Today at 7/11.....

Here, it's all about the way it's said....

If you said "You forgot this" it might offend....If you said - did you forget this? It probably would have ended with a smile & a giggle.....

Usually, one of the two at the registers is a day/night lead or manager & the clerk handling your transaction felt exposed....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Here, it's all about the way it's said....

If you said "You forgot this" it might offend....If you said - did you forget this? It probably would have ended with a smile & a giggle.....

Usually, one of the two at the registers is a day/night lead or manager & the clerk handling your transaction felt exposed....

IIRC I pointed to the burger and said " Leum Ni Mai?"

She then looked at the sales slip still in her hand with my change, and realized it was missing. Rang it up, and generated another sales slip, adjusted my change.

Perhaps I was wrong pointing at the burger, I don't know. She did not look confused by my Thai. Or maybe she needed a "Kor tawt krap" as well.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

You are not the only one.

I gave up years ago.

it is an exercise in futility. they are in a world all of their own!

bob.

I politely avoid all unnecessary interaction with locals who are not family or friends unless an error to my disadvantage has to be politely rectified.  

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

You are not the only one.

I gave up years ago.

it is an exercise in futility. they are in a world all of their own!

bob.

I politely avoid all unnecessary interaction with locals who are not family or friends unless an error to my disadvantage has to be politely rectified.  

17 hours ago, impulse said:

Is the 7/11 tech that good that they can tell there's a burger missing between inventory cycles?

I can see how she'd get docked if the cash in the till didn't match the receipts issued, but I'm not sure they'd dock her if there was a burger missing.  It would probably be days or weeks before they reconcile the inventory.  By then, they wouldn't know which shift to dock, much less which girl.

Or do they have RFID tags hidden on all the items?

i think you are correct--it  just wasn't a big deal--of course, they have cameras all over and especially the safe and camera area, but who really monitors those--even if they pay a service, so many 7's and so many cameras, and i am sure some of the teenager brains understand that--i have been in 7 when they need bills for change---am assuming it is the "shift manager" (often not much older than the rest of the staff) opens a locked drawer or a small safe in the floor, and pulls out wads of 20's, 100's, or coins--who tracks this cash exchange?  Of course, impossible.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

True. Perhaps I am too old, and come from an age where good manners were expected.

I believe that good manners are typical of the vast majority of Thai I interact with, but like so many who visit here or expats that live here, you expect things to be as they were when you were young or like where you came from--and the reality is, if you were back in the US, or Uk or anywhere, my guess is that a disinterested teenager in a 7-11 could well behave exactly the same.

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Are all the products not Tagged? if you were to walk out with something that has not been scanned might set an alarm off, It does in Tops bye the way, 

Overall not tagged at 7, and i have shopped at Tops, various branches, and never noticed anything tagged--which would have to either be removed or scanned to "unalert"--maybe i have just missed it--now, at Big C, items have been "tagged" which then are "untagged" at the cashier.

7 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

Overall not tagged at 7, and i have shopped at Tops, various branches, and never noticed anything tagged--which would have to either be removed or scanned to "unalert"--maybe i have just missed it--now, at Big C, items have been "tagged" which then are "untagged" at the cashier.

Maybe tagged was the wrong wording, then it must be something to do with the bar code, they cannot sell you a beer as it wont go through the till, there was a farang here in Phuket who walked out of a Tops with a packet of razor blades that he had not paid for, they knew about it because they slapped his photo on the front of the shop and on the door, I knew him he live a couple of soi's down from me, what happened after that I dont know, 

12 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

I am fascinated by how you managed to edit your first post on this thread, which was quite offensive. Did you remove the material yourself, or did a moderator do it for you?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What service do you need in 7-11. You go in, ding dong, wander around, pick what you want and take it to the checkout. The only service you may need is for your thing to be put in the 'wave for 30 seconds, a toastie takes a minute, and you pay. That's it. Serviced. Whether with a smile is another thing. Ding ding as you exit.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably just humouring you

Maybe but it is nicer

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What service do you need in 7-11. You go in, ding dong, wander around, pick what you want and take it to the checkout. The only service you may need is for your thing to be put in the 'wave for 30 seconds, a toastie takes a minute, and you pay. That's it. Serviced. Whether with a smile is another thing. Ding ding as you exit.

Exactly so do you need the workers there to bow and scrape to you? You are just in many customers. This whole thread is, it would appear, to be made on arrogance that they are superior and the 7-11 staff should bow to them. You are just another customer. The employees are probably on minimum wage.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Exactly so do you need the workers there to bow and scrape to you? You are just in many customers. This whole thread is, it would appear, to be made on arrogance that they are superior and the 7-11 staff should bow to them. You are just another customer. The employees are probably on minimum wage.

You've misinterpreted my post Mr Photoguy. I was questioning the one who wanted better service. I am quite happy with 7-11 the way it is. I need no more.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You've misinterpreted my post Mr Photoguy. I was questioning the one who wanted better service. I am quite happy with 7-11 the way it is. I need no more.

My apologies for mis-reading your post. It was aimed at the OP

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Please tell me where in my OP I said I expect 7/11 workers to bow and scrape to me.

I corrected a mistake. I said a simple thank you or smile would have sufficed.

Your post appears to be arrogant in itself, perhaps you are into the holier-than-thou shtick.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2024 at 1:28 PM, Lacessit said:

I went to 7/11 today from the village to pick up lunch. OK, I slum it occasionally.

I bought about half a dozen items, took them to the cash register. The young girl behind the counter put the double pork burger and cheese aside to be microwaved.

She scanned the items, and gave me my change. I pointed out she had not scanned the burger, or charged me for it.

It was if I had offended her, or caused her to lose face. No smile, no thank you after I had rectified an error which might have got her pay docked at the end of the day.

I still fail sometimes to understand Thai people.

Buying lunch at 7/11 ? Brave man

• Sad 1

I went to 7/11 today from the village to pick up lunch. OK, I slum it occasionally.

I bought about half a dozen items, took them to the cash register. The young girl behind the counter put the double pork burger and cheese aside to be microwaved.

She scanned the items, and gave me my change. I pointed out she had not scanned the burger, or charged me for it.

It was if I had offended her, or caused her to lose face. No smile, no thank you after I had rectified an error which might have got her pay docked at the end of the day.

Saw on a you tube clip of a Korean businessman who had lost his job - he was talking about the problems in Korea today and said nothing is worse for an ASIAN than shame.  They refuse to accept any fault with their situation even though they may be educated but to admit that shame is beyond their self-awareness).  Having lived in many Asian countries, I have experienced that same attitude from just about all that I have met.

It's shame and they can't handle it, simple as that.
Is in their culture.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Usually the pork burger and a Caesar salad. I've been doing it for ten years, they haven't poisoned me yet.

Yes, I like the pork/bacon/cheese burger, but always ask for longer waving than the normal 30 seconds, just to be sure it is hot all the way through. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

After the replies you have received, have you considered that you might be wrong?

After the replies I have received, I consider there are too many trolls on ASEAN.

SammyJ is the poster I was responding to. Either he or a mod removed the offensive portion of the post, and he's been quiet since. 

What interests me is the fact the edit was made well outside the time window allowed for edits.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2024 at 1:31 PM, susanlea said:

Say nothing next time. Just pay the bill. 7/11 is a big business. 40 baht who cares.

The cashier cares when 40 Bht gets taken from her pittence that they call wages...

• Sad 1