Thailand Has Global Ambition to Become Tech Talent Hub by 2030

4 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Being tech savvy is not about being a dolt user - techs make stuff, and not clips of puppies.

agree... tosays new generation of parents look at their kids on facebook and line and think. 'my child is so tech savvy!'

people dont understand that tech savvy starts at writing code for software, bot chatting and posting their lunch.

you also need to know and understand how networks work and are set up... not the PR style of networking...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

not another one!

how many hubs is that so far this year?

it's hard to keep up!

Thailand should be sanctioned because of their failure to implement a stable democracy. Nobody with any brains would invest here.

bob.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

One could say plenty about just 1 more of Thailands ambitions but being a tech Hub given their antiquated systems which often includes reams of paper work, what planet are they from? 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

HR-GR8-technology.jpg

Thailand is gearing up to become a worldwide tech powerhouse, thanks to its strategic location, wealth of resources, and intelligent policies designed to attract young professionals, top industry figures say. On August 9 at the Techsauce Global Summit 2024, Karndee Leopairote, head of foresight and digital assets at MQDC’s FutureTales Lab, discussed how Thailand’s plan aims to enhance knowledge sharing and nurture tech talent for export.

Thailand's reputation as a business-friendly country coupled with its natural assets, tasty food, and affordable lifestyle could attract global tech talent. Cities like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Koh Pha Ngan are becoming popular among digital nomads. The country also boasts a strong digital infrastructure, with high-speed internet accessible to over 80% of citizens and nearly all young adults owning smartphones.

To make Thailand more attractive, it offers easy visa programs and fewer regulations for individual talents, startups, investors, and expats. However, Karndee points out that further regulatory improvements are needed to encourage innovation. The importance of considering the interests and challenges faced by younger generations when designing policies is also emphasized.

By 2030, it's expected that Gen Alpha will make up 11% of the world labor market. As this generation is tech-savvy and prioritizes passion over conventional jobs, they are the target of Thailand's attraction strategy. Reports show that 71% of young professionals prefer working remotely or with a flexible schedule over promotions tied to office attendance.

Santitarn Sathirathai, an advisor to the Parliamentary Committee on National Artificial Intelligence Strategy, highlighted the economic advantage of making Thailand a talent hub. Due to an ageing society, the country needs more skilled foreign workers. He suggested that providing a high standard of living for expat families could help attract tech professionals to Thailand.

Santitarn also stressed the benefits of keeping the cost of living affordable and offering tax incentives, compared to living in higher-cost cities like Singapore and Hong Kong. He believes that Thai citizens who have worked overseas will return home with a global mindset, vastly contributing to the nation’s development.

Patama Chantaruck, Managing Director of Accenture Thailand, emphasized the need for future IT workers to keep up with fast-changing technology. Accenture has recently partnered with Prince of Songkla University to develop a cybersecurity course, nurturing the next generation of tech talent in Thailand.

A study by Accenture suggested a "net better off" approach for organizations, which involves investing in training and continuous learning, along with providing inclusive physical and mental health support, alongside financial benefits. Patama noted Accenture’s commitment to designing inclusive welfare schemes for employees and supporting flexible work schedules. With a diverse workforce comprising 17 nationalities, Accenture Thailand places high importance on fostering international collaborations.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-13

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

wait a moment: "intelligent policies"??? what are they?

and somehow I find it a awkward combi: thai & intelligence...

Dreaming! Thailand is so far behind advanced countries when it comes to tech. Most web-sites are so poor in their quality and functionality. I am talking about those of major companies, forget about the smaller ones.

It might be helpful if more emphasis was put on Thai people learning good English, Thai teachers included. Thailand is behind its neighbours in Vietnam and Cambodia, in this respect.

A ministry ought to be created specifically for this purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

If you are going to do business with Thais then you will need to learn Thai. Very few have English proficiency to enable to engage in anything technical

most Thai's are good 7-11 cashiers   

With the pathetic English skills of Thailand as a  whole, this is laughable at best! 

The Former PM, the ignorant General who led a coup against the government, made a speech 

in which he said that one day the Thai language would become one of the most spoken languages in 

the world. The reason the English IS the world's language was because of English colonization.

Will Thailand colonize the world? Ignorance abounds. 

I am a retired ESL teacher and was the head of the ESL program in one of Thailand's major universities with 12 NATIVE ENGLISH speakers working under me. I could write a book on the subject of Thai education in general and English in particular but please draw your own conclusions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, runamok27 said:

Are foreigners even allowed to work in tech in Thailand?

Only if you employ extra Thai staff to sit and look at their mobiles all day I suppose.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

thanks to its strategic location, wealth of resources, and intelligent policies designed to attract y

More like designed to deter.  Case in point, the new tax law for farangs.  These people are dreaming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand is a destination for Youtubers, influencers and digital nomads... that's all.

Need to find people dumb enough to have a bunch of overpriced condos unloaded on them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Metapod said:

would need higher salaries and lower taxes to be competitive.

The left hand doesn’t know if the right hand is having a Jimmy Riddle or a J. Arthur Rank…

Edited by eddie61
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

the smart kids know better than stay here and work for some thai boss who will pay them a pittance and treat them like beasts of burden.

This is why so many Thai business owners are stinking rich. 

• Agree 1

Omg, 1st of April came around fast. More like the hub of leisure with an almost regular calendar of 4-day weeks. Had a tradesman visit yesterday, didn't know how to use a spirit level. I have yet to see a condo or house - old or brand new - which doesn't have a myriad of construction and design defects. And don't start me with the footpaths ........ Hub of technology? I rest my case.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

This is why so many Thai business owners are stinking rich. 

Because they have their business models and ideas and many worked to achieve what they have and provide employment for people.

33 minutes ago, Umlungu said:

Omg, 1st of April came around fast. More like the hub of leisure with an almost regular calendar of 4-day weeks. Had a tradesman visit yesterday, didn't know how to use a spirit level. I have yet to see a condo or house - old or brand new - which doesn't have a myriad of construction and design defects. And don't start me with the footpaths ........ Hub of technology? I rest my case.

So you did not employ qualified people with tools.

With your user name, how's your country doing?

"In South Africa “umlungu” is a word that’s commonly used to refer to white people. It comes from isiXhosa, the language of the country’s Xhosa people."

Edited by freeworld

14 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

And a less corrupt and convoluted Immigration system.

A lot more efficient and easier than Europe or the US financially and time wise.

Edited by freeworld