Anyone living in rural area's should be mindful of snakes. Photo attached

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yeah I saw enough of them in the MD woods as I was growing up.  Their markings are pretty evident so easy to guess what they were and to avoid bothering them.  Never saw any rattlesnakes but many king snakes and have to remember the rings of color so as not to bother that colorful one and make a mistake on the colors - I forget exactly what that was now.  Too old and stay away from that area.

The other banded one is the Eastern Coral Snake. The most dangerous one in the US as I recall.

11 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Suggest you get a book or google pictures of snakes - a copperhead is not a rattlesnake though I have heard of a few rattlesnakes found in the mountains of northwestern MD - close to Penn.  Just saying as one should at least familiarize himself if possible about dangerous snakes - especially since the US has so few it is easy enough to recognize them.

Best of luck when in the wild.

I know what rattle snakes look like.  I had one as a pet.   The poison would kill mice in about 3-5 seconds.   

What I wrote was that I did not know rattle snakes were in Pennsylvania.   I also did not know that copper heads were in Maryland.  Now I am wondering if copperheads are in Pennsylvania too.   

I have seen other snakes in Pennsylvania, but no venomous snakes as yet.  

In Louisiana and Texas I have seen a variety of different snakes.  I have not seen all of them in both states, but, I have seen Coral Snakes and can tell it from  a King snake, rattle snakes, moccasin/cottonmouth snake, copperhead snake, black snake, hog nose snake, chicken snake (might be the black snake) etc.   Fortunately never bitten by any of them, whether venomous or not.   I have been bitten by dragon flies, which took chunks of skin out of my finger tips.   You have to be careful where on their bodies you catch them.  

5 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

The other banded one is the Eastern Coral Snake. The most dangerous one in the US as I recall.

I think I read once that rattlesnakes kill more people than any other snake in the world.   My memory is foggy on that, it just might be they kill more people in the U.S. of A. and not the world. 

3 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I think I read once that rattlesnakes kill more people than any other snake in the world.   My memory is foggy on that, it just might be they kill more people in the U.S. of A. and not the world. 

I would agree in the US. Lots of types of Rattlers and the range is most of North America. In Asia it is the Malaysian Pit Viper, Aggressive and huge range. Neither is the most lethal but have the most human encounters. Fortunately cobras and kraits avoid people. Be careful to zip your tent if camping. They like to snuggle up for warmth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

All I want ??? ... to kill ???

You forgot Kraits, Green pit vipers/all vipers (too many) & all Cobras

No need to worry about Sea Snakes, as you'll be dead before you reach land, or even back to the boat ... :cheesy:

I have done a lot of scuba diving in the Philippines - have seen sea snakes come up to me and tap on the face mask - since I have seen them so many times and read about them, I never bothered them and eventually they just swim away without any harm to me!  That doesn't mean that the "pucker factor" wasn't in effect!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I know what rattle snakes look like.  I had one as a pet.   The poison would kill mice in about 3-5 seconds.   

What I wrote was that I did not know rattle snakes were in Pennsylvania.   I also did not know that copper heads were in Maryland.  Now I am wondering if copperheads are in Pennsylvania too.   

I have seen other snakes in Pennsylvania, but no venomous snakes as yet.  

In Louisiana and Texas I have seen a variety of different snakes.  I have not seen all of them in both states, but, I have seen Coral Snakes and can tell it from  a King snake, rattle snakes, moccasin/cottonmouth snake, copperhead snake, black snake, hog nose snake, chicken snake (might be the black snake) etc.   Fortunately never bitten by any of them, whether venomous or not.   I have been bitten by dragon flies, which took chunks of skin out of my finger tips.   You have to be careful where on their bodies you catch them.  

Yessir, lots of snakes in all those wooded areas and especially I have read in the Mountains.  I also am an avid golfer or used to be and not so accurate so I spent a lot of time in the woods and heavy reeds looking for my wayward shots and too many times ran across some slithering monters - some of those black snakes around the salt marshes were as huge as some of the boas or pythons.  Sometimes the ball would be in a nest of them - just took a drop on many of those shots.  Best of luck!

I watched a Banded Krait swim in my Koi Carp pond, magnificent and terrifying in equal measure. There are quite a few around Phrao, and the locals are very cautious of these guys. If one is caught ( they're always killed ) it will be shared on the local FB pages. 

I stopped my motorcycle to watch one cross the road and my Thai pals cracked up. One said "if that type of snake bites you, phone us so we know where to find your body." I'm always getting in trouble for leaving my patio doors open in case they get access to my house. 

I don't like snakes but I'm not scared of snakes. I'd rather take my chances with a cobra than a sneak attack by a viper. If you've ever seen a viper in the wild you'll know what I'm talking about, they are the masters of disguise. You can't say that about the Banded Krait, those big yellow bands are plenty of warning to stay away. 

Just now, Presnock said:

Yessir, lots of snakes in all those wooded areas and especially I have read in the Mountains.  I also am an avid golfer or used to be and not so accurate so I spent a lot of time in the woods and heavy reeds looking for my wayward shots and too many times ran across some slithering monters - some of those black snakes around the salt marshes were as huge as some of the boas or pythons.  Sometimes the ball would be in a nest of them - just took a drop on many of those shots.  Best of luck!

The biggest snake I have seen in North America was a cottonmouth.  I swear it was almost 6 foot long and the largest part of its body was over 3 inches in diameter, maybe bigger.   it had a huge head too. 

That was in Texas.  I had just finished shooting practice at a range out in the sticks outside of Houston Texas (M14 competition rifle from the TX National Guard) and walked to the bridge over a small creek near it.   There it was swimming in the water!  And I had been out in the woods right next to the creek a couple of times just walking around checking it out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There are no poisonous snakes in Thailand 

Well if that is so, it was a funny Cobra I saw the other day. Most definitely a poisonous snake if ever there was one. I let it go on its way, which happened to be into next doors garden. I did say to the guy about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I not seen."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I think you are uneducated on this subject

How would hospital staff know how to identify the snake species, unless they were specifically trained to identify snakes.

In other counties (Red Cross) the recommendation is do not take the snake to the hospital. As the earlies poster said they will use an anti venom depending on the symptoms.

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Copperhead snakes in the U.S. of A. will chase you sometimes or attempt to bite you without provocation.   

I lived in Louisiana when I was a kid.   They came at me and others when they were over 3 meters away from us.  

Same as a king brown in Australia.

24 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Well if that is so, it was a funny Cobra I saw the other day. Most definitely a poisonous snake if ever there was one. I let it go on its way, which happened to be into next doors garden. I did say to the guy about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I not seen."

Cobras are venomous, they aren't poisonous

4 hours ago, theblether said:

I watched a Banded Krait swim in my Koi Carp pond, magnificent and terrifying in equal measure. There are quite a few around Phrao, and the locals are very cautious of these guys. If one is caught ( they're always killed ) it will be shared on the local FB pages. 

I stopped my motorcycle to watch one cross the road and my Thai pals cracked up. One said "if that type of snake bites you, phone us so we know where to find your body." I'm always getting in trouble for leaving my patio doors open in case they get access to my house. 

I don't like snakes but I'm not scared of snakes. I'd rather take my chances with a cobra than a sneak attack by a viper. If you've ever seen a viper in the wild you'll know what I'm talking about, they are the masters of disguise. You can't say that about the Banded Krait, those big yellow bands are plenty of warning to stay away. 

Very dumb to leave your doors open. Why would you take that risk. The thai guy that helped me find the snake guy in the photo lives near our land. Drove past today and his front door is open. He leaves it open all the time. Tried to tell him but to no avail. 

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

Very dumb to leave your doors open. Why would you take that risk. The thai guy that helped me find the snake guy in the photo lives near our land. Drove past today and his front door is open. He leaves it open all the time. Tried to tell him but to no avail. 

Yes, it's always a fantastic idea to tell a snake wrangler about the risk of snakes. 

Great stuff. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

All I want ??? ... to kill ???

You forgot Kraits, Green pit vipers/all vipers (too many) & all Cobras

No need to worry about Sea Snakes, as you'll be dead before you reach land, or even back to the boat ... :cheesy:

I'd prefer not to... only for the point of they are part of nature ,,,   but ....a shovel to the head is my choice  ..   

ok  I have to confess ..... the real reason is .....  my wife won't let me    

a couple of months ago she missed stepping on a monacled cobra slithering at our back patio door ..by about 6 inches

after I caught it with my 2 meter image.jpeg.cc0332034fd88f1204179958398c3e02.jpeg

she went into hysterics until I walked it down the road and flung it into the brush

all I need now is a new shirt

image.jpeg.a25d2e1d8238f915fe2812c7acfbf6dc.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Depends how well you cook them first.

All toxins dissipate after ten minutes boiling.

Have you ever eaten one?

(I have.  But, too bony for my liking.)

On 8/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Those are venomous snakes, they aren't poisonous

Are you trying to say that venom or toxin aren't poisons?

With a limited vocabularly the Thais will use the word "poison" , that's good enough for  me.

About 10 years ago i was bitten on the hand by a Malaysian Pit Viper, hospital didnt have anti venom, guy in the next village treated me with  some home made potion. My arm, hand and shoulder looked terrible but the anti venom did the job. But 10 years on i still have a numb thumb ! 

• Like 1