Thailand Has Global Ambition to Become Tech Talent Hub by 2030

The mother-of-all-hubs; we've been there before ........ yaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

80% of Thais have access to high-speed internet; really? So my wife's village was not taken into the census evaluation then - not that it matters as they really have different problems like stable electricity, the very much interrupted fresh water supply. 
My mother in law (who is a wonderful woman with three years of public schooling) is in total disagreement with Techsauce Global Summit 2024 and the MQDC’s FutureTales. 

Is ever anyone reading what they write, are they aware that the internet can also be accessed outside Thailand? The statement that almost all you adults have a smartphone, is most likely correct. Another debt trap and I can give you this in writing; most users can handle the gizmo as a phone and otherwise it comes to good use for TikTok, LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Sanook and all the other stuff - apart from millions of photos nobody ever will look at ever again afterwards ......... 

15 hours ago, Metapod said:

would need higher salaries and lower taxes to be competitive.

Higher salaries will only drive companies away.

Thailand needs to look at India in the late 80's early 90's

They developed call centers for American companies and Tech universities. They allowed businesses to enter the country and bring in a labour force that could teach, train, and establish businesses.

They had set up computer universities for the brightest that were run by people int he business.

Saying tha because you allow digital nomads you are going to become a Tech hub is crazy.  Digital nomads work for themselves by themselves.

Thai law does not allow them to create jobs and training for Thais.

Thailand needs to look at bringing in the companines and allowing them to bring in their people from their countries.  These are the people who are going to train and teach, and eventually, companies will be able to replace Western staff with Thai staff who are qualified.   

There re other things but they have been kicked around so much that it goes without saying.

35 minutes ago, freeworld said:

So you did not employ qualified people with tools.

With your user name, how's your country doing?

"In South Africa “umlungu” is a word that’s commonly used to refer to white people. It comes from isiXhosa, the language of the country’s Xhosa people."

"Qualified people"? Any DIYer from about age eight, can use a spirit level. And no, I didn't give the "qualified" person a questionnaire in advance of his employ to ascertain his / her skills. Next time.

Thanks for the question. Answer: a <deleted>hole.

Thanks for the opportunity to enhance your knowledge of languages. Anything else I can help you with?

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

FutureTales Lab

Skip the term "future" and you're absolutely right. 

Another delusional idea that everyone in fact laughing about and just shaking his head...

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is a country that requires 2 vertical feet of paper documents to be hand filled and signed in duplicate each year. They need us for then we need them.

Check whats needed to get an EU visa for a visit. Can't imagine whats needed to get a work permit or how to stay longer term.

You must submit your application to the consulate at least 15 days before your intended journey and no earlier than 6 months beforehand

You may have to book an appointment before lodging the application.

What documents are needed to apply?

• A valid passport. The passport’s expiry date should be at least 3 months after the date of your departure from the Schengen area. For multiple-entry visas, the expiry date should be at least 3 months after your departure from the last country visited.
  • A visa application form
  • Medical insurance covering emergency medical care, hospitalisation and repatriation (including in the event of death).
  • Supporting documents relating to the purpose of your stay, evidence of financial means and accommodation during your stay, and evidence of your intention to return to your home country after your stay.
  • Your fingerprints will be collected when you submit your application (exemptions exist for specific categories of applicants).

Additional documents may also be requested by the consulates.

How much does a visa cost?

• €90 for adults
  • €45 for children aged 6-12
  • €35 for applicants from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Belarus
  • €67,50 for applicants from Cabo Verde.

An additional fee may apply if you go through visa service centres, which collect applications on behalf of consulates in some cases.

The visa fee can be waived for specific categories of applicants.

How long does the application take to process?

The normal processing time for a visa application is 15 days

This period may be extended to up to 45 days if a more detailed examination of the application and/or additional documents are required.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

huba .. huba ... huba ...    the tech hub ..   is that after the world tourism hub or before the Asian aviation hub .... 

so many hubs here ....   it's the world of hubs.  

I think "financial hub" is high on the list, (of "it ain't gonna happen").

5 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

The country that can't get the portal to do online 90 day reporting to work, aims to be a tech hub...

Or rollout its digital wallet scheme, which crashed on day 1 of registration.

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

They do want to become this ... and this ... some crazy guy in the administration has the job to invent new " hubs " that Thailand will want to become , every day .

Pity that Thailand , most of the time , does not fulfill the basic requirements to make their dreams come true ...

The Ministry of "Thailand Aims" (and Misses)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

It's moving a small portion to Thailand likewise Vietnam and Mexico. It hardly makes Thailand a hub of technology 

But they aren't claiming to be a hub NOW.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The simple minded authorities need to wake up and make some sacrifices such as lowering luxury taxes, lowering wine taxes, cleaning up the air, making the highways safer, allowing more private air travel, helicopter travel, high-speed trains and alternatives to the totally choked and extremely hazardous highways. 

Shockingly, simple-minded Microsoft seems entirely unconcerned by your carefully-considered requirements. WOT???

"What that means it that is not only do you have full capability of Azure in Thailand, but the best world-class AI infrastructure," Nadella said at an event in Bangkok, the capital, referring to the company's cloud computing platform.

The Thailand data centre will also help enterprise-grade reliability, performance, and compliance with data residency and privacy standards, Microsoft added in the statement.

Microsoft has pledged to train 2.5 million people in Southeast Asia in the use of AI by 2025.

--Microsoft to open first regional data centre in Thailand

It's not too late to write to CEO Nadella to inform him of a BIG MISTAKE. You should be able to collect a huge consultant's fee.

It's a source of perennial wonderment here how international companies fail to do even the most basic marketing research and survey our keyboard warriors when it comes to Thailand. Gon' be sorry when they find out about that wine tax! All those techies and admins and support having to drink boxed Mont Clair like our pensioners. Intolerable!:sad:

Edited by BigStar

10 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

And I doubt they will be in the near future 

2030 can be near or far, depending. But it's important to express our informed doubts here, an important function of the forum. Catharsis helps slow the progress of aging.

Edited by BigStar

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

A lot more efficient and easier than Europe or the US financially and time wise.

Disagree. And my post wasn't actually about the process involved - more about the corruption. The personnel and unnecessarily drawn out and antiquated ways do complicate it too though. 

Edited by Jackbenimble

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

HR-GR8-technology.jpg

Thailand is gearing up to become a worldwide tech powerhouse, thanks to its strategic location, wealth of resources, and intelligent policies designed to attract young professionals, top industry figures say. On August 9 at the Techsauce Global Summit 2024, Karndee Leopairote, head of foresight and digital assets at MQDC’s FutureTales Lab, discussed how Thailand’s plan aims to enhance knowledge sharing and nurture tech talent for export.

Thailand's reputation as a business-friendly country coupled with its natural assets, tasty food, and affordable lifestyle could attract global tech talent. Cities like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Koh Pha Ngan are becoming popular among digital nomads. The country also boasts a strong digital infrastructure, with high-speed internet accessible to over 80% of citizens and nearly all young adults owning smartphones.

To make Thailand more attractive, it offers easy visa programs and fewer regulations for individual talents, startups, investors, and expats. However, Karndee points out that further regulatory improvements are needed to encourage innovation. The importance of considering the interests and challenges faced by younger generations when designing policies is also emphasized.

By 2030, it's expected that Gen Alpha will make up 11% of the world labor market. As this generation is tech-savvy and prioritizes passion over conventional jobs, they are the target of Thailand's attraction strategy. Reports show that 71% of young professionals prefer working remotely or with a flexible schedule over promotions tied to office attendance.

Santitarn Sathirathai, an advisor to the Parliamentary Committee on National Artificial Intelligence Strategy, highlighted the economic advantage of making Thailand a talent hub. Due to an ageing society, the country needs more skilled foreign workers. He suggested that providing a high standard of living for expat families could help attract tech professionals to Thailand.

Santitarn also stressed the benefits of keeping the cost of living affordable and offering tax incentives, compared to living in higher-cost cities like Singapore and Hong Kong. He believes that Thai citizens who have worked overseas will return home with a global mindset, vastly contributing to the nation’s development.

Patama Chantaruck, Managing Director of Accenture Thailand, emphasized the need for future IT workers to keep up with fast-changing technology. Accenture has recently partnered with Prince of Songkla University to develop a cybersecurity course, nurturing the next generation of tech talent in Thailand.

A study by Accenture suggested a "net better off" approach for organizations, which involves investing in training and continuous learning, along with providing inclusive physical and mental health support, alongside financial benefits. Patama noted Accenture’s commitment to designing inclusive welfare schemes for employees and supporting flexible work schedules. With a diverse workforce comprising 17 nationalities, Accenture Thailand places high importance on fostering international collaborations.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-13

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

The country in which I reported a data breach to a major developer run by a certain now prime minister, and ended up in criminal court for computer crime.  Yes it was laughed out of court and I am counter suing for false charges and civil damages. But it destroyed 3 years of my life, cancelled my workpermit and cost me millions of THB in legal fees. 

Hub my arse.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

.......and prioritizes passion over conventional jobs,......

Which explains the existence of such locations as Soi Nana, Soi Cowboy, Bangkok, Soi 6 Pattaya and numerous others. 😀

5 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Which explains the existence of such locations as Soi Nana, Soi Cowboy, Bangkok, Soi 6 Pattaya and numerous others. 😀

Yep, all those skyscrapers and luxury hotels, apts and condos in BKK are needed to support a few streets representing the red light districts. Explains why there's nothing to eat but street food.

Edited by BigStar

Bonafides Retired. Prior: executive vp for a 105 billion USD multinational supply chain engineering & delivery organization and 3 additional supply chain organizations with experience in international expansion, M&A, integration, government relations, and operations. 

I mention this as none of my experience (including 20 years in Asia) tells me what many of you have written in 1 sentence or less, ain't gonna happen. This government and economy would be challenged to pass a thorough business risk assessment.

I also would suggest the money hungry oligarchs focus on a strategy of a better system of education, acknowledgement and plan to act on endemic corruption, lessen businesses restrictions, break the monopolies, accept a real democracy, shrink the bloated law enforcement structures, get rid of selective law enforcement & enforce the law uniformly,and so much more. Then there is always the option to become another vassal state for Xi's plans which would further cement the oligarchs grip on power.

Technology is a big and wide term. What specifically? Design, ok if sufficient talent, cloud server farms? Obviously a big no, etc. 

This effort looks like more busy work for the uniforms (state professionals). Follow the leaders: root out corruption, improve education, improve infrastructure, greatly reduce the bloated government and military structures. A complicated subject that would fill 100 pages of ideas and feasibility plans, so nuff said. Thailand has great potential that will only be fulfilled with real servant leadership. My 2 cents.

Thailand Has Global Ambition to Become Tech Talent Hub by 2030

Before you aim that high,

make your Online 90 Day Report site workable.

It has been here for ages.

But never worked properly.

When I report it to the local  Immigration Office, they told me to lodge the complaint at Bangkok office instead of here.

• Agree 1