Ex-Boxer Arrested by Police for Promoting Online Gambling

1680610160799.png

A famous retired boxer was arrested by the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) for promoting online gambling sites. Thawon (last name withheld), was apprehended yesterday, August 8, and confessed to getting 2,500 baht for each promotional post.

Working alongside the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD), the CIB took action against Thawon, who jointly announced, advertised, or enticed others to gamble online without authorization.

Thawon's Facebook page, which has over 330,000 followers, was found to have posts featuring boxing match schedules and links to online gambling sites. This move was perceived as encouraging the public to participate in illegal gambling.

Preliminary inquiries showed that Thawon owned the Facebook page and that he was paid 2,500 baht for each post by the owners of the online gambling sites. During questioning by TCSD officers, Thawon acknowledged his involvement in the operation.

He stated, “I'm the owner of the Facebook page in question, and the online gambling site owners paid me to place ads on my page. They compensated me with 2,500 baht per post.”

After Thawon's admission, TCSD officers will collect more evidence to file charges and commence legal proceedings against him and the owners of the online gambling sites.

This arrest comes as part of a broader effort by the CCIB to curb the growing trend of illegal online gambling activities. The negative societal impact of these activities, particularly on impressionable young people, is a prime concern.

CCIB officers will continue to keep an eye on social media platforms for evidence of illegal activities. Strict punishments await individuals found guilty under law. The public is strongly advised against participating in or promoting online gambling to avoid legal consequences and to help maintain a safe online space.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-09

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1