Temu's Entry Rattles Thai SMEs; Govt Races to Protect Local Businesses

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

When an entire country is built on corruption and greed, you shouldn't be too surprised when the Chinese show up to take part.

I blame it on cowardice....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ikke1959 said:

i agree with you but still free trade...even with rules and regulations, but the panicking here in Thailand because of some Chinese products is over the top, only to protect their own business, which also low quality. But Thailand protects everything that is why it is difficult to do anything as you need a workpermit for all and all jobs are protected and you can't protect everything  

Lot of truth in that......👌

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Temu’s presence is a sign of the changing trade landscape, heavily influenced by technology and the internet. Phumtham pointed out that the entry of such a competitive platform is a wake-up call for Thai SMEs, who must adapt quickly to survive in this new environment.

Welcome to the real world... 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Additionally, the Ministry discussed measures to collect appropriate e-commerce taxes from international platforms. This move aims to create a level playing field for local businesses and shield the domestic economy from potential harm

I notice a similar trend in my local supermarket, anything foreign is priced out.

First is 1) Protectionism, Than follow by 2) Globalisation ..3) Open Market Free Trade..4) Protectionism again...What is all these about...Changing System to suits their needs......These Scum Politicians all over the world are the same ,They changes their mind like we daily changes our underwear..there are no Morals, virtues, or Principals in what they say or do..Must have learn a lot from the Born Loser "USA" ...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

I used Apple Pay.  Not sure about COD sorry. 

If you use Apple pay , you have a log in , so you can see the payment options , just like on lazada.

32 minutes ago, FlorC said:

If you use Apple pay , you have a log in , so you can see the payment options , just like on lazada.

Yes correct.  Open a Temu account and put in your delivery address.   I just looked and they have a COD option.  Plenty of junk on the site but the clothes I ordered fit just fine.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

for years i had no recourse or options when i wanted to buy something. other than tesco, makro and other chains i had to do business with small/medium sized local shops usually owned by thai chinese. the quality was crap and if something broke they did nothing. now that all these online platforms are eating into their profits they arent happy... but i certainly am.

these small/medium shop owners had the monopoly long enough. will they improve their service, or warranties if the online shops have hurdles in their way...? certainly not... theyll just increase the prices, thai style

But temu sells junk and long delivery timelines plus almost impossible to return items and get refunds, similar to shein

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

TEMUs COD only here:

Cash on Delivery
Cash on Delivery is a payment option supported by merchandise partners for customers in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain and Jordan, where customers can pay in cash upon delivery of the parcel.

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

Anyone know if Temu has COD ?

I don't want to register to find out it is only credit card.

Certainly no COD in the UK. Maybe Thailand will be different but I doubt it. I've not loooked at the Thai site but in the UK it's free delivery on orders over £15, about 600 baht.