Foreign cyclist severely injured after being hit by Phuket Airport taxi

snoop1130

What a lot of people do not realise about Thais is that 70-80% of them suffer from Myopia, whereas in Europe the numbers are about 30%.  Plus Thais have an eyesight (like most SEAsian people) that has evolved over thousands of years whereby they do not see well in poor light.  Have you seen how small their writing is??  Thai drivers are dangerous because of their driving behaviours (mostly males) and their very poor vision.  Add to that the prevalence of very dark windscreen tints, and of course a total lack of policing, and you have a disaster that is occurring every year.  Anyone riding a bike in Thailand is taking a huge risk - up to you/them - but it is what it is and denial of that is total stupidity.  Yes there are 'safer' ways to do it - and there are 'safer' places to d it - but it is a huge risk - up to you, but dont deny it. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sorry to hear that.....     Maybe the helmet could have made a difference - too late now and I doubt any other around will learn.

In Laws recently had an accident - Small impact, Airbags went off...  FiL injured... no seatbelt. 

It was the Airbag that hurt him.....

I've been telling them for years to wear an airbag....  but nope.... they sit 'on' the seatbelt (done up) to stop the car dinging....   they refuse to listen. 

Ironically, when they get in my car, they put the seatbelt on automatically, as I refuse to move until they do so.

So... tonight... first time we've seen them since the accident - FiL wants to show me his injuries...  I asked him if he was wearing a seatbelt - Nope... I don't him the injuries are his own fault then... later on they leave and get in their new car...  Nope... no seatbelt - not chance of them doing that... 

Lovely people - but eff me.... for the life of me I cannot understand how educated and seemingly intelligent people can be so obtuse.

Helmets are relatively cheap. Don't understand why they don't wear them. Wifely called in last night and we could hear the wailing. Terrible

1 hour ago, Roo Island said:

Helmets are relatively cheap. Don't understand why they don't wear them. Wifely called in last night and we could hear the wailing. Terrible

Its a completely cultural thing... 

We rock up at our school each morning...  high end Mercedes S Classes, BMW 7 Series, Alphards... the full on 'hi-So' ensemble of vehicles....      Its only the 'Western kids' or 'Half Thai - Half Western' kids who we see using 'Car seats'...      

... Money is clearly not an issue...   But most of the kids are not even in seat-belts. 

Its not an education thing, as the parents (many of whom we know and are friends with) were educated overseas, know the rules, know why etc... yet they won't use a car seat and don't enforce their kids to wear seatbelts.... 

It astonishes me....   One of them is even still nuts about Covid spraying their kids down with antimicrobial spray, hands, tables, seats etc...   but seat-belts - no, not even a through given, even after we mention it....

The potentail for completely avoidable tragedy and heartbreak is seemingly invisible to many - this facet of life here astonishes me as they really have no excuse for this level of disregard for the safety of their children. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

You seem unable to distinguish anger from frustration.

You aslo seem to have trouble with the phrase safer in many ways. Note that it does not mean much safer as you stated. 

I have ridden in many places around the world, and thailand is not the horroshow for cyclists people make it out to be. In fact, with so many food carts, utility bikes with (saelangs) and just plain motorcycle traffic on the road by day thai drivers are very aware of cyclists.

That said I rarely ride at night here and when I do am crazy cautious, and glow like the sun with head and tail lights.

On my last trip to the US, I was shocked at how many vehicles squeezed me, shouted abuse or screamed past me with only  inches to spare. Morons yelling get on the sidewalk when the law is clear that I have a legal right to a lane and the sidewalk is a no go.

As for your question, The majority of my riding takes place in and around Bangkok and environs.

Surface routes like rama 3 over the river to prapadeng and bang krachao, riding every bridge and overpass I can find to get some elevation.

I'm also do a wide rama3, rama 2, bangkhunthian chai tallay loop that hits bangkok, samut sakorn and samut prakan. 

Other routes include petchburi and patanakarn/onnut to skylane at the airport. 

Or rama 4 onnut to nong bon lake. 

I also regularly ride out to ayuthaya, 

Average speeds range from 25-34 kmh depending on traffic. Top speeds around 50 kmh in the city coming off bridges or over passes. On flat I generally hold 29-30 kmh

Average weekly ride is 200-300 kmh. Most of my rides are between 50 and 100 km. 

OK, so you aren't claiming Thailand is safe.  You are simply stating it is safe in some ways.  Not sure what that means but whatever.  I rarely have cycled in the conditions you mostly cycle in and have no idea how safe it is but would be surprised if it compared to the safety on American roads.  

Strange, how you are yelled at so often in America.  I never have been yelled at other than teenagers having fun.  Are you driving on the left side of the road? 

Some of what you mentioned above is why cycling is so great.  Food everywhere and so many great places to take a break.  Not so in America.