JD Vance is one of the least popular vice-presidential picks this century

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

He did what a lot of young men who were in the same situation did. Student deferments and then a final medical. Can't say as I blame any of them for avoiding that terrible, misbegotten conflict.

Actually, it was his dad who fixed it for him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I opposed the war, but I didn't dodge the draft.

When and where did you serve?

So many folks making fun of Trump staying out of the VN war yet they themselves are of the age of serving. I was 17 when the VN war stopped drafting. Joined the Navy at age 18.

Edited by EVENKEEL

11 hours ago, maesariang said:

He trained for nothing. Wasted the time of everybody.

He and other Cold War Warriors all helped make sure you weren't reduced to ashes.

I suspect though you might be a bit young to remember the Cold War, and your knowledge of the Vietnam War has come from Tropic Thunder.

During the Cold War, American teenagers in Colorado managed to beat off a combined Soviet/Cuban air assault. I'm not certain when Tim Walz joined the Wolverines. Patrick Swayze received the enduring thanks of a nation through multiple movie contracts, until he tragically roundhouse kicked himself. Charlie Sheen got AIDS.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

When and where did you serve?

So many folks making fun of Trump staying out of the VN war yet they themselves are of the age of serving. I was 17 when the VN war stopped drafting. Joined the Navy at age 18.

I was picked pretty high in the draft lottery, but the draft ended before I was actually selected.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Donald Trump appears to be enraged by claims that Fox News hosts cut off the former president's rant over his opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris' Democratic National Convention address.

https://www.indy100.com/viral/donald-trump-jd-vance-rfk-jr

Trump is a drama queen.

I will be glad to see the back of him after the election.

• Like 1

How to lose the Irish vote

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/18/us/politics/vance-immigration-gangs-of-new-york.html

Plus Trump's Brothel owning Grandpa was part of that wave of violent German immigrants.

The film Hamel refers to, was largely a work of fiction, inspired by events. But the plotline shows it is American nativists who lead on the violence.

Very true; how much have Conservatives complained about the welfare families with a bazillion kids. And now "conservatives" think they should be subsidised. So expect a massive expansion of the welfare state to support the choices of Americans to spawn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Wkipedia, the expression "Bull in a china shop" has been superseded by "JD Vance campaigning at a donut shop." 

[Got to see the clip to really appreciate the Emmy-worthy response of the donut shopkeeper. Her "Ok" after JD went through the self-intro spiel, "I'm running for Vice President" is priceless! Never so much contempt and dismissal is packed into 2 syllables, and not one sec did she lose her cool....]

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Went well

GWLuEuxWYAAZi0g?format=jpg&name=small

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/sc-viral-pageant-star-claps-back-jd-vance/article_eb85f2a2-66e2-11ef-8723-eb491138f0b4.html

I definitely went through a period where I was very, very depressed. But I never let anybody see that stuff, except for people I could trust," she said. "I had some very dark moments where I thought about committing suicide. The fact that I have such an amazing family and friends, it really, really helped.

• Like 1

Vance's re-tweet of that South Carolina beauty pageant participant was especially evil.

When asked to comment he did not apologize, but he did flash his trademark smirk and said it was a joke.

What kind of human being makes a joke about a vulnerable young woman.

Way, way beyond weird.

I still contend he gives off serial-killer vibes.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, watthong said:

According to Wkipedia, the expression "Bull in a china shop" has been superseded by "JD Vance campaigning at a donut shop." 

[Got to see the clip to really appreciate the Emmy-worthy response of the donut shopkeeper. Her "Ok" after JD went through the self-intro spiel, "I'm running for Vice President" is priceless! Never so much contempt and dismissal is packed into 2 syllables, and not one sec did she lose her cool....]

I know Valdosta, Georgia on I-75 from multiple trips driving from Atlanta Int'l airport down to Florida and back. Trump won Valdosta/Loundes County 55% to Biden's 43% in 2020.

You'd think Vance's advance team could've found a more receptive spot for JD's I'm-just-folks-like-you donut spot.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I know Valdosta, Georgia on I-75 from multiple trips driving from Atlanta Int'l airport down to Florida and back. Trump won Valdosta/Loundes County 55% to Biden's 43% in 2020.

Sigh, how quick the wheel of fortune turned. In just a matter of a presidential cycle...Oh, how I lonnnnnng for the good old days (wake me up when this is all over!)

35 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

You'd think 'Vance's advance team could've found a more receptive spot for JD's I'm-just-folks-like-you donut spot.

You'd think Vance's advance team would have searched in vain for a more receptive spot for JD's "I'm-just-folks-like-you donut spot." For a bona fide Manchurian candidate like JD, that will be a rare breed to find.

Most folks - even in Valdosta - would possess some redeeming human traits that instantly made them recoil the moment they met /heard JD (see the donut shopkeeper's reaction - one would think she just found a snake in her shop!)

Edited by watthong
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, watthong said:

Most folks - even in Valdosta - would possess some redeeming human traits that instantly made them recoil the moment they met /heard JD (see the donut shopkeeper's reaction - one would think she just found a snake in her shop!)

There were counties along the Georgia-Florida border on both sides that went 80+% for Trump in 2020. They could've found a good ol' boy spot that would've welcomed Vance no matter what even in his suit and tie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/31/2024 at 11:13 AM, bamnutsak said:

Vance's re-tweet of that South Carolina beauty pageant participant was especially evil.

When asked to comment he did not apologize, but he did flash his trademark smirk and said it was a joke.

What kind of human being makes a joke about a vulnerable young woman.

Way, way beyond weird.

I still contend he gives off serial-killer vibes.

More deflection

2 minutes ago, watthong said:

Seriously disturbed mummy issues.......was he not loved by his mummy?

Good idea...... let's get all our kids trained up to murder from a young age.....just what the US needs....more people prepared to murder.

The man is disturbed.....perfect fit with Trump.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Seriously disturbed mummy issues.......was he not loved by his mummy?

Good idea...... let's get all our kids trained up to murder from a young age.....just what the US needs....more people prepared to murder.

The man is disturbed.....perfect fit with Trump.

vanceattack2.jpg

Edited by watthong

• 2 weeks later...

Now we have "cat-less" ladies.

JD Vance repeats baseless claim Haitian immigrants are eating pets as Ohio officials say there is no evidence

Officials in Springfield, Ohio, said Monday they have not received any credible reports of Haitian immigrants abducting and eating pets, despite viral claims on social media that have been amplified by Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance and others. 

References to the claim, which allege Haitian migrants have been eating cats, as well as ducks and geese, have garnered millions of views on X, with Vance's X post racking up 9.2 million views alone, as of Tuesday morning. Vance, the Republican senator for Ohio, said he had previously raised the issue of Haitian immigrants "causing chaos all over Springfield," adding, "Reports now show that people have had their pets abducted and eaten by people who shouldn't be in this country."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baseless-claim-haiti-immigrants-cats-springfield-ohio/

• Like 1