Pattaya Police Investigate Stores Following Fatal Drain Cleaner Incident

snoop1130

drain-cleaner-scaled.jpeg

Pattaya police have begun investigating local hardware stores and their stock of construction materials. The move is aimed at identifying the presence of dangerous chemicals and educating the public on how to use them safely. This follows the tragic incident where a mother and her two children died from toxic gases produced by a drain cleaner.

Police Colonel Navin Theerawit, the Chief of Pattaya City Police, has assigned Police Captain Apinan Boonyarat to lead the special operations team in this investigation. Yesterday, on August 14, the team inspected two main stores in Pattaya at 3:30 pm. The goal was to locate any potentially harmful chemicals and promote safety awareness. The initiative was triggered by the fatal incident in Chon Buri province, involving a drain cleaner that released toxic gases.

Suthep, the 67-year-old proprietor of Charoenphong Hardware, stated that his store includes user instructions with every drain cleaner purchase. He stressed the need to have a container of clean water on hand to rinse off the chemical promptly if it touches the skin.

He said, "This chemical is a strong acid and we advise against mixing it with other chemicals. When using it, make sure doors and windows are open for ventilation and don't use large amounts of alkaline (caustic soda) cleaners often sold online.”

At another busy store, Pattaya Klang Hardware, the owner, Jan, noted that their drain cleaners come from reputable companies and comply with safety standards and traceability of production.

Jan said, “Most of our customers are professional maintenance workers who know how to use these products correctly. However, if a regular customer, like a housekeeper, buys the cleaner, we give them detailed instructions and underscore the importance of correct usage."

The police are now focusing their efforts on preventing similar incidents. They aim to ensure that stores not only sell these products in a responsible manner but also teach buyers how to use them safely.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-15

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Don't mix  "Haiter" bleach (Sodium hypochlorite)  with "Toilet Duck" (Hydrochloric acid) the gas produced is very nasty.

And who knows what more they have used before going to buy caustic soda

1 hour ago, johng said:

Don't mix  "Haiter" bleach (Sodium hypochlorite)  with "Toilet Duck" (Hydrochloric acid) the gas produced is very nasty.

One just needs to double the dosage of nasal sticks, and stuff one up both nostrils. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, johng said:

Many years ago I recall having a one week girlfriend who had quite noticeably scarred hands... she had been given a container of a strong acid to clean under her sink with. I also recall some workers bringing along some strong acid to try and clean off the sand wash round the pool. Stuff seems easy to get hold of. 

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The move is aimed at identifying the presence of dangerous chemicals and educating the public on how to use them safely

Best of luck with that.

Most bathroom cleaners here have hydrochloric acid in them.

I get organic ones for our housekeeper to use.

Also you can try putting baking soda in a sink or toilet and then pouring vinegar in to clear plugs.  It foams up quite a bit.

I just bought some caustic soda from my local shop to clear my blocked sink drain.  He was Chinese Thai (I think, as his English was good.)  He taught me the Thai word for the product but nothing else.

The paper said this was sulfuric acid. And H2SO4 is a whole new level for danger . It even reacts explosively with water. Only as last resort. If lye ,(sodium hydroxide) , (caustic soda) does not work.  Wear goggles. Serious danger

16 minutes ago, john donson said:

if only they taught basic life skills in school instead praising someone every single day, many times a day

There seems to be no sense of danger or risk in the day to day behaviour..... the mother,  with 2 kids up on the motorcycle riding against traffic seems oblivious to the risks. 

On 8/16/2024 at 12:08 PM, nakhonandy said:

Half the people selling the stuff don't know how to use it.

Instructions should be on the container.

Usualy they are, but often in very small text meaning you might need a magnifying glass to be able to read it.