30 Year Old Painter Falls to His Death from 49th Floor of High-Rise Building

Georgealbert

IMG_4626.png

On August 20, at approximately 14:30, police officer Lt. Sompop Khemakanok from Phra Khanong Police Station received a report of a fatal fall at a building in Soi Sukhumvit 64/2, Phra Khanong District, Bangkok.

The victim, identified as Mr. Sayale Sian, a 30 year old painter from Laos, had been working on the exterior of a 49-story building under renovation. Witnesses reported that Mr. Sayale had been rappelling down from the 49th floor to paint the building when an accident occurred. It is suspected that the safety equipment and rope securing him had shifted, possibly due to his negligence, causing him to fall to his death.

Upon arrival authorities found Mr. Sayale’s body in a garden area beside the building. His body had sustained severe trauma from the fall. The Lao embassy has been notified, and arrangements are being made for his family to receive the body for funeral rites in Laos.

An investigation into the incident is currently ongoing.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-21

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 10

10 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

possibly due to his negligence

Or not. No grounds to raise such excuse. I hope the police take the equipment into evidence for adequacy for safety.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

Maybe the people employing them should ensure they are completely trained in the safety equipment.

Assuming there was adequate safety equipment. 

You don't know anything about the work conditions in Thailand.
This is not a "highly developped country" like most countries in the west.
Workers need to buy their own safety and work utensils in Thailand.
Nothing is provided by the employer in most cases.
Compare it tot the USA where people were making a living walking on beams in a skyscraper without safety.

Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper_-_Charles_Clyde_Ebbets.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Most definitely but they are not idiots, just guys trying to earn a living

Who was checking the safety equipment? Like the second backup should the main suspension fail.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

You don't know anything about the work conditions in Thailand.
This is not a "highly developped country" like most countries in the west.
Workers need to buy their own safety and work utensils in Thailand.
Nothing is provided by the employer in most cases.
Compare it tot the USA where people were making a living walking on beams in a skyscraper without safety.

Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper_-_Charles_Clyde_Ebbets.jpg

Actually I do, I've been travelling and living in Thailand for 40 years, hence the last sentence. 

Many employers now do provide safety equipment, not all I agree. 

Either way they can be held responsible for his death.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Either way they can be held responsible for his death.

Sure, and the punishment will be 10 years in prison OR a 100 baht fine.
Mostly it will be the later ....

TIT

43 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Sure, and the punishment will be 10 years in prison OR a 100 baht fine.
Mostly it will be the later ....

TIT

It will be pathetically low without doubt.

Especially as he's not Thai.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Watching these idiots working in this manner is terrifying...I'm sure this guy isn't the first!

These guys are heroes.Doing an honest job for ruthless bosses instead of turning to criminality.Thailand is a tough place to work for these guys.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

These guys are heroes.Doing an honest job for ruthless bosses instead of turning to criminality.Thailand is a tough place to work for these guys.

I would not call them heroes. They are desperate and desperate people do anything they can to accomplish what they are trying to do. The Thais take advantage of that constantly. I wonder if he even had a safety harness on. It does not say if the rope broke. Only that it shifted. The site should be checked by a safety council and appropriate fines for failing to provide safety measures dolled out. Or revoke their permits to do the job. 

come on those people are fearless

in my moo baan, building all the luxury houses of 25-99 million baht, on the roof, no strings attached, literally...

paid peanuts, profits to the usual suspects

my common fees, when the moo baan management threw it upon every separate phase, increased in 18 months to 75% more expensive...  the slave labors cleaning the streets, gardening, trash collection, security guards, they did not get an increase, but the manager comes to work or visit, in a brand new sporty mercedes...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Who was checking the safety equipment? Like the second backup should the main suspension fail.

I totally agree but just look at many building sites, no protective equipment. Safety is only something they put on posters but don't enforce it.

• Like 2

Spiderman, as the woman who I think was his boss called him.   Dangling from a rope about 5/8 inch thick, painting the sides of a condo building.   Building has about 32 floors of condominiums.   From the top probably about 34 or 35 floors tall. 

Video made on Aug 20, 2024. 

Edited by radiochaser

I see this often at my Apt  building.  We only have 5 stories but I see t workers on the roof painting and sometimes another worker will hold him by the wais as the painter reaches over the ledge.   So far no one has gone flying without a parachute.  Of course they were painiting after hours of rain. TIT. 

On 8/22/2024 at 5:55 AM, thesetat2013 said:

I would not call them heroes. They are desperate and desperate people do anything they can to accomplish what they are trying to do. The Thais take advantage of that constantly. I wonder if he even had a safety harness on. It does not say if the rope broke. Only that it shifted. The site should be checked by a safety council and appropriate fines for failing to provide safety measures dolled out. Or revoke their permits to do the job. 

Surprisingly, Thailand does have a Health & Safety Council. I couldn't see if they have any legal or enforcement powers though.

https://www.tosh.or.th/TOSH-EN/index.php/about-us

The other scary looking one for me used to be the bamboo scaffolding.

Edited by phetphet

On 8/22/2024 at 1:02 PM, Photoguy21 said:

I totally agree but just look at many building sites, no protective equipment. Safety is only something they put on posters but don't enforce it.

I was a bricklayer for 45 years.Scaffolding with 2 safety rails,6 scaff boards wide and a loading bay for the forklift.The boys here have balls of steel.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

I was a bricklayer for 45 years.Scaffolding with 2 safety rails,6 scaff boards wide and a loading bay for the forklift.The boys here have balls of steel.

They certainly dont seem to have a fear of heights that is for sure.