Anyone living in rural area's should be mindful of snakes. Photo attached

27 minutes ago, RT555 said:

They have the banded Krait near Sai Kung in Hong Kong along with Pythons

Saw a python suffocate a full grown Alsatian dog there, couldn’t quite swallow it, had several people pulling the dog’s legs. Right outside a busy restaurant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

All I want ??? ... to kill ???

You forgot Kraits, Green pit vipers/all vipers (too many) & all Cobras

No need to worry about Sea Snakes, as you'll be dead before you reach land, or even back to the boat ... :cheesy:

Had a big water banded krait slither over my foot on a boat once, near Bali I think. I froze, it just ignored me and carried on its merry way. Scared the crap out of me. It had hidden in the braided cables at the back of a big diesel engine. Caught it in a bucket and put it over the side.

I spend a lot of time walking on trails with a big stick in the hills here in the north, seen quite a few out there but surprisingly I’ve seen more snakes in and around cm city than up in the hills. Ran over a reticulated with a motorcycle at 1:00am on the cm 700 hwy, by the time I saw it was too late to swerve, at first I thought it was a big stick laying in the road and when realizing what it was I accelerated over it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, diveasia666 said:

I only fear the Malaysian pit viper, also called the landmine, because they wait in ambush for pray and they don’t move when they feel you coming. All others flee unless cornered. 

B****y Malaysians......we've got Malaysian Pit Vipers AND Malaysian Pythons.......go home...got a good mind to set fire to a wheelie bin.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Those are venomous snakes, they aren't poisonous

Does it matter venomous or poisonous, they won't do you any good, stay away as far away as possible and let somebody else deal with them. Even non-venomous and non-poisonous snakes can kill you e.g. constrictors

7 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Does it matter venomous or poisonous, they won't do you any good, stay away as far away as possible and let somebody else deal with them. Even non-venomous and non-poisonous snakes can kill you e.g. constrictors

In general don't go putting your hands under coverings laying on the floor or into dark areas. Snakes do not generally attack people unless they feel threatened. There is one snake that will hunt you down if you are in their territory but that is in PNG not Thailand. 

19 hours ago, advancebooking said:

We have land in semi rural area. Tree's and rice fields around. Small canals with water nearby. 

Last week I folded an old vinal sign and put it on top of our concrete boundary wall. 2 nights ago we had a huge storm and it was blown off the wall into our carport area. I asked a friend to help me fold it back up and saw the snake right where my friend was standing- it was under the vinal sign that she lifted up. 

Called the local snake guy who said if bitten by this species, one would die within 60 minutes with no anti-venom. His advice was 

1. Everyone living in rural area's should own a snake book like the one I showed him

2. If bitten try to get a photo of the snake or find it in the book

3. Go to the nearest public hospital- not a private hospital. They have all the anti-venoms 

4. This time of year clean up all outside living areas. Snakes are looking for homes out of the rain. 

5. If one doesnt have a camera kill the snake and take it in a bag to the hospital for identification. The following day watch yourself being ridiculed by the Thai tabloid news stations. It happened a year or 2 ago in Isan. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a118625edf3b767566d92e7d40268fd.jpeg

cheers 

image.thumb.jpeg.d64a014b32947f760d2dac36f632f13b.jpeg

It's VINYL, and not VYnil as most people say.

2 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Copperhead snakes in the U.S. of A. will chase you sometimes or attempt to bite you without provocation.   

I lived in Louisiana when I was a kid.   They came at me and others when they were over 3 meters away from us.  

True they are territorial. I believe you also get a lot of Cobra's in the overgrown Soi's in Bangkok as well. Some good videos about them on YouTube.

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Yikes....Haven't come across that one, but we regularly see python tracks and have come across a few dead King Cobras.

We quite often have smallish, bluey-grey ones in the garden and under the car....the wife says they are not poisonous.....but she could be lying in the hope I get bitten

Yeah, US embassy employs geese - they have a large pond on the grounds but even before moving across the street toi this new bldg, they had the geese which raise a loud racket upon meeting any snakes on the grounds - Soi Wittayu so right in the middle of town.  I live in Sankamphaeng CM in a village surrounded by other mooban, rice fields, canals too and I used to walk every AM 3-4 oclock - one morning ran into a 4 meter Burmese Python - had to help the guard catch it before it did any damage to pets or folks.  When it opened it mouth to bite us, it seemed it could swallow my head completely!  I also ran into small cobras and other UNID types to me.  I learned a long time ago to avoid snakes even when I thought that they might be harmless.  I shudder to think about all the times I ran around in the jungles of this and nearby countries with all the really dangerous snakes and animals without even thinking about them seriously.  Ignorance of youth!  Sure wouldn't do it anymore.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I am sure it isn't his fault, when he posted There are no poisonous snakes in Thailand

He probably wrote, "There are no poisonous snakes in Irland (meaning to write Ireland) and auto correct inserted, Thailand!

They are venomous snakes, not Poisonous .

Poisonous is if you eat it , Venomous is if it bites you 

46 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Some smart ass always points it out, this time it was my turn to point it out 

5 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yeah, US embassy employs geese - they have a large pond on the grounds but even before moving across the street toi this new bldg, they had the geese which raise a loud racket upon meeting any snakes on the grounds - Soi Wittayu so right in the middle of town.  I live in Sankamphaeng CM in a village surrounded by other mooban, rice fields, canals too and I used to walk every AM 3-4 oclock - one morning ran into a 4 meter Burmese Python - had to help the guard catch it before it did any damage to pets or folks.  When it opened it mouth to bite us, it seemed it could swallow my head completely!  I also ran into small cobras and other UNID types to me.  I learned a long time ago to avoid snakes even when I thought that they might be harmless.  I shudder to think about all the times I ran around in the jungles of this and nearby countries with all the really dangerous snakes and animals without even thinking about them seriously.  Ignorance of youth!  Sure wouldn't do it anymore.

Wow.....I know the in-laws keep quite a few geese.....I wonder if tha's one of the reasons???

Just now, Will B Good said:

Wow.....I know the in-laws keep quite a few geese.....I wonder if tha's one of the reasons???

If they are familiar with that warning cackle that all the group of geese wandering around on the grounds.  Have scared up quite a few over the years.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Copperhead snakes in the U.S. of A. will chase you sometimes or attempt to bite you without provocation.   

I lived in Louisiana when I was a kid.   They came at me and others when they were over 3 meters away from us.  

From what I have read about copperheads (fm MD and many in our woods) children are often their victims since they only bite if touched - and kids will do that.  That is what I was taught in my youth.  Maybe the southern ones don't like the locals .

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

From what I have read about copperheads (fm MD and many in our woods) children are often their victims since they only bite if touched - and kids will do that.  That is what I was taught in my youth.  Maybe the southern ones don't like the locals .

Color me surprised about snakes again.   I didn't know there were rattlesnakes were in Pennsylvania.   Now I find that there are copperheads in Maryland?

20 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Anyone living in rural area's should be mindful of snakes 

I live south Pattaya, heart of the city, in a gated community. 

We often get snakes around the site coming into people's property. 

I remember around 20 years ago, had a snake in the backyard, I was terrified, the Mrs got the cleaning lady across the road to remove it. 

3 hours ago, advancebooking said:

So the guy who removed the snake from my yard is wrong is he? He said no antivenom in 60min and you die. Come on mate. You dont know what you are talking about. Dont type these messages from your bar stool in pattaya. 

And you are giving really bad and dangerous advice. The hospitals have or know where to get the antivenom. You do not. Get to a hospital and let them handle it.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Color me surprised about snakes again.   I didn't know there were rattlesnakes were in Pennsylvania.   Now I find that there are copperheads in Maryland?

Suggest you get a book or google pictures of snakes - a copperhead is not a rattlesnake though I have heard of a few rattlesnakes found in the mountains of northwestern MD - close to Penn.  Just saying as one should at least familiarize himself if possible about dangerous snakes - especially since the US has so few it is easy enough to recognize them.

Best of luck when in the wild.

27 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Some smart ass always points it out, this time it was my turn to point it out 

Yeah the joke in Thai class (from the teacher of course) was in Thailand there are 50 different species of snakes, 47 are venomous  and the other three will squeeze you to death!  But I have since leaned that there are a lot more different species of snakes than that in this country.  Beware for sure if you see anything resembling a snake near you or your friends.

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Suggest you get a book or google pictures of snakes - a copperhead is not a rattlesnake though I have heard of a few rattlesnakes found in the mountains of northwestern MD - close to Penn.  Just saying as one should at least familiarize himself if possible about dangerous snakes - especially since the US has so few it is easy enough to recognize them.

Best of luck when in the wild.

No shortage of diamondbacks and copperheads in southern central Pennsylvania. The snakes here are much more lethal but I avoid them regardless.

A copperhead put a friend of mine in the hospital for over a week when we were 12. 

1 minute ago, cjinchiangrai said:

No shortage of diamondbacks and copperheads in southern central Pennsylvania. The snakes here are much more lethal but I avoid them regardless.

A copperhead put a friend of mine in the hospital for over a week when we were 12. 

Yeah I saw enough of them in the MD woods as I was growing up.  Their markings are pretty evident so easy to guess what they were and to avoid bothering them.  Never saw any rattlesnakes but many king snakes and have to remember the rings of color so as not to bother that colorful one and make a mistake on the colors - I forget exactly what that was now.  Too old and stay away from that area.