Immigration and the New Government

Another post contravening the following forum rule has been removed:

17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our  forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article, then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly.

5 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Thaksin, since you'll be running the government ... please reform the Marriage Visa. I've been here for 40 years (38 years married to a Thai) and I still have to renew the visa annually. The process at Imm. takes an hour each year as the same information as last year has to be typed into a computer while the Officer is interrupted many times, and this usually spreads over their lunch hour so I have to wait an hour extra. Then the Imm. Police come to my home and ask for some of the same information and take the same photographs I have provided before asking the neighbours if we live in the house. Then we have to wait a month for approval, which we drive an hour to get from the provincial Imm. office. The system is making you and your fellows look like idiots.

• Agree 1

Very true and yes it may only take an hour but that's not the point, if I took my wife to live in UK for 5 years she would get a British passport after applying. Why they cannot do similar her, obviously without a passport as that would never happen, is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Was planning on heading over that way my next vaccation.  Hope things don't change to fast. Or I will be bypassing Thailand.

Why, were you planning a vacation of more than 90 days ?

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

"Shock Resignation", thought we was kicked out to make room for another Thaksin clone?

Resignation/Sacked means the same in Thailand, it just depends your status.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

When challenged about multiple admissions, the foreign affairs ministry spokesman said that, of course, all entries to Thailand were subject to the discretion of the immigration officer. In other words, you would never be sure what might happen further down the line. One tourist might be refused, whilst another might be hassle-free, a scenario which would create the bad publicity which the Thai government abhors.

It's not that Thai Government abhors bad publicity, they just flap their gums without any idea of the potential consequences , nor do they care so long as money flows  into their pockets.

9 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Whatever is decided, it will take time.

You don't really know Thailand or have a short memory! 2019? The 400k/800k rule was almost immediately brought in. I had lived in Thailand for over 8 years, built a house etc then came this gem over night! With the rumours of compolsory health insurance.  Anyone willing to print a target on their backs when Thais were known to be tortured bank accounts emptied then murdered for a meer 100k baht. No thank you.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

This worked well during Mr T. years. Emphasis on education by native English teachers most of whom had to use monthly border hops as schools did not want to spend on work permits. Coincidentally during this time Thailand was climbing the English proficiency ladder. Everything change with the coup!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

IMHO everything is clear for 2024: remittance during 2024 of any money earned in 2024 is income. Then the DTA, if any, applies. But you may need to go to court to claim your tax credit.

The wise would avoid any to remit any money earned after Dec 31, 2023 for the next couple of years. And get an LTR if they can. Maybe recruit a good tax accountant.

The wise would not want to reside in the dump for over 180 days 🤣😂

Edited by Toby1947
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Obama runs America and Taskin runs Thailand. There is no democracy in either country. 

Whilst there might be a case to argue for Thailand in respect of Thaksin’s influence, your assertion about America is totally devoid of any factual foundation.

However, enjoy your conspiracy theories if it makes you feel better and helps you sleep at night.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

The wise would not want to reside in the dump for over 180 days 🤣😂

That's true too, but I got an LTR visa. When that's lost they'll see the back of me. If I am not too close to death at that stage, in which case the wife will have to pay the tax on her widow's pension. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

IMHO everything is clear for 2024: remittance during 2024 of any money earned in 2024 is income. Then the DTA, if any, applies. But you may need to go to court to claim your tax credit.

The wise would avoid any to remit any money earned after Dec 31, 2023 for the next couple of years. And get an LTR if they can. Maybe recruit a good tax accountant.

Maybe they are realizing that expats are no longer buying any homes in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, renaissanc said:

The system is making you and your fellows look like idiots.

You are wrong. The system is there to remind you and every other expat that they are only in Thailand on a temporary basis.

Permanent residency is quite different and can be fairly expensive and problematic in most countries, almost impossible for a Thai in the UK.

People should be thankful there is such a system in place, however frustrating it may be.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg
The resignation of Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is set to have wide-ranging impacts, while the incoming Paetongtarn Shinawatra administration may find the more liberal immigration and visa policies quite challenging to implement.

EDITORIAL

By Pattaya Mai

The shock resignation of prime minister Srettha Thavisin is bound to reverberate in all sorts of directions. But it’s virtually certain that the new Pheu Thai-led administration will get round to immigration and visas sooner rather than later.

Mr Thavisin’s vision was to expand massively the entry and extension opportunities for visa-exempt tourists, whilst creating a new visa for long-stayers with a lawful activity in mind. But the foreign affairs ministry, which pushed through the changes in Cabinet, may have bitten off more than the new government can chew.

The latest rule allows visa-exempt tourists to receive 60 days on arrival with a 30 days’ extension at local immigration. Nothing in print prevents these tourists from leaving the country – for example on a border hop – and repeating the procedure indefinitely. That would mean a permanent leave to remain in Thailand, without any visa, simply by briefly leaving the country – even for an hour or two – four times a year. No need to show any paperwork of any kind.

When challenged about multiple admissions, the foreign affairs ministry spokesman said that, of course, all entries to Thailand were subject to the discretion of the immigration officer. In other words, you would never be sure what might happen further down the line. One tourist might be refused, whilst another might be hassle-free, a scenario which would create the bad publicity which the Thai government abhors. The obvious solution is for the incoming Thai government to limit entries under the visa-exempt scheme to one or two in any twelve months’ period.

Full story: PATTAYA MAIL 2024-08-19

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Editorial by what seems to be a grumpy expat. No insight or news here. 

Edited by Aviatorhi

9 hours ago, Homburg said:

Speculation, not news.  Wake me when something actually happens.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

How about money in the Thai bank for visa - 800,000 to one million baht and 400,000 to 500,00 baht!

11 hours ago, Artisi said:

"Shock Resignation", thought we was kicked out to make room for another Thaksin clone?

It was all planned in advance. Putting her too early in power would have been far too Obvious.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg
The resignation of Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is set to have wide-ranging impacts, while the incoming Paetongtarn Shinawatra administration may find the more liberal immigration and visa policies quite challenging to implement.

EDITORIAL

By Pattaya Mai

The shock resignation of prime minister Srettha Thavisin is bound to reverberate in all sorts of directions. But it’s virtually certain that the new Pheu Thai-led administration will get round to immigration and visas sooner rather than later.

Mr Thavisin’s vision was to expand massively the entry and extension opportunities for visa-exempt tourists, whilst creating a new visa for long-stayers with a lawful activity in mind. But the foreign affairs ministry, which pushed through the changes in Cabinet, may have bitten off more than the new government can chew.

The latest rule allows visa-exempt tourists to receive 60 days on arrival with a 30 days’ extension at local immigration. Nothing in print prevents these tourists from leaving the country – for example on a border hop – and repeating the procedure indefinitely. That would mean a permanent leave to remain in Thailand, without any visa, simply by briefly leaving the country – even for an hour or two – four times a year. No need to show any paperwork of any kind.

When challenged about multiple admissions, the foreign affairs ministry spokesman said that, of course, all entries to Thailand were subject to the discretion of the immigration officer. In other words, you would never be sure what might happen further down the line. One tourist might be refused, whilst another might be hassle-free, a scenario which would create the bad publicity which the Thai government abhors. The obvious solution is for the incoming Thai government to limit entries under the visa-exempt scheme to one or two in any twelve months’ period.

Full story: PATTAYA MAIL 2024-08-19

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Why are you so concerned about border hop? Do you know the actual figures? I can tell you the figures and if the government act on these few people than they should set the priority right.  

"In other words, you would never be sure what might happen further down the line. One tourist might be refused, whilst another might be hassle-free, a scenario which would create the bad publicity which the Thai government abhors."

Exactly what happens in Immigration Offices up and down the country, where one I.O. has one interpretation of the rules and another one in the same office has a different one. 

As I have mentioned before, is it not time that I.O.'s were not given a "hymnbook/rulebook," so that they should all be "singing the same tune"? Actually, there is a set of rules, but they are interpreted in different ways, hence the frustration that many ex pats in particular feel when applying for an annual extension.

Maybe the new Government may care to look at this situation when they "get round to immigration and visas sooner rather than later."?

7 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

Thaksin hates drugs. Just saying!

No, he doesn't. What he hates is economic power that he doesn't have a share in and cannot control. Everybody remembers his war on drugs during his first tenure. Nobody remembers his war on the underground lottery, after which he decided to nationalise the numbers game and put himself as the one controlling all the revenue.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

That would mean a permanent leave to remain in Thailand

of course, all entries to Thailand were subject to the discretion of the immigration officer. In other words, you would never be sure what might happen further down the line.

That isn't permanent leave to remain in Thailand then.

• Like 1

Biden said he would not try for president again,In other words he was told too old you got to go.The thai pm was asked nicely too please leave you have a nice pay off or pension plan now.My daughter needs a good job that she can do things i need so enjoy your new life

According to this article it is taken for granted that there will be some changes. Apparently  someone  is eager to see the return of the  restrictions that we seen when this young lady's father ruled the nation. Well I tell them to stay calm and serene and to take a few drops of tranquilizer

5 hours ago, BritScot said:

You don't really know Thailand or have a short memory! 2019? The 400k/800k rule was almost immediately brought in. I had lived in Thailand for over 8 years, built a house etc then came this gem over night! With the rumours of compolsory health insurance.  Anyone willing to print a target on their backs when Thais were known to be tortured bank accounts emptied then murdered for a meer 100k baht. No thank you.

I had to have 800k in 2009 until I changed over to 400k a year later, what are you referring to in 2019?

Tortured and emptied bank accounts passed me by also.

17 hours ago, Artisi said:

What shock, my wife has been saying fort the past 3 weeks that he will get ousted ,she gets her news from the Thai TV, so others must have known. 

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Ludicrous statement..........all entries to Thailand must be subject to the policies laid down by the Thai government......not the vagaries of an individual immigration officer.

Have not read any of the comments in the last 10-15 years on here.  It is down to each individual IO,  always has been.  they're a law unto themselves

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2024 at 5:54 AM, webfact said:

The shock resignation of prime minister Srettha Thavisin is bound to reverberate in all sorts of directions.

Resign?? Or, like Humpty Dumpty, was he pushed?

On 8/19/2024 at 12:30 AM, renaissanc said:

Thaksin, since you'll be running the government ... please reform the Marriage Visa. I've been here for 40 years (38 years married to a Thai) and I still have to renew the visa annually. The process at Imm. takes an hour each year as the same information as last year has to be typed into a computer while the Officer is interrupted many times, and this usually spreads over their lunch hour so I have to wait an hour extra. Then the Imm. Police come to my home and ask for some of the same information and take the same photographs I have provided before asking the neighbours if we live in the house. Then we have to wait a month for approval, which we drive an hour to get from the provincial Imm. office. The system is making you and your fellows look like idiots.

Next extension, try a retirement extension.