Thai's are the friendliest, good natured, nicest people I've ever met

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

You need to swap those rose tinted glasses for a pair for ray-bans mate!

bob.

42 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Too much of a generalisation.

Plenty of them are selfish, mean, callous, and cheats, especially in Isaarn, just like other countries, but the Thai can add an extra layer of viciousness to it.

Many are very shallow. Even in the sticks, the worst for cheating, lying and stealing are other family members.

It's very rare to get close to them, it takes years and years, They want to know everything about you, whilst telling you nothing about themselves.

Of course there are some wonderful Thais, but let's not get carried away saying that all is fine and dandy in LOS, because long stayers know it isn't.

And for the OP, all is well with drinking with taxi drivers early morning thinking they are your friends, until you make an error or one of them is drunk and decides you have been rude or misunderstands you, then you'll see how friendly they are.

Seen it plenty of times from my days in Pattaya.

Always baulk a bit at these Pattaya-centric topics... they are not Thailand and Thais! 🙂

Yes, there are asses like anywhere, but a simple road trip and breaking down is enough to tell one how generous of spirit the Thais in general are. Been toing and froing for almost 30 years and (putting my own countrymen in the equation), I know who I'd prefer to be surrounded by. Yes it is rare to get close enough to be considered brother material and be in the fold, but--although I'm probably a bit cynical and pessimistic by default--have had some great interactions off of strangers in Thailand. 

Bob, I often like your posts but your response up there is kinda typical of many expats here who have never got out there and properly mixed with the natives but think they know it all. Lighten up, dude.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am sorry I cannot excuse you on this occasion and most other occasions, as your negativity towards Thai people is plain to observe on most topics on the forum, and while accepting you have some supporters who agree with you, I think, maybe I am in the majority who do not! 

Chris, an Englishman in Thailand for more than 20 years that has no problems worthy of mention for just about all Thai people I have ever met.

Good luck with "doing stuff" in the afternoon and "hammering" in the evening.

Well, Chris, here's to hoping that everything remains rosy for you in the land of smiles!

Let me know if/when reality ever slaps you in the face.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Well, Chris, here's to hoping that everything remains rosy for you in the land of smiles!

bob.

puerile commentary as always....

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, bob smith said:

bob.

Thank you for the good wishes.

The negative reality of one occasion I can take - what I wouldn't like would be if your reality of constant Thai harassment became mine!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

sounds like you live in a classy neighborhood     ....    lucky guy    !

When I moved to the neighbourhood a few decades ago these nightclubs were not there but over the years nightclubs like Xzyte and others closed down and these clubs moved in.

They are not really a bother, it's only annoying at times when taking the kids to school, it becomes an obstacle course, avoiding the drunks on the road.

Saying that it is still the most sort after area for housing in the city. 

Location, location, location. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you can get help for that Joseph.  

Yeah, it's called not logging in to AN. And thankfully I don't read a lot on here.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Haha 2

A reported post and all replies to it has been removed.

Rule 28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I'm not a very helpful person, I'm a beer drinking person. 

But I'm sure if you were dragged away from your safe zone behind your keyboard you would have been there helping. 

You'd probably get in the way, create havoc and chaos. 

And you call yourself SAFETY FIRST what a joke, drinking at that hour, I wouldn't want to work with you.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Thank you for the good wishes.

The negative reality of one occasion I can take - what I wouldn't like would be if your reality of constant Thai harassment became mine!

Three people are confused; My sentence above was badly written.

I have had a few bad experiences with Thai people (two girlfriends in particular) and, yes, that was a reality. However, these random experiences are not enough to cloud my judgement over my general impressions and experiences with Thai people as a whole: those I know and all those I have encountered during normal daily life!

The above comment is about the contrast between Bob and I, as his experiences are the opposite of mine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, proton said:

Drunk at 7am? you need help, not the tart in the road

And for 28 days straight, an alcoholic called safety-first  working off shore I presume on rigs  ...    😱  :burp:    (if in fact that is true.)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Don't bother trying to explain what offshore work is about. Working 12+ hrs a day for 28 days straight. Away from family. Isn't a lifestyle many are familiar with.

Then. come home to family only for them to see you drunk every day at 7am ?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My posting does come across as if I have a drinking problem but I work offshore on rotation, I only drink for my 28 days off. 

I have a big family, I don't have many friends (Thai or foreign), but the friends I have are of quality and are good people. 

I think the negativity on AN forums regarding members having Thai male friends maybe because most members here may only know the uneducated Somchai's. 

I've worked with many Thai's (male and female) offshore Songkhla and in Singapore, I have only good, positive comments for these people. 

Speaking of your uneducated Somchais

I see your point, and the Bolt drivers you drink with, and get drunk with, very early in the morning are well-educated then?

I'd love to know which universities they attended.

You only drink on your 28 days off because you can't drink on offshore rigs, can you?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1