in over your head mop-man. Go back to sniffing toxic floor cleaning chemicals and call me when your next 12 hour dirty floor cleaning shift is over.  

That was me that put the smiley on your comment if your wondering 

I put it there laughing at you for taking the 15 minutes out of your day to acknowledge me 

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is ok but not that great. Still it depends on city. A lot of spots have lost their charm.