Air Fryer vs Halogen cooker

KannikaP

My massive oven has given up, so I am thinking about these two alternatives.

Let's say you want to cook some meat and fries for three people, me, the Mrs and the kid.

The problem I see with them is that you can only do one part of the meal at once, having to keep say the meat warm until the fries are done, unless you get one of the expensive Ninja jobbies with a partition in the basket.

The halogen ones on Lazada/Shopee are marginally cheaper, but not that it matters if I get good results.

Anyone got either of these two, and your recommendations please.

• Thanks 1

I have both, I use the big oven for large pieces of meat (roasting).

I use the air fryer for sausages, fish fingers, refreshing the cats dry food and fooling her into believing it’s fresh.

Most of all I use the crockpot, cheap cuts of meat come out fantastic.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have both, I use the big oven for large pieces of meat (roasting).

I use the air fryer for sausages, fish fingers, refreshing the cats dry food and fooling her into believing it’s fresh.

Most of all I use the crockpot, cheap cuts of meat come out fantastic.

Sorry, my 'big oven' has given up after ten years of faithful service, so now it needs replacing with one of the two methods.

I guess one way would be to cook the meat first, then do the chips, and warm the meat up in the 'wave. 

Did you get your crockpot here? Can you do a one-man pizza in the Air Fryer?

Edited by KannikaP

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

ada/Shopee are marginally cheaper, but not that it matters if I get good results.

Anyone got either of these two, and your recommendations please.

I have 2x cheap air fryers, one for meat, one for chips.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a one-man Pizza with a thick slice of bread in the air fryer, it turned out ok.

You could cook a small joint in the air fryer, wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes whilst you do the fries.

I got my crockpot in BigC about 15 years ago, the side handles have long since degraded.  I got the largest and I batch cook then freeze. It’s so easy to cook, load it and come back 5 hours later.

• Like 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

You could cook a small joint in the air fryer, wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes whilst you do the fries.

Is that to decarboxylate the contents of the small joint?  555

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have 2x cheap air fryers, one for meat, one for chips.

I guess one of each then would be the way to go. Best of both worlds. Thanks.

Just ordered an Xaomei Air Fryer via Lazada Bht 899.

Edited by KannikaP

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is that to decarboxylate the contents of the small joint?  555

I do that organically, send me your address and I’ll post you a sample after I’ve decarbywhatsitted it naturally in my body.

• Haha 2

I think you can never have enough microwave ovens.

If you’re having a dinner party, with three or four veggies, having more than one microwave helps a lot

Lazada has some of the high-power ones they use in 7-Eleven, if I was in the market for a microwave, that’s what I would buy.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think you can never have enough microwave ovens.

If you’re having a dinner party, with three or four veggies, having more than one microwave helps a lot

Lazada has some of the high-power ones they use in 7-Eleven, if I was in the market for a microwave, that’s what I would buy.

I never invite those sort of people to my dinner parties!  555

A steamer comes in handy for that. Then use the water for your gravy.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I guess one of each then would be the way to go. Best of both worlds. Thanks.

Just ordered an Xaomei Air Fryer via Lazada Bht 899.

Is the spelling that you used from the advertising? Because it's surely not a genuine Xiaomi. Their Mi Air Fryer costs 1,990 baht.

Personally I would have purchased a couple of these https://www.makro.pro/en/p/2xrtgq6-7352839438531

17 minutes ago, dddave said:

I also have both Air Fryer (6 litre) and a Halogen oven.  The air fryer gets used daily for chicken, pork, pretty much everything including steak.  The much larger and less convenient Halogen oven comes out when I want to cook a pizza or chicken or a large quantity of something, like roast vegetables and potato.  I tried doing bread for a while but just don't have the patience.

If I could only have one: air fryer all the way.  

BTW:  If you currently have a halogen oven or plan on buying one, it may be a good idea to purchase a few extra bulbs now while you still can.  The manufacture of halogen bulbs is being phased out this year and replacement bulbs will become difficult to buy.

I wouldn't buy a Halogen oven in the first place. The light clicking on and off could be an annoyance. Heated ring would be my choice. Air Fryer? Since you can do everything you can do in the air fryer, in the bigger convection oven and you need to get the oven out from time to time anyway, then the obvious choice if having only one choice, would be the bigger 12 litre oven.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Is the spelling that you used from the advertising? Because it's surely not a genuine Xiaomi. Their Mi Air Fryer costs 1,990 baht.

Personally I would have purchased a couple of these https://www.makro.pro/en/p/2xrtgq6-7352839438531

No, just my bad spelling. Xiaomi Mijia Air Fryer.https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4686998642-s19322958960.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=902687328546992&tradeOrderLineId=902687328646992&spm=spm%3Da2o42.order_details.item_title.1

Edited by KannikaP

10 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Thanks, I will try the Air Fryer's capabilities first, then maybe the Otto from Makro.

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Obviously nothing to do with Xiaomi. It's not even a copy. I'd be wary.

Theirs looks like this: 

image.png.12e414f42111f64008ea3e7d03b6c30e.png

8 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Theirs looks like this: 

I PMed you.

22 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Theirs looks like this: 

1,800 on Shopee from the Xiaomi official store (using voucher)

https://shopee.co.th/Xiaomi-Mi-Smart-Air-Fryer-(3.5L)-รับประกัน-1-ปี-i.389528981.11999569212?sp_atk=264c506b-76f3-4ab8-b320-459ce8fa0db6&xptdk=264c506b-76f3-4ab8-b320-459ce8fa0db6

On sale 15th for 1400bht.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

15% off makes it 1,700 baht. I guess the extra is the delivery charge.

Though not for me, as too small and more than double the price of the larger oven. If it were 899, I would buy one just for the novelty.

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It's 1990 now.

You gotta use the vouchers from a smart phone (Shopee app) for the discounts.

Today's voucher only discounts 300bht (+ 200 shipping)

Like I said ......... tomorrow ........

https://shopee.co.th/-NEW-Xiaomi-Mi-Smart-Air-Fryer-3.5L-หม้อทอดไร้น้ำมันอัจฉริยะ-หม้อทอดไฟฟ้า-จอสัมผัส-OLED-เคลือบสารกันติด-2-ชั้น-i.517161090.25233544133?sp_atk=67409273-d4d7-4df9-b719-2cde3b527c07&xptdk=67409273-d4d7-4df9-b719-2cde3b527c07

Screenshot_2024-08-14-11-22-08-031_com.shopee.th.jpg

Shopee has some amazing deals in the sales using vouchers.

I bought a Redmi Pad SE (11") normal price 6kbht for 4kbht in the 8.8 sale.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You gotta use the vouchers from a smart phone (Shopee app) for the discounts.

Today's voucher only discounts 300bht (+ 200 shipping)

Like I said ......... tomorrow ........

https://shopee.co.th/-NEW-Xiaomi-Mi-Smart-Air-Fryer-3.5L-หม้อทอดไร้น้ำมันอัจฉริยะ-หม้อทอดไฟฟ้า-จอสัมผัส-OLED-เคลือบสารกันติด-2-ชั้น-i.517161090.25233544133?sp_atk=67409273-d4d7-4df9-b719-2cde3b527c07&xptdk=67409273-d4d7-4df9-b719-2cde3b527c07

Screenshot_2024-08-14-11-22-08-031_com.shopee.th.jpg

Shopee has some amazing deals in the sales using vouchers.

I bought a Redmi Pad SE (11") normal price 6kbht for 4kbht in the 8.8 sale.

Thanks, got it for 1795 from genuine X Mi shop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Used an Air fryer does everything Except Chips they just don't cook the same as a deep fryer. If it was me i'd go for a single cheap gas bottle hob fryer  300 tbt probs for chips nuggets, wings legs Etc. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have this Tefal air fryer, very good, a friend bought it also. In Ops case buying two would be fine

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.pIGp1

Screenshot_2024-08-14-14-54-43-254_com.lazada.android.jpg

Would be incredibly dopey to buy two of those small ovens.  What happens if you want a pizza or to do anything that requires a bigger space?

One might make sense for energy saving. Better to buy one of the larger convection ovens/air fryers as a second oven. A lot cheaper too.

No one has yet convinced me of the benefit of spending more than double on one.