How Can I Obtain Cat8 cable in Thailand? But must be reliable!

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then:  You ARE using Cat8 cable! I prefer Cat8, but some here are trying to talk me down to Cat6.  I figure, installation cost of drilling holes in walls, and also conduit, are quite a bit more expensive than paying a little extra for Cat8.  And, I want faster speed between several desktops. I hate using WIFI, and always have.

Re: your 50 devices...  As you know, due to reasons of numerology, I prefer numbers with one or more 5-ves.  I do not have many devices or connection points, simply because I do not have my refrigerator and toaster, etc, hooked up to the network.  Basically, I just have 4 desktops plus an old laptop, with lousy WIFI onboard, plus two phones, and several air purifiers that need connecting by WIFI.  I will also have one standalone cabinet for HDDs that need to be connected by Ethernet.

So, mostly I just want faster transfer speeds for the desktops and for the HDDs, for backup, etc.

Sort of like this...

I am very old school, and old in the tooth.

So, I have always used Ethernet for connections of high-resolution laser printers, and everything else.

I love Ethernet.

Re: Length of cable....

I guess the longest run will be about 15 meters.

I don't want to use patch cables from UGREEN, and already have several that I purchased about 4 years ago... I do like UGREEN quality, for sure, however....

however?

Bulk cable from Belkin, Comscope, USCable and a few others. Yes, almost all the cable is made in Asia. The difference is in the QC and manufacture.  CAT8 is a little more difficult to handle for turns and a little more finicky to terminate correctly. Either way, if you are paying someone to install, make sure they have the equipment to verify the installation meets the frequency and signal loss specs for either.  CAT6 should easily handle 10Gbit/s bandwidth for your distances and is easier to handle. CAT8 will if installed correctly. I would pull and terminate 2 cables per run since the cost is not much more. 

Otherwise, just get pre-made patch cables from Belkin or other and surface mount cable panduit. Easy to replace if one goes bad or you want to upgrade.

Realistically, for home use, it’s tough to saturate 1Gbit/s .

Edited by degrub
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

for what reasons do want cabled lan ?

I easily do everything I need over wifi, music and youtube out by the pool 30m away from my router is no issue.

It is rather difficult to run PoE security cameras over WiFi isn’t it? It is rather difficult to have a significant UPS setup that powers cameras over 70 meters away with WiFi as well. 

So the simple CCTV uninterruptible setup with around 100 meters of cable, 8 cameras, a 2TB hard disk and a 24v 8 hour runtime UPS that has survived numerous power cuts and is extremely difficult to block via jamming, all needs Ethernet.

That doesn’t address the numerous IoT devices that mean several WiFi networks are required to avoid the net dropping to the pace of an arthritic slug.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

t is rather difficult to run PoE security cameras over WiFi isn’t it? It is rather difficult to have a significant UPS setup that powers cameras over 70 meters away with WiFi as well. 

No, concerning CCTV cameras.

I used Panasonic CCTV cameras, back in the day, when I needed them.

All were connected via Ethernet, from my recollection.

On 8/23/2024 at 5:40 AM, Gsxrnz said:

Try this supplier.

UGREEN (NW153) Cat 8 RJ45 40Gbps 2000Mhz High Speed Ethernet Network Cable - Ugreen Thailand

But chances are they probably bought the stuff from China on Lazada. :coffee1:

Love UGreen cables. Not the cheapest but they work every time, are durable and are very pretty.

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Love UGreen cables. Not the cheapest but they work every time, are durable and are very pretty.

Yes.

I still have some that I purchased 4 years ago.

But, they do get dusty....

46 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

However, I just want cable WITHOUT the connectors.

Sorry....

My local electrical supply shop in Udon supplied mine, if you have a good supply shop they will carry, or be able to order, any quality and quantity you want.

The exterior cable is the kind used by the PEA and has a steel support wire incorporated into the insulation.

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.cca8441a51de121905e767d6a31d8c90.jpeg

though is it now technically a Cat 7? 😉 

having cabled up with Cat 6 both interior and exterior, it was difficult enough Cat 8 is a whole different and more difficult job

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My local electrical supply shop in Udon supplied mine, if you have a good supply shop they will carry, or be able to order, any quality and quantity you want.

The exterior cable is the kind used by the PEA and has a steel support wire incorporated into the insulation.

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.cca8441a51de121905e767d6a31d8c90.jpeg

though is it now technically a Cat 7? 😉 

having cabled up with Cat 6 both interior and exterior, it was difficult enough Cat 8 is a whole different and more difficult job

You seem to have a cat helper.

I love cats.

Always have...

Always will.

There is this one black cat that comes by, quite often, to sleep in my garden.

This is the  thing I have to look forward to, during the week.

Cats and Myna birds are amazing.

I love them both.

But, they often do not go well together.

Note:  Is this cat not missing part of it's tail?  Or, is this just a problem with the image you have uploaded here?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

steel support wire incorporated into the insulation

Yes.

I will choose this type.

Also, does this not also provide shielding?

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The Cat 1 was born with a very kinked and virtually non existent tail.

Thankfully this cat was not euthanized due to just his minor deformity....

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:
8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

steel support wire incorporated into the insulation

Yes.

I will choose this type.

Also, does this not also provide shielding?

No shielding. It is a mild steel wire and is incorporated above the Cat 6 into the exterior grade plastic sheath .it is only really useful for over air exterior runs. It would be a bear to work with if you try it in a house and of no benefit. Exterior grade will be difficult enough, and though I think pointless may hold up better but inside it would only be rodent damage and I have no idea if the sheathing is more or less tasty.

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thankfully this cat was not euthanized due to just his minor deformity....

I think that it was because of this that SWMBO decided he was our 3rd beasty.

about 2 years ago

IMG_1212.thumb.jpeg.a794278aa18b55b64a3d20503a71cfee.jpeg
and all 3 a year ago

IMG_1213.thumb.jpeg.a81b42fadf3a43c567f21014e4d67518.jpeg

and almost now

IMG_1214.thumb.jpeg.f1a7a0d34931efe8b92e9757ec0d37a1.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Love It 1

27 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I think that it was because of this that SWMBO decided he was our 3rd beasty.

about 2 years ago

IMG_1212.thumb.jpeg.a794278aa18b55b64a3d20503a71cfee.jpeg
and all 3 a year ago

IMG_1213.thumb.jpeg.a81b42fadf3a43c567f21014e4d67518.jpeg

and almost now

IMG_1214.thumb.jpeg.f1a7a0d34931efe8b92e9757ec0d37a1.jpeg

Definitely KEEPERS....

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Lower latency.

Also, as I mentioned, there are many repeated problems with the WIFI from my router, at least here in this area.

3BB replaced router twice already.

It's just not stable.

And, my motherboard offers WIFI 6E, so it is not the computer.

Also, for networking....

I want higher transfer speeds, up to 2Gbps.....

So, LAN network is better when faster.

If you care for latency enough to fork over CAT8 wiring to your whole house or whatever you perceived to offer better speed, yet use ISP supplied router? buy a decent router

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

If you care for latency enough to fork over CAT8 wiring to your whole house or whatever you perceived to offer better speed, yet use ISP supplied router? buy a decent router

Would 3BB give me a discount if I used my own router?

And, would they service it?

Probably not.

Best way to go:  Ethernet

Forget the WIFI...IMHO...

Why do I need WIFI...anyway????

FWIW, I recently built a new home and ran CAT6 into every room. Also ran neutral wires into every outlet and switch. I have a central server room with a router, modem, NAS, UPS, and other devices. CAT8 is absolute overkill unless you are constantly transferring a tremendous volume of data from one server to another server. Running CAT8 from your router to a laptop is ridiculous, as your router can't supply enough data to saturate a CAT6, let alone CAT8. And for most laptops network adapters, even CAT6 is overkill. But you do you.

But if you want to have fun playing with your network, however, I'd highly recommend you check out Home Assistant and make your home "smart". If you are familiar with Apple HomeKit or Google Home, it's like that, but on steroids. Pretty much any device can be made smart these days, one way or another. It is a deep dive and a steep learning curve tho. You can create fully customized dashboards to control all the devices in your house, even when you are not at home. I've also started building custom ESP32 hardware into the mix, which is great fun if you're a retired IT nerd like myself, but these are definitely not necessary. HA can also integrate into your home security system, such as IP cameras.

Best of all, it's free open source, it doesn't care if you are an Apple or Google or Alexa household. And the hardware relays you need are super cheap - like 3 to 5 dollars on average and you can buy them on Lazada or AliEx. This is a really cheap hobby, your wife will surely approve, especially when she sees the benefits of it. You can install Home Assistant via Docker on your NAS, or if you have an old PC you don't use, that will do. Cheap NUCs also work fine too, like a Raspberry Pi or Beelink Mini S12.

Just for example, we have automations which :

• Opens the front gate just before arriving home
  • Unlocks the front door once we approach it
  • Turns any light or lamp in the house on and off, either based on time, sun, or PIR
  • Tests the soil dryness and turns on the water sprinklers if it gets too dry
  • Turns fans around the house on and off depending on the temperature
  • Does a routine check of the house before sleep - turns off all lamps and fans, checks if any windows and doors are open, and alerts us if something isn't right
  • If someone turns on the AC, it will notify if any windows in that room are open
  • Alerts for open windows and doors anytime someone locks the front door
  • Motion sensor detects where someone is sitting/sleeping and turns on/off devices as desired
  • Checks for a water leaks under the sink (we have some dodgy pipes attached to a water filter)
  • Raises the blinds in the house when the bedroom door is first opened in the morning
  • Everything is voice responsive - you can "Hey Siri" to control anything in the house
  • It outputs TTS to smart speakers located around the house to alert us of any issues

Edited by clokwise

28 minutes ago, clokwise said:

you can "Hey Siri"

Fine, but this is one utterance that I shall never utter.

I guess you know that I hate Apple.

"Hey, Siri....GFY-S, is more like it...."

Not just a little....either.

I have a deep-seated hatred for all Authoritarian Systems....like Apple.

(Otherwise,....very nice post!)

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Fine, but this is one utterance that I shall never utter.

I guess you know that I hate Apple.

"Hey, Siri....GFY-S, is more like it...."

That's the beauty of Home Assistant, it doesn't care, you can use whatever voice assistant device you want, or none at all. You can even add-on your own open source voice assistant which is fully customizable and is fully local, not cloud based. In fact, if you hate cloud based devices, HA can operate these devices locally (with a few exceptions like my Samsung SmartThings ACs), but the community behind HA is working to make everything 'local' without any internet connection.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Would 3BB give me a discount if I used my own router?

And, would they service it?

Probably not.

Best way to go:  Ethernet

Forget the WIFI...IMHO...

Why do I need WIFI...anyway????

AIS (now owns 3BB) 

has BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) plan, 2gbps down 1gbps up, no router, no tv box 1299 a month vs 1399 for plans with 'free' router

no they won't service your router, you are expect to know what you're doing with your own equipment

if you have enough traffic to saturate ethernet to require cat8 in the first place, the ISP supplied router likely won't hold up and require constant reboot, is that happening already? 

plus I don't think any ISP supplied router has multiple 2.5gbps ethernet ports yet, so all you're getting is 1gbps, any ethernet cable will handle that 

• Thumbs Up 1