Pattaya police crack down on noisy Kuwaiti motorcyclists - video

snoop1130

I saw something interesting in Le Monde the other day that might shed some light on why there seem to be a lot of mid-easterners involved in these motorcycle riding disturbances. Apparently, this is a popular activity for young Arab men returning to their home countries when they come home for vacation. Gunning motors, parading, and racing as a form of machismo and showing off that they've "made it" abroad seems to be generally more tolerated in less congested areas of the city, because their vacationing back home is perceived as a boost to the economy. My guess is that some of these guys have gotten it into their heads that they can normalize this activity no matter where they are on vacation, and the Thai police are going to have to set them straight that Thailand isn't Tunis. But the main point I want to make is that this looks like a cultural acceptability issue rather than a criminality issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I saw something interesting in Le Monde the other day that might shed some light on why there seem to be a lot of mid-easterners involved in these motorcycle riding disturbances. Apparently, this is a popular activity for young Arab men returning to their home countries when they come home for vacation. Gunning motors, parading, and racing as a form of machismo and showing off that they've "made it" abroad seems to be generally more tolerated in less congested areas of the city, because their vacationing back home is perceived as a boost to the economy. My guess is that some of these guys have gotten it into their heads that they can normalize this activity no matter where they are on vacation, and the Thai police are going to have to set them straight that Thailand isn't Tunis. But the main point I want to make is that this looks like a cultural acceptability issue rather than a criminality issue.

London is plagued with them....but in high end cars not motorbikes.....residents are going ballistic.

They actually airfreight the cars over each summer.

To speak on Police action.Thai's believe in living in Harmony highly.  If the issue happened a couple of times and was within the boundaries of what is socially acceptable in that area we probably would not be reading about it, No Police Necessary.  Additionally Thai's value showing Respect highly.  

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

many of which had been modified with exhaust pipes louder than legally allowed.

4 hours ago, maddermax said:

Classic case is several in Khao Talo who drive up and down late at night keeping people awake.

It's not just Kuwaitis that the police ignore.  The local Plod have a long history of not working on anything that might save lives in preference to playing on their phones in A/C offices waiting for a tip that might bring in some extra cash.

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Not only in Pattaya but all over Thailand...If the RTP should start working things would be better

Did you just wake up?

52 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Thai's believe in living in Harmony highly.  

Thais are terrified of negative consequences, so they are very reluctant to put their neck out and directly conplain or criticise.

52 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Additionally Thai's value showing Respect highly.  

It's disrespectful to do something about noisy and dangerous motorcyclists?

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

Confiscate the bikes wether rented or owned, rental companies will soon stop renting bikes out if they lose a few.

Dead right.....people only change their behaviour when it starts to hurt.

4 hours ago, shackleton said:

The police need to stop the brown envelopes  fine the culprits  then deport 

If it continues 

Where can I buy brown envelopes? Everyone talks about them but I have never seen them for sale! (chocolate color, right???)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

London is plagued with them....but in high end cars not motorbikes.....residents are going ballistic.

They actually airfreight the cars over each summer.

Used to be called ‘cruising’ I suppose, hanging around to show off their cars because they can’t go to the pub - they don’t drink.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

how many times are we going to read this same story ....  I could have sworn I read similar a few days ago

You have to understand it takes time to form a committee to come up with a plan of how the police will approach the motorcycle owners for discussions.

They are also concerned about reports of mororcyclists 'honking their horns' since this implies these devices have been illegally modified. The horns on legal motorcycles make the sound 'Meep meep' and not 'Honk honk'. 😋

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Hard to imagine the RTP breaking off from collecting tea money for ordinary folk.

Kuwaitis have serious money, so they are chasing gold here

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Not only in Pattaya but all over Thailand...If the RTP should start working things would be better

Can they have a blitz on noisy night time bikes on Samui please?

Also (Mostly Thais) no helmets, and worst of all  - NO LIGHTS!!!

2 hours ago, anyone said:

Where can I buy brown envelopes? Everyone talks about them but I have never seen them for sale! (chocolate color, right???)

La***a is your friend! 🙂                       

Brown envelope KA125 grams, no address, great value pack

There are 5 sizes to choose from.

Size 5*8 inches, pack of 50 sheets

Size 7*10 inches, pack of 50 sheets

Size 9*12.75 inches, pack of 50 sheets (includes A4 paper)

Size 10*15 inches, pack of 25 sheets

Size 11*17 inches, pack of 25 sheets

Fill yer boots! 🙂

Brown envelope KA125/SB110 grams, pack of 25/50 sheets, no address, all sizes included, very cheap price

Edited by sambum

Why concentrate on Kuwaitis??? 

BiB please come to my neibourhood and make some extra tea money and see thais driving in the middle of night no mufflers the louder the better.

WHEN will police concentrate on Thai driving without mufflers or modified with exhaust pipes louder than anything imaginable !!!!??

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Can they have a blitz on noisy night time bikes on Samui please?

Also (Mostly Thais) no helmets, and worst of all  - NO LIGHTS!!!

Thais are always an exception for the laws.. Only laws for foreigners or non Thais

14 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Thais are always an exception for the laws.. Only laws for foreigners or non Thais

Why? My feeling is if they stop a Thai for no helmet, no lights etc there is nothing in it for them, whereas a foreigner?????

19 hours ago, Bobydog said:

HheNah, they aren't that bright, rtp, don't bother to do any thing about the 100 cc modified scooters on Ko Samui and the noise they make attempting to break the 70k barrier lol

Scooters?

• 4 weeks later...