What Thai dishes are the lowest calories?

11 hours ago, mlkik said:

Kapow moo grop is a good low calorie meal 🙂

Crispy pork low calorie? On a bed of white rice? With a probably heavily sweetened basil compote? For low calorie, eat unsweetened sour curries or jungle curry (geng pa). Tom yam should be lo cal unless with prawns. Omelettes if not dropping in oil. Yam (Thai salad), laab (minced spicy meat), are dishes I used to pig out on when I was a keto head. Thinking lo carb might be more helpful for weight reduction diet. No rice. No bread. No noodles and no potatoes. For as long as you can.

• Confused 2

Just now, maesariang said:

Morning glory and lean meat.

The Pak bung is usually almost inedible due to its requirement to be chewed for 5 minutes for each mouthful. And is usually swamped in oyster sauce (Naman hoy) and msg. There are a lot of vegetables which as foreigners we never get served or even see. If you go to a big veg market like Ratonogorn on Thepprasit in Pattaya, you'll get an idea. Generally foreigners get served Thai dishes that, like Indian dishes in an Indian restaurant, are geared to what Thais have learnt wins approval for a typical Westerner's palate. Sweet curries, nothing bitter, except maybe a gourd, not much sour. You want spicy? Nit noy ok? You get the picture.

On 8/16/2024 at 10:59 AM, maesariang said:

Thai's avoid curries and let the foreigners eat them. What common dishes are low calorie?

The problem with Thai food is that they always put sugar in it! Also the use of old oil and MSG makes me avoid Thai food all together if I can avoid it. Don't worry about calories! Worry about sugars and the oils! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Broth-based Thai soups like tom yum; grilled, boiled and steamed dishes; and papaya salad and lettuce wraps  have low calories.  A lot of the calories in Thai dishes come from sauces and dips.  Whenever possible. ask for the sauce on the side and use it and dips  sparingly.  Avoid dishes of any type with coconut milk as it is packed with calories.  Same-same regarding garnishes such as peanuts and fried shallots.   Deep-fried dishes are an absolute no-no and stir-fried or sauteed dishes should held to a minimum.  

Boiled noodles and long-grain white and brown rice don't have that many calories and are a good source of  fiber.  It's fried rice and noodles as well as sticky rice that you should skip.  You can also reduce the portion size of boiled rice and noodles to keep calorie intake lower.  Eat a steamed or boiled vegetable like broccoli (including the chopped stalks) instead of rice and noodles for fiber.  

The use of sugar as a standard ingredient in Thai dishes of all types gets plenty of criticism.  Of course it's true sugar (refined white or palm) is the first food you should eliminate from your diet in terms of weight loss.  If you have influence with the cook who prepares your meals, by all means request no sugar be added.  However, the purpose of sugar in Thai dishes is to balance the flavors- a key fcharacteristic of Thai cuisine- and many cooks will be reluctant at best and unable at worst to remove sugar from their recipes.  Don't worry about it too much.  The amounts are small enough not to be a big source of unneeded calories.

• Love It 2

Pad pat ruam made without sugar addition. Any cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, broccoli. Bamboo is zero carbs. Mushrooms. Avocado. A small amount of dark chocolate.

Pork, pork rinds, fish, beef, skinless chicken, almonds. If you must drink alcohol, only distilled spirits such as whisky, rum, and vodka. Absolutely no beer. Yoghurt ( no added sugar ) and cheese is OK.

No bread, rice, pasta, noodles, potatoes or carrot.

I would say it works, because I went from 93 kg to 78 kg. I have gone back to 84 kg, because I love pad thai goong and ice-cream.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The use of sugar as a standard ingredient in Thai dishes of all types gets plenty of criticism.  Of course it's true sugar (refined white or palm) is the first food you should eliminate from your diet in terms of weight loss.  If you have influence with the cook who prepares your meals, by all means request no sugar be added.  However, the purpose of sugar in Thai dishes is to balance the flavors- a key fcharacteristic of Thai cuisine- and many cooks will be reluctant at best and unable at worst to remove sugar from their recipes.  Don't worry about it too much.  The amounts are small enough not to be a big source of unneeded calories.

IMO sugar is used in Thai dishes to soften the heat of chili.

It's easy enough to omit sugar entirely, and use significantly less chili to get the same result. It's what I do.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see people using a tablespoon of chili, topped with a tablespoon of sugar.

In fact, the entire Australia sugar industry was bought out by Mitrphol some years ago, which shows how dependent on sugar Thailand is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

from the other side of the coin ........just my opinion./ view   based on real medical science

vegetarian .....   a diet lifestyle lacking in sustainable nutrients for human life

lots of fibre,,,,   useless to humans

cooked in very bad oil   ..   bad for humans

watch as they douse it with sugar and msg ..   again..  bad for humans

and why count calories ?  if you need a hobby try golf

Vegetarian can be a good diet if they know how to combine foods to get all 8 essential amino acids to promote muscle growth. Fiber is an essential part of every diet to help the gastro system move foods through. It promotes a healthy gut microbiota and makes sure food doesn't stay in the intestines too long, constipation being a byproduct of slow evacuation.  It also helps lower cholesterol. MSG isn't bad is taken in small amounts.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Pad pat ruam made without sugar addition. Any cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, broccoli. Bamboo is zero carbs. Mushrooms. Avocado. A small amount of dark chocolate.

Pork, pork rinds, fish, beef, skinless chicken, almonds. If you must drink alcohol, only distilled spirits such as whisky, rum, and vodka. Absolutely no beer. Yoghurt ( no added sugar ) and cheese is OK.

No bread, rice, pasta, noodles, potatoes or carrot.

I would say it works, because I went from 93 kg to 78 kg. I have gone back to 84 kg, because I love pad thai goong and ice-cream.

Bread, pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes, sweet potatoes and other starches are okay if you aren't covering them with sugar, sauces, butter, high calorie pasta sauce, margarine or deep frying. I've eaten all these foods for over 50 years and have never been more than a couple of extra pounds (for me) over what I weighed when I started, Drinking calories is about the worst thing you can do.

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Vegetarian can be a good diet if they know how to combine foods to get all 8 essential amino acids to promote muscle growth.

Fiber is an essential part of every diet to help the gastro system move foods through. It promotes a healthy gut microbiota and makes sure food doesn't stay in the intestines too long, constipation being a byproduct of slow evacuation.  It also helps lower cholesterol. MSG isn't bad is taken in small amounts.

vegetarian..  not sustainable without supplementation ..   period

fiber is 100% useless.....  you are overworking your system pushing thru something you can not digest ,,, may as well eat a sponge

saturated fat, is what really keeps things moving ..    and that's part of why we have a gall bladder

cholesteral is essential for a healthy body ..  all your cells / brain / hormones

eat "FATTY" red meat     eggs,,   especially the yolks, fish, seafood .... if you must eat chicken,  make sure you eat the skin

real butter from grass fed cows

please keep an open mind and take a look at the links..   hope you find them interesting

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Bread, pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes, sweet potatoes and other starches are okay if you aren't covering them with sugar, sauces, butter, high calorie pasta sauce, margarine or deep frying. I've eaten all these foods for over 50 years and have never been more than a couple of extra pounds (for me) over what I weighed when I started, Drinking calories is about the worst thing you can do.

It depends on one's genetic inheritance. You may be fortunate in having an efficient metabolism bequeathed to you. My family on both sides has always had to fight weight issues.

You obviously don't understand the pecking order of energy production in the body.

To produce energy, your body burns glucose first in the blood cells. Carbohydrate is next, hydrolysed in the stomach to produce glucose. Fat comes last, burned principally by the liver, but also muscles.

Fructose is more complex, converted to glucose in the liver. However, a diet high in both fructose and fat can interfere with that conversion, and also result in fatty liver disease.

A low-carb diet boils down to something quite simple. If you starve the body of sugars and carbohydrates, the body has to start burning fat to produce energy, and that's when the weight comes off. Of course, that process is aided by exercise.

You should say thank you to your ancestors.