Danish Expat Risks Prison in Thailand Over Lost Car Incident

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have encountered some foreign guys in LOS younger than this guy who were "losing" it.  I know this one guy at the gym from the US who was at the time 61.  Often we were having converstaions and he would constantly forget what were talking about.  He must have asked for my email address 10 times and I never got an email from him.  I suggested he see a doctor about his cognitive decline but he dismissed me promptly.  Also, I ran into him at Central Festival recently and he had no idea who I was.

Fair point - they do exist - but usually that comes from over use of drugs and/or alcohol. Sad really.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Parked the motorbike down walking street one night many years ago, forgot where I parked it after drinking a dozen beers. 

Had to go back the next day. 

It's not a good feeling. 

I'm 60 in January and have been living back in the UK for quite a while now, I quite often forget where I've parked the car.

• Sad 1

Only a problem of people with enough money to buy and hold a car. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

No problem for people like me with only a small motorcycle. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 555555ๆ

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Parked the motorbike down walking street one night many years ago, forgot where I parked it after drinking a dozen beers. 

Rookie mistake. When I first moved to Thailand my spiritual mentor taught me to always park the motorbike in the same spot when I go to the party zone at night. Sage advice which has endured over the decades 😁

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He has not even been to court yet, and I doubt any jail time would come from the case. Sensational Headline though.

He has been to court and charged.  Presumably currently on bail. Regardless of hopefully a not guilty verdict the stress and legal costs from incorrect police action must be a worry to him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope this man manages to unwind himself from the lost/stolen car situation. 

That should not be difficult.

Reminds me of a case of a woman reporting het car stolen from Gatwick Airport. After some investigation they found her car where she had left it at Heathrow Airport.

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, jippytum said:

He has been to court and charged.  Presumably currently on bail. Regardless of hopefully a not guilty verdict the stress and legal costs from incorrect police action must be a worry to him. 

A link to your statement please. I hope he sues the cops. 

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite searching the area thoroughly the next day with the help of a tuk-tuk driver, he failed to locate it and reported the situation to the local police for assistance.

Where was His Wife..?

Upon revisiting the police with three officers, they strangely directed him far from the suspected parking area, eventually growing agitated and accusing him of lying. Consequently, they charged him with perjury and coercively made him sign documents he scarcely understood.

Where was His Wife...?

The police continued to hound him, even accusing him of planning insurance fraud worth one million baht (about £22,000).

Where was His Wife...?

His unsatisfactory legal representation and language barriers worsened his predicament, leading to a conviction and the looming threat of prison.

Where was His Wife...?

Either They are separated, Divorced, or something is seriously amiss.

• Confused 2

If Søren was Australian, the Australian Embassy staff would have dealt with this matter quickly before it went to court. I expect that the Danish Embassy is as useless as the UK Embassy when you need help.

• Confused 5
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Strange tory... he is being jailed for something not happened.. he claimed he lost his car but withdrew it so nothing happened.. and why put everybody in jail?? Thailand doesn't know other sentences??

He's not in jail.  Neither is "everybody" else.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Maybe this would help?

"AirTag is a super easy way to keep track of your stuff. Attach one to your keys, slip another in your backpack."

My thoughts exactly! Apple Air Tags will show you exactly, within a few meters, where it is! 

13 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Where was His Wife..?

Where was His Wife...?

Where was His Wife...?

Where was His Wife...?

Either They are separated, Divorced, or something is seriously amiss.

He may still have a barrier even with his wife. How many Thai's do you know that know how to speak fluent Danish?

• Sad 1

Parked at Schipol a few years ago.....my floor in the multi-story was....I hate my mother in law*.

Found the car after four weeks away no problem.

* All the floors were give crazy monika's so you would remember on which floor you parked....🙄

Edited by Will B Good
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously, one should know what you sign.

On the other hand, I wonder if it is lawful for the police to ask anybody to sign a document when the police must know the person can't read and understand it. 

Yes, it is legal.  This is Thailand and official documentation such as police reports/charges will always only be in the Thai language* that 99.9% of the population understand.

*  Unless a translation (that will always defer to the original Thai language document) is attached.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Maybe this would help?

"AirTag is a super easy way to keep track of your stuff. Attach one to your keys, slip another in your backpack."

Been reading up them.....correct me if I'm wrong......they rely on the presence of a high-ish density of apple phones in and around the area they are in......so no problem in the city......but ify in the sticks?

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

65 year old expats with memory and other health problems:

just the sort of criminals the cops crack down on with maximal effort

Really?  Anything to back up that such as relevant examples, not including the case in the OP that has not yet been concluded?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He has not even been to court yet, and I doubt any jail time would come from the case. Sensational Headline though.

He has: 'Søren's initial court proceedings did not favour him. His unsatisfactory legal representation and language barriers worsened his predicament, leading to a conviction and the looming threat of prison."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Parked at Schipol a few years ago.....my floor in the multi-story was....I hate my mother in law.

Found the car after four weeks away no problem.

How is that post confusing????

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 12.32.47.png

• Confused 1